JSngry

So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

61,418 posts in this topic

81CNTK0uE4L._SL1500_.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MS5qcGVn.jpeg

For whatever reason this is my first listen to this album and it's phenomenal. Definitely leaves a "what could've been" thought in my mind. It doesn't look this has ever been reissued with alternate tracks, and so I wonder if those possibly exist? If so, would be great to see those released at some point. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Dub Modal said:

MS5qcGVn.jpeg

 

For whatever reason this is my first listen to this album and it's phenomenal. Definitely leaves a "what could've been" thought in my mind. It doesn't look this has ever been reissued with alternate tracks, and so I wonder if those possibly exist? If so, would be great to see those released at some point. 

 

 

 

 

If you come across the LP version, grab it. The CD, or whatever reason, jacks up a Roy Brooks saw solo. Can't remember if they erased it altogether or just remixed it down to the point of inaudibility. Whatever, it leave a gap in the music that just doesn't sound right, imo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, JSngry said:

If you come across the LP version, grab it. The CD, or whatever reason, jacks up a Roy Brooks saw solo. Can't remember if they erased it altogether or just remixed it down to the point of inaudibility. Whatever, it leave a gap in the music that just doesn't sound right, imo.

Noted :tup

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rabshakeh said:

It's a different thing. Bertrami is the keyboardist from Azymuth. It's a lot more Jazz than that group, but still...

 

I know Azymuth and enjoy what I've heard so will have a listen to Bertrami, thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jazzbo said:

I never saw him, but one of my first three jazz LPs (all received at once) was his fantastic "Blues Shout" on Atlantic which influenced my jazz. discovery..

Blues Shout is a fine one! :tup

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/4/2022 at 8:16 AM, mjazzg said:

Some of those take me right back. Loved Light of the World at the time

That was a great opener for this session. Time constraints kept me from going through the whole thing but I'll revisit. It's one of those "radio" style playlists where the songs aren't shown in succession, only what's playing at that moment. Maybe after some time period they convert to listing out the playlist? I had to write these down as they popped up...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mjazzg said:

I know Azymuth and enjoy what I've heard so will have a listen to Bertrami, thanks

I very much enjoy Azymuth, but I think Bertrami's two solo releases -- Blue Wave and Dreams Are Real -- are even better.  Like Rab said, more jazz-oriented.

 

 

NP:

My02ODQ3LmpwZWc.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JSngry said:

If you come across the LP version, grab it. The CD, or whatever reason, jacks up a Roy Brooks saw solo. Can't remember if they erased it altogether or just remixed it down to the point of inaudibility. Whatever, it leave a gap in the music that just doesn't sound right, imo.

Also noted in that it doesn't seem there was never a Japanese LP made, only a German LP and US/Euro/Japan CDs (and of course, an 8-track!). Seems prime material for these current BN reissue programs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JSngry said:

If you come across the LP version, grab it. The CD, or whatever reason, jacks up a Roy Brooks saw solo. Can't remember if they erased it altogether or just remixed it down to the point of inaudibility. Whatever, it leave a gap in the music that just doesn't sound right, imo.

I got it, never spin since long time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Dub Modal said:

Also noted in that it doesn't seem there was never a Japanese LP made, only a German LP and US/Euro/Japan CDs (and of course, an 8-track!). Seems prime material for these current BN reissue programs. 

I would hope that the saw remains on the master tape, or more accurately that the master tape with the saw remains. And that whoever's doing the Toned Poets series knows the difference.

It's kinda weird to know a record one way for decades, then get excited about it finally coming out on CD only to find that they've made a fundamental "change to one of the cuts, one of the more memorable parts, actually.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

71JH55q-G3L._SL1000_.jpg

Remember Charles McGee? He's on some cuts here. On the whole, a good "local" type record.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

61Ncj0ZtiaL._SX425_.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ray Brown's Bag

with Blue Mitchell and Rice Kamuca

41O+Fqa0lGL._AC_UY218_.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Comin%27_Home_%28Larry_Coryell_album%29.With Albert Dailey, just a couple of months before his death:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ab67616d0000b2732e60958e4148f6d5f5b01f58

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, JSngry said:

I would hope that the saw remains on the master tape, or more accurately that the master tape with the saw remains. And that whoever's doing the Toned Poets series knows the difference.

It's kinda weird to know a record one way for decades, then get excited about it finally coming out on CD only to find that they've made a fundamental "change to one of the cuts, one of the more memorable parts, actually.

There is a cd version without edits to the saw. I have it and think I got it off a member here. I think it’s a Japanese release. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, BillF said:

 

:tup

Saw Leo with a local rhythm section here at Club 43 in Manchester in the later 1960s. It was after he'd made his name as a member of the Gillespie quintet.

Leo live in my hometown Viena in his later live. Sorry to say he had a stroke that left his fingers on one hand impaired. I used to meet him on many occasions at Jazz Spelunke where we talked and he was tellin me how he works to get back playing. He had that rubber ball to get back the strenght in his fingers. Eventually he got back playing. Played a gig with Clark Terry that was on video, can be heard on the second CD of Dizzy in Hamburg 1978. 
His wife Elly who is from Viena, is a very very fine singer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

511CXPH2WJL._AC_UY218_.jpg

:tup

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Alain Jean-Marie "Complete Biguine Reflections" disc 1

Re-playing this disc because I don't have a lot of listening time and it really captured me yesterday. I totally adore the playing of bassist Eric Vinceno here. And the energy and verve of this music is something that helps me this week.

513e1dc2-9488-44b2-b268-2a8c758c8bb5.jpg

Edited by jazzbo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ab67616d0000b27384987edc7f13303f38ea769b

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.