Resonance Records Sale

Brad

6 hours ago, JSngry said:

Listened to it just last week, in fact. It's mostly a Don Friedman trio demo session (with Pete LaRocca) that is modestly pleasant. Solid, and it would certainly have been useful for getting gigs in places that couldn't afford big names but still wanted a big name sound to get people in the house.

There's also a lo-fi-ish tape of LaFaro and Bill Evans running around looking for harmonic options on "My Foolish Heat" that is....interesting, sorta, although I myself do not really like that song very much, so to me it sounds like, ok, you found that to do with it, so what, it's still My Fucking Foolish Fucking Heart, so big deal. Bill does most of the invention, Scott just catches up along the way, and, yu know, 50+ years later, it's hard to to listen at it and thing jessus guys, the song's not that hard, really, but...what they were finding then was not tehn common, so...you had to be there, and with this record, you can be. It's nothing radical, it's just a lot more movement to the harmony. We take it for granted today, and again, it's STILL "My Foolish Heart", but I can appreciate what they were doing at the time, and get over how it might sound like two guy who don't even know the song.

And then there's a little interview reminiscence from Bill about Scott where the interviewer gets kinda ghouly about wow this must have really fucked you up, and Bill just kinda gets allanalytically detached and says oh yes it was a terrible blow, i don't think he's really dead, i think he's still here, etc. I think there's heroin in his voice, but maybe not, maybe it's just how he was about that type of thing.

If that sounds like a pleasant kind of auxiliary addition to you well-rounded jazz record collection, then carpe-diem.

One fair warning, though - it appears that Don Friedman has offered the demo session in slightly fuller(?) form (and with his own reminiscences) for the Japanese market.

Whatever you do, though, don't look at a picture of LaFaro's wrecked car. That shit will fuck you up.

Thanks for the review. Sounds interesting but may pass on it. 

Appears to be a nice little company. Several impressive releases like Bill Evans. I purchased the Eric Dolphy Musical Prophet. Had trouble with web site, and did through their phone. Very nice lady. Ordered Friday, arrived today. Nice padded envelop, first class mail.

The Evans at the Top of the Gate is excellent (an especially strong "'Round Midnight"); good sound too. The sound on the Evans in London is not so hot. As a longtime non-fan of Eddie Gomez, I have to say that he plays well on both albums, as does Marty Morell. My order arrived with blinding speed.

My order arrived today (Nat King Cole Hittin' the Ramp box, Larry Young in Paris, Charles Lloyd Manhattan Stories, Jones/Lewis Orchestra All My Yesterdays).

This is the first time I had ordered from Resonance and I am very impressed: everything was packed well and shipped inside a sturdy box. And the digipacks and/or slipcases are very nice quality; the Larry Young and Jones/Lewis are even in larger size slipcases for those 2-CD sets.

This should be a fun weekend of listening to a lot of new-to-me music.

Edited by pglbook

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/17/2020 at 9:02 PM, felser said:

Also good opportunity to get the crown jewel of the catalog IMO, the Larry Young  ORTF Paris set. 

Yes, I think that's the best. But the Wes Montgomery in Paris and the Nat Cole are also very nice.

Also good opportunity to get the crown jewel of the catalog IMO, the Larry Young  ORTF Paris set. 

Yes, I think that's the best. But the Wes Montgomery in Paris and the Nat Cole are also very nice.

• 10 months later...
14 hours ago, colinmce said:

Does anyone know if they ever repressed the Larry Young CD in a normal-sized package? The one I have fits absolutely nowhere that makes sense and it's just enraging.

It’s a challenge keeping box sets in several different CNN places due to their variation in size. Fortunately I have different shelving options with room to expand for now.

34 minutes ago, felser said:

The Jones/Lewis and the Hubbard from the sale items.  And the MIngus and the Larry Young from their overall catalog.

I’ve been sorta tempted by the Hubbard one with Phil Ranelin on trombone. I’ve got most all of Ranelin’s own leader dates, and I understand this may be the only live document of him with Hubbard (I think that’s right).

I’ve streamed it a few times, but this sale price makes it tempting.