Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Late

2019: Blue Note's 80th Anniversary

241 posts in this topic

On 2/15/2020 at 7:55 AM, bresna said:

And look at the covers of these two pressings. Blue Note has embarrassed themselves with these things.

https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/86433820_10158201412693833_1015104400739270656_o.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_ohc=ludEUCHsqKgAX_cOzPn&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2.xx&oh=d51da0f8956458c82e99713b1fbb6244&oe=5EB94771

Damn - I forgot to take the vinyl sleeve off of the older pressing... and yet, it still looks better than that new one.

I thought I read somewhere where these releases are supposed to be pretty basic, not fancy like the Tone Poet. 

Edited by Brad

12 minutes ago, Brad said:

I thought I read somewhere where these redorases are supposed to be pretty basic, not fancy like the Tone Poet. 

That is true. But at the same time, how hard could it be to get a better cover scan and make sure it looks good? It still says "Blue Note" on it so that should stand for something. It's not like it says "Applause Records".

1 hour ago, bresna said:

Cuscuna did say that he gave Horace Silver the recordings made at Pep's in 1964.

I think you're right Lon... I seem to remember that he said that he gave one to Shorter. Wasn't it that 1970 date? The one that Shorter blamed Duke Pearson for messing it up?

That's what I think it is.

5 hours ago, JSngry said:

The Tyrone set is pretty good, actually. The Dorham is best kept in the can - forever. Haven't heard the Wayne, but I gotta think it would have come out by now if there was any merit to it past being a failed curiosity.

Have never heard any of them, not adept at sources for this sort of thing, wish I was.

1 hour ago, bresna said:

That is true. But at the same time, how hard could it be to get a better cover scan and make sure it looks good? It still says "Blue Note" on it so that should stand for something. It's not like it says "Applause Records".

I suppose they’re devoting minimum capital to the cover but, yeah, you’re right. I don’t have any of these. How do they sound?

3 hours ago, bresna said:

Cuscuna did say that he gave Horace Silver the recordings made at Pep's in 1964.

I think you're right Lon... I seem to remember that he said that he gave one to Shorter. Wasn't it that 1970 date? The one that Shorter blamed Duke Pearson for messing it up?

I believe Horace got the Pep's tapes, but Shorter did not ask for his session.

When I worked on the composition appendix for the Shorter book, I tried to get more info on what the 5 songs actually were. Wayne's response was that he did not remember the record at all!

I remember that comment about Pearson, and I am trying to figure out more about Wayne's relationship with Duke. Duke produced four Wayne sessions for Blue Note, I am not convinced Wayne was not happy with his work. Joe Chambers told me Duke was very hands off, almost invisible, at the sessions, so how could he mess it up? Lots of loose ends to tie up...

Edited by bertrand

I don't know. . . Wayne is nearly as old as my father. My father is a very accomplished person who has forgotten significant portions of his accomplishments and history. It's quite possible Wayne was given the tapes, destroyed them and forgotten about them. Or not. Either way, I don't suspect we'll ever see an official release, and these tapes have not seemed to surface among collectors.

I heard the Wayne session described one time (perhaps by Cuscuna?) as a "funk" record. WTF do you suppose that meant?

24 minutes ago, JSngry said:

I heard the Wayne session described one time (perhaps by Cuscuna?) as a "funk" record. WTF do you suppose that meant?

Funk music is dance music that mixes rhythm and blues music with soul music. Funk bands use many rhythm instruments, such as electric guitar, bass guitar, drums, and keyboard instruments, mainly synthesizers and electronic organs.

Something like this?

27 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Something like this?

Exactly!

Maybe George Butler sold the tapes to Columbia and then they dubbed Wayne out and made it a Percy Faith record instead. 

Maybe that's what happened to a lot of people and a lot of things.

This music business thing, I imagine that it's not without its mysteries and Irs intrigues.

2 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Maybe George Butler sold the tapes to Columbia and then they dubbed Wayne out and made it a Percy Faith record instead. 

Maybe that's what happened to a lot of people and a lot of things.

This music business thing, I imagine that it's not without its mysteries and Irs intrigues.

That's the ticket!

6 hours ago, jazzbo said:

I don't know. . . Wayne is nearly as old as my father. My father is a very accomplished person who has forgotten significant portions of his accomplishments and history. It's quite possible Wayne was given the tapes, destroyed them and forgotten about them. Or not. Either way, I don't suspect we'll ever see an official release, and these tapes have not seemed to surface among collectors.

Wayne was not given the tapes to destroy, I guarantee you.

I was hoping he would remember the 5 compositions that were on the session. It was in 2006. He was 73 at the time. And he still remembers his music today at the age of 86.

5 hours ago, JSngry said:

It was Matt Pierson. I asked a couple of people who heard it. Not a funk record by any stretch.

Edited by bertrand

12 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Sometimes you gotta let shit go.

Yep.  Obviously Wayne has.