Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 hours ago, jazzcorner said:

JasmineJAS 61 [Licensed from  MCA] - Hank Jones & Oliver Nelson " Happenings" - rec. 1966 - Enginer:Bob Arnold

46392988rq.jpg

I didn't like this at all. Especially the harpsichord tracks. The only reason I still have it is because I got Jones to sign it for me. Even he gave me the side eye when I handed it to him for his signature. :)

1 hour ago, bresna said:

I didn't like this at all. Especially the harpsichord tracks. The only reason I still have it is because I got Jones to sign it for me. Even he gave me the side eye when I handed it to him for his signature. :)

Better than having Eddie Higgins tell you "Burn it!" when mentioning "The Music of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" and then immediately turning to someone else who had gathered to talk to him.  Eddie was a gentleman but that record really set him off. I should go back and listen again.

46 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

Better than having Eddie Higgins tell you "Burn it!" when mentioning "The Music of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" and then immediately turning to someone else who had gathered to talk to him.  Eddie was a gentleman but that record really set him off. I should go back and listen again.

That's really funny.

2 hours ago, bresna said:

I quite like the record, especially the electric harpsichord. I presume it's on @Teasing the Korean's radar.

5 minutes ago, Ken Dryden said:

Imagine asking Phil Woods about Greek Cooking...

I always wondered why he ended up recording it. What is the story?

Just now, Rabshakeh said:

That's really funny.

I was warned about mentioning that record before I spoke to him at this particular gig, but it was also before I actually sat down for an interview with him and then, things went so well that I broached the subject and he was cool about it. Later on he didn't even ask that I take it out of the transcript (the interview ran in two parts in Cadence).

18 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

That's really funny.

I quite like the record, especially the electric harpsichord. I presume it's on @Teasing the Korean's radar.

I always wondered why he ended up recording it. What is the story?

I am sure that the gig paid well enough for Woods. I actually heard the oud player on that LP sitting in with the Dave Brubeck Quartet in Charlotte, NC. I have some photos taken from the side of the stage and a soundboard recording of the set, courtesy of Russell Gloyd, Dave's manager.

10 minutes ago, Ken Dryden said:

I am sure that the gig paid well enough for Woods. I actually heard the oud player on that LP sitting in with the Dave Brubeck Quartet in Charlotte, NC. I have some photos taken from the side of the stage and a soundboard recording of the set, courtesy of Russell Gloyd, Dave's manager.

Was it just a Zorba tie in or something?

3 hours ago, bresna said:

Well thats your opinion. Will spin it again and will see what it makes with me. Have it for many years but must say Ididnt play it for the last 5.

5 hours ago, bresna said:

That version of ‘Winchester Cathedral’ on the album would have the bones of the Anglo-Saxon Kings located up in the rafters of that institution shaking in their caskets !

Edited by sidewinder

It's funny how harpsichords only had a short time in the limelight.  However, during that brief time, they showed up all over the place.  Particularly in movie soundtracks.  If the movie happened to be made during the High Harpsichord period, it was nearly inevitable.  There had to be a harpsichord just like there had to be a sleek roadster (preferably British or Italian) -- for that extra whiff of Euro sophistication. . . .  I mean a piano is smart.  And the electric piano is hip.  But a harpsichord!  Come on!  It's no contest!  

:P 

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

GW could make ANY instrument sound good.  I love that stuff.  Seriously.

Edited by HutchFan