• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Miles Davis "My Funny Valentine" Sony DSD remastered lp facsimile cd release.

20-MYFUNNYVAL.jpg

I've been listening to this album more than 45 years! I have a handful of editions but like this one, which I may have played more this century than others. I'm using this version as it's so familiar it will help to evaluate a new fuse I'm trying in my power regenerator. I love this music!

Pepper Adams & Barry Altschul - Be-Bop? (Musica). This is fairly hard-to-find yet relatively inexpensive LP from France. I'm listening to it via mp3 files created from a needle-drop CD-R that was made from an original LP. 3 steps from Kevin Bacon. :)

Piano sounds very rinky-dink. Must be a French thing (That's a joke revolving around the piano sound on Hank Mobley's "The Flip"). I do wish this was more readily available as it's not a bad date. To answer the title's question - no - this is not Be-Bop. It's bop, certainly, but this is not going to warm the cockles of a be-bop fan's heart. No matter how hard the French tenor player (Jean-Pierre Debarbat) tries, he still comes off sounding like a poor man's Coltrane "sheets of sound" during most of his solos.

Be-Bop? - Wikipedia

3 hours ago, jlhoots said:

I like his playing too. His new SteepleChase quartet CD with Kirk Knuffke is terrific.

Will have to look for that.

Riley has clearly listened to a lot of tenor players, and distilled much. But I do find his sound closer to Lucky Thompson's than about any other tenor I can think of.

2 hours ago, Joe said:

Will have to look for that.

Riley has clearly listened to a lot of tenor players, and distilled much. But I do find his sound closer to Lucky Thompson's than about any other tenor I can think of.

CD title is Friday The 13th.

11 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Miles Davis "My Funny Valentine" Sony DSD remastered lp facsimile cd release.

20-MYFUNNYVAL.jpg

I've been listening to this album more than 45 years! I have a handful of editions but like this one, which I may have played more this century than others. I'm using this version as it's so familiar it will help to evaluate a new fuse I'm trying in my power regenerator. I love this music!

Me too, for almost 45 years. My Funny Valentine really impressed me, until then I only had the "Steamin" Album from 1956 and this more open stuff and the fast Version of "All Blues" really was something to listen to.