Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

17 hours ago, kh1958 said:

I did not realize there were 15 volumes! I have two.

Here is a listing of my cvopies

The Hard Swing JWC-508        1955-57       World Pacific Rec.

The sound of Bigband Jazz in Hi-Fi JWC-514         1955-57       World Pacific Rec.

Jazz Coast Jazz , Vol. 2 JWC-501      1955/56       Jazz West Coast(japan)

Jazz West Coast Vol. 3   1956  Jazz West Coast

Rogers and Hart Gems (Baker/Kitty White) JWC-504     1956  Jazz West Coast(japan)

Have Blues, Will Travel The Blues Vol 2 JWC-509  1956-58       World Pacific Rec.

Jazz West Coast Jazz Vol. III JWC-507     1956/57       Jazz West Coast(japan)

Jazz Pianists Galore JWC-506  1957  Jazz West Coast(japan)

Solo Flight - Jazz West Coast 505     1957  Pacific Jazz

Jazz West Coast (Anthology) JWC 500       1957  World Pacific Rec.

The Blues JWC-502        1957  World Pacific Rec.

The Blues in Stereo JWC-513   1957-59       World Pacific Rec.

Jazz West Coast Vol 4 JWC-510        1958  World Pacific Rec.

Blowin`The Blues JWC-512       1959  World Pacific Rec.

West Coast Jazz Vol. 5 JWC-511        1959  World Pacific Rec.

On 1/7/2024 at 2:50 PM, mjazzg said:

Turning the heat up, it's cold today

Primary

Milford Graves - Children Of The Forest [Black Editions, 2023]

one of the albums of last year

Now playing. Super fast service from Honest Jon’s.  Beautifully produced music in all ways possible 

2 hours ago, Clunky said:

Now playing. Super fast service from Honest Jon’s.  Beautifully produced music in all ways possible 

I'm glad you're enjoying it.  It's a fabulous release

I'm playing

Kofi Flexxx - Flowers In The Dark [Native Rebel, UK 2023]

having streamed it a few times I thought it was time to actually buy it. Until reading the credits just now I hadn't realised @Alexander Hawkinswas so involved in it.

1 hour ago, soulpope said:

Excellent ....

9 hours ago, optatio said:

👍

9 hours ago, mikeweil said:

Ny05NzcxLmpwZWc.jpeg

You are right. All those Savoy albums (I think others like the Charlie Parker album) had similar covers and I think I picked up some of them during my "learning years" as a teenie. They all are great and I think that they were the foundation for my understanding of bop. All of ´em, the Dexter sides, the J.J. Johnson, Fats Navarro, Mr. B and the Band, Lester Young. 

The only downer for me with those old studio records was or is, that you don´t hear the drummer recorded properly. 
I understood more of what Bird and Co are doing when I heard live albums like "One Night at Birdland" where you hear Art Blakey really loud, and it makes you to understand the music much better if you hear what the drummer does. 
I mean Savoy had them all, Max Roach, Kenny Clark, Shadow Wilson, Art Blakey and who was there, but you don´t HEAR them. I think someone recommended to me the Black Lion Byas Album "Anthropology" where you hear the band better. 

2 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

You are right. All those Savoy albums (I think others like the Charlie Parker album) had similar covers and I think I picked up some of them during my "learning years" as a teenie. They all are great and I think that they were the foundation for my understanding of bop. All of ´em, the Dexter sides, the J.J. Johnson, Fats Navarro, Mr. B and the Band, Lester Young. 

The only downer for me with those old studio records was or is, that you don´t hear the drummer recorded properly. 
I understood more of what Bird and Co are doing when I heard live albums like "One Night at Birdland" where you hear Art Blakey really loud, and it makes you to understand the music much better if you hear what the drummer does. 
I mean Savoy had them all, Max Roach, Kenny Clark, Shadow Wilson, Art Blakey and who was there, but you don´t HEAR them. I think someone recommended to me the Black Lion Byas Album "Anthropology" where you hear the band better. 

I still have the sticker to this album ...

Sticker Savoy (Copy).jpg

8 hours ago, soulpope said:

Excellent ....

It really is. I had not listened to this since I bought it and pulled it to find out whether I need the Byas Mosaic set. But it will be hard to gather the funds for it this year.

7 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Engineers back then had the problem that bass drum kicks could throw the cutting stylus out of the groove. That is why they held back or were muffled. And that is how it became a standard in the recording business. I agree with you. Drummers and rhythm are so underrated.

Edited by mikeweil

21 hours ago, mjazzg said:

I'm glad you're enjoying it.  It's a fabulous release

I'm playing

Kofi Flexxx - Flowers In The Dark [Native Rebel, UK 2023]

having streamed it a few times I thought it was time to actually buy it. Until reading the credits just now I hadn't realised @Alexander Hawkinswas so involved in it.

Oh yes, that's a really interesting record...the sessions were a really fun process. (FWIW I also play on 'Eyes In The Tower', the Con & Kwake release on Native Rebel...a hip hop record with some very interesting production!). Thanks for listening!

As soon as I typed the question, the answer POPPED into my head!   

So I deleted the post.  But you were too quick on the draw for me.  ;) 

What's funny is that I spent about 20 minutes last night poking around on the web, trying to come up with a name that fit.  But it was only when I wrote down the question that the answer just bubbled up in my brain. 

Oh well.  I'm slow but I get there eventually.

Edited by HutchFan

On 1/7/2024 at 3:57 AM, HutchFan said:

Another recent retrieval from a shop's bargain bin:

20240106-211743.jpg

Blakey, Diz, Monk, et al - The Giants of Jazz (Atlantic, 2 LPs)

The album cover is tatty (both top seams are blown out), but the vinyl is in NM condition and plays beautifully, especially since I've given the discs a few spins on my RCM.

I've heard this music before via streaming services, but (as usual) it sounds much better coming from my stereo -- both musically speaking and AQ-wise.

Here is more from this historic group from my collection(incl. your copy):

- Atlantic SD 2-905 The Giants Of Jazz - 2 LP set

- Joker (Japan) ULS-141 KR Bop Fathers in Paris - 2 LP set

- EmArCy (Japan) Giants Of Jazz In Switzerland (1972)

- EmArCy (Japan) Giants Of Jazz In Berlin '71

46915944pv.jpg

and on CDs two Items

43361353pf.jpg

Edited by jazzcorner

44 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

I haven't listened to Topography in a long, long time. It's incredible though. Hard to forget the first time with records like this, Machine Gun, Nipples, Karyobin...

25 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

It's a favourite of mine too.

I'm glad to finally have Topography in my collection.   Like I said, I get there eventually.

Edited by HutchFan

53 minutes ago, jazzcorner said:

Here is more from this historic group from my collection(incl. your copy):

- Atlantic SD 2-905 The Giants Of Jazz - 2 LP set

- Joker (Japan) ULS-141 KR Bop Fathers in Paris - 2 LP set

- EmArCy (Japan) Giants Of Jazz In Switzerland (1972)

- EmArCy (Japan) Giants Of Jazz In Berlin '71

Thank you, jazzcorner!  I need to track down some of those other albums.