COVID-19 III: No Politics For Thee

2 hours ago, mjazzg said:

strict 6 month gap here between second doses and boosters so it's another 3 weeks + for me. Having had a major op in the interim I wish it were sooner especially given our government's negligent management of community infection levels.

I'm getting my booster specifically because the boonies of Maine are spreading the new variant like a wildfire. 620 new cases yesterday and 7 more deaths. The numbers are almost back to their peak levels in Maine, with many of them in rural areas with very low vaccination levels. Some counties are still only in the 50% range. About the only good thing is that it makes it easier for us to get a booster as these anti-vaxxers refuse to get it.

Edited by bresna

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

35 minutes ago, bresna said:

I'm getting my booster specifically because the boonies of Maine are spreading the new variant like a wildfire. 

I take it you are medically compromised in some way? I thought boosters were at this stage only for seniors and those with medical conditions, and I know you are only a year or so older so if I missed something and I can get a booster I'll be doing so.

3 hours ago, mjazzg said:

strict 6 month gap here between second doses and boosters so it's another 3 weeks + for me. Having had a major op in the interim I wish it were sooner especially given our government's negligent management of community infection levels.

Friends of mine who were in London the other day were shocked at the total lack of social distancing and refusal to wear masks of many of the people using the Underground. Not exactly helping the situation.

Edited by sidewinder

29 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Friends of mine who were in London the other day were shocked at the total lack of social distancing and refusal to wear masks of many of the people using the Underground. Not exactly helping the situation.

It's been like that for a while now. People believe it's all over and done with thanks to 'Freedom Day' rhetoric and lack of leadership in how to behave - full cabinet meeting, no masks etc, etc.

Sadly health policy based solely on "common sense" and "individual choice" is not sustainable and could be described in many more ways less generous.

It appalls me that 1000+ deaths/week is no longer worthy of mention by any government spokesperson. It's as if that's an acceptable fatality rate. Almost as if the much mooted and denied "herd immunity" policy has been there all along

51 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

I take it you are medically compromised in some way? I thought boosters were at this stage only for seniors and those with medical conditions, and I know you are only a year or so older so if I missed something and I can get a booster I'll be doing so.

Check all the details of what is a qualifying medical condition. Diabetes (maybe even “pre-diabetes”) counts, so does high blood pressure, or a BMI over 30.0 — plus some others I’ve forgotten the details of. Not everyone does, but there are a lot of ways to qualify.

1 hour ago, Dan Gould said:

If you go to the Walgreens website to make an appointment, one of the selections reads, "Patient is 18-64 years of age and is at increased risk of COVID-19 exposure and transmission due to their work environment, based on individual benefit and risk". I qualify to check this. My wife qualifies to check this. We're both getting our booster shot.

And as I said, it's not like there's a shortage of vaccines up here in Maine, so there's no reason to restrict booster shots for those that actually want one.

Give it a try on the Walgreens website.

38 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

It's been like that for a while now. People believe it's all over and done with thanks to 'Freedom Day' rhetoric and lack of leadership in how to behave - full cabinet meeting, no masks etc, etc.

Sadly health policy based solely on "common sense" and "individual choice" is not sustainable and could be described in many more ways less generous.

It appalls me that 1000+ deaths/week is no longer worthy of mention by any government spokesperson. It's as if that's an acceptable fatality rate. Almost as if the much mooted and denied "herd immunity" policy has been there all along

I guess you could write a whole thesis about this mentioning population density, ethnic vulnerabilities, levels of obesity, age, area deprivation etc. but how many of those 1000+ were double vaccinated? Very few, I would suggest.

3 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

I guess you could write a whole thesis about this mentioning population density, ethnic vulnerabilities, levels of obesity, age, area deprivation etc. but how many of those 1000+ were double vaccinated? Very few, I would suggest.

I'm with you on that and I am not very tolerant at all of those choosing not to be vaccinated, apart from for medical reasons. I've spent too much time recently in the caring hands of the NHS to feel much sympathy for those who are wilfully stretching very thin resources by choosing not to protect themselves.

But how many of them would have been infected if community infection levels weren't so high. Also, high levels of infection have proven fertile ground for variants. I simply believe more can be done and that we're witnessing an increasingly laissez-faire approach from the government which seems at odds with a lot of medical opinion at the moment.

21 hours ago, mjazzg said:

I'd say our Boris has a touch of the Bolsonaros, wouldn't you? :(

On 10/28/2021 at 7:53 AM, bresna said:

If you go to the Walgreens website to make an appointment, one of the selections reads, "Patient is 18-64 years of age and is at increased risk of COVID-19 exposure and transmission due to their work environment, based on individual benefit and risk". I qualify to check this. My wife qualifies to check this. We're both getting our booster shot.

And as I said, it's not like there's a shortage of vaccines up here in Maine, so there's no reason to restrict booster shots for those that actually want one.

Give it a try on the Walgreens website.

Let me add - vaccine-administering clinics aren't going to check whether you qualify as high-risk or not (you just check a box on a form).  We don't have a vaccine shortage in the US, and lots of doses get thrown away.  The efficacy of the vaccines is shown to diminish over time.  No judgment from me if you decide to get a booster past 6 months, even if you're not in a high risk category.

I think it is somewhat unfortunate the FDA/CDC didn't choose the Israeli strategy of offering boosters to everyone.  Even if the vaccines aren't perfect at limiting transmission, it makes a big difference.

I'm really shocked by how much death the US experienced over the past 4-5 months, almost all avoidable because people refused to take a free, widely available vaccine.  Over 10,000 avoidable deaths in Florida alone. :(

Edited by Guy Berger

56 minutes ago, Guy Berger said:

I'm really shocked by how much death the US experienced over the past 4-5 months, almost all avoidable because people refused to take a free, widely available vaccine.  Over 10,000 avoidable deaths in Florida alone. :(

People are ready to get sick & die because some person on the TV screen told them it was their god-given right as an American to refuse the vaccine. It's also within their rights to cross the street without looking in both directions, but you don't see them doing that. They are playing a strange version of Russian Roulette.

Me? I'll choose getting a proven vaccine over getting sick & possibly dying every time. Every single time.

1 hour ago, jazzbo said:

And it goes hand in hand with the idiocy of believing a BIG FAT LIE from a big loser and it is astonishing how many swallow this . . . and infuriating how many elected officials support and distribute this. It's an awful time for our country.

Not just the US sadly. We have our own version of the 'big loser' with a different set of lies but to similar effect. 

On 10/29/2021 at 10:15 AM, bresna said:

People are ready to get sick & die because some person on the TV screen told them it was their god-given right as an American to refuse the vaccine. It's also within their rights to cross the street without looking in both directions, but you don't see them doing that. They are playing a strange version of Russian Roulette.

It’s a lot worse than crossing the street without looking in both directions, because it also endangers other people - unvaccinated people (unless previously infected by COVID) are much more likely to transmit the virus to other people.

The proper comparison is probably to drunk driving.