Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

LmpwZWc.jpeg

Ernst Raijseger & Alan "Gunga" Purves---------Cellotape & Scotchtape-------(Data) 1981

Beautiful duet. I was lucky enough to catch Gunga guest recently with Playtime quartet. He was born here in Edinburgh but seems to have spent most of his career in Amsterdam. His style is very reminiscent of Han Bennink.

Edited by Clunky

Just now, Clunky said:

LmpwZWc.jpeg

Ernst Raijseger & Alan "Gunga" Purves---------Cellotape & Scotchtape-------(Data) 1981

Beautiful duet. I was lucky enough to catch Gunga guest with Playtime quartet. He was born in Edinburgh but seems to have spent most of his career in Amsterdam. His style is very reminiscent of Han Bennink.

This looks good. I'll track it down.

Richard "Groove" Holmes - Get Up & Get It! (Prestige). I wanted to like this date more than I did. This is my second time playing it & my opinion hasn't changed much. It has a killer band with Groove, Pat Martino, Teddy Edwards, Paul Chambers & Billy Higgins but they don't always sound like they're on the same page.

There are some good things on here. The blues on side 2, Groove's Blues Groove (B2) is nice. The title track has it's moments as does Broadway, but I am really not a fan of their cover of Pennies From Heaven (B3) and from Teddy's solo effort here, it sounds like he wasn't either. It also has some weird multiplexed organ stuff during Groove's solo that sounds awful. It's like Van Gelder split the feed and delayed one channel versus the other but reduced the delay as Groove kept going. And Groove hits this sustain note during the out chorus that makes me think he's just fucking with my dog. The other tune that just didn't sound great was Teddy's original (A2) Lee-Ann. I didn't find it to be a good attempt at a bossa tune & Groove's organ effects (Van Gelder's?) really don't fit the tune. So I guess it's just 2 out of 6 tunes that I wasn't digging. :)

image.jpeg.9caa0c4aa9653a78337cbde418194c78.jpeg

Edited by bresna

51 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

I remember seeing him once - must have been right at the end of his career.

Re Al Viola

like his  playing very much. A quite underrated and not too well known guitarist

from the west coast. Many years ago we had Ralph Towner for a solo concert in your club in Germany.

19 minutes ago, bresna said:

Richard "Groove" Holmes - Get Up & Get It! (Prestige). I wanted to like this date more than I did. This is my second time playing it & my opinion hasn't changed much. It has a killer band with Groove, Pat Martino, Teddy Edwards, Paul Chambers & Billy Higgins but they don't always sound like they're on the same page.

There are some good things on here. The blues on side 2, Groove's Blues Groove (B2) is nice. The title track has it's moments as does Broadway, but I am really not a fan of their cover of Pennies From Heaven (B3) and from Teddy's solo effort here, it sounds like he wasn't either. It also has some weird multiplexed organ stuff during Groove's solo that sounds awful. It's like Van Gelder split the feed and delayed one channel versus the other but reduced the delay as Groove kept going. And Groove hits this sustain note during the out chorus that makes me think he's just fucking with my dog. The other tune that just didn't sound great was Teddy's original (A2) Lee-Ann. I didn't find it to be a good attempt at a bossa tune & Groove's organ effects (Van Gelder's?) really don't fit the tune. So I guess it's just 2 out of 6 tunes that I wasn't digging. :)

image.jpeg.9caa0c4aa9653a78337cbde418194c78.jpeg

After your critic I have to play it again. Cant remember those 'weak' spots you did mention. Thankjs for the comments.

1 hour ago, porcy62 said:

Ny0yMjczLmpwZWc.jpeg

Japan

😁 👍 

1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

It was on his own turf in the LA area that I saw him. It was part of a larger group, a recreation of one of those vintage West Coast sessions.

RE Al Viola

congrats to see him life. Here are more Items in my stock

Just now, jazzcorner said:

RE Al Viola

congrats to see him life. Here are more Items in my stock

46729354ss.jpg

45336099ss.jpg

46729357ly.jpg

2 hours ago, sidewinder said:

An interesting variation on the UK Deram cover (which was available as single LPs and 2 LP set I think).

Yes, it's about a quarter of the price of buying the UK versions. Unfortunately the US version side 4 is pressed off centre which leads to a little distortion.  This will do until I can afford a UK upgrade.

Great music