• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I splurged and got the new re-pressing of the Thelonious Monk “Tenor” albums 7 LP box set from Analogue Productions. I had sold a few things, and bought it on impulse. I didn’t have any audiophile versions of these albums and had not listened to them (in the Complete Riverside Recordings cd box set) for some time. . . maybe I should not have, but there you go.

Listening to the first LP, “Brilliant Corners,” which is here in the mono mix. Sounds great with my current phono set up. Mastering by Kevin Gray and the pressing are excellent. I broke my rule about spending money on new LP reissues, but I always wanted this when it was first released on either LP or cd and couldn’t afford it then. . . I sortof can now.

6553c542668cfb89c0461acfdec32ebc0ccdd26d

Edited by jazzbo

This LP is mono and I wish it were stereo. It has such a flat sound. Little ambiance, unless you count the reverb added to Elvin Jones' drums in places. It makes it sound like each player is in an isolation booth and when they solo, you only get the mic from that booth.

22 hours ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

This LP is mono and I wish it were stereo. It has such a flat sound. Little ambiance, unless you count the reverb added to Elvin Jones' drums in places. It makes it sound like each player is in an isolation booth and when they solo, you only get the mic from that booth.

The best way to hear those JJ Columbias is likely on the Mosaic set. The only one I have on separate LP I think is 'A Touch of Satin' on a UK CBS issue.

1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

The best way to hear those JJ Columbias is likely on the Mosaic set. The only one I have on separate LP I think is 'A Touch of Satin' on a UK CBS issue.

That is a great Mosaic set. For some reason, it doesn't get the accolades. Maybe because it's Columbia & not Blue Note? :)

14 minutes ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

That is a great Mosaic set. For some reason, it doesn't get the accolades. Maybe because it's Columbia & not Blue Note? :)

Yes, it is a gem of a set. If my memory is right I bought it in the LP version when it was on 'last chance' on the Mosaic site. Those were the days..

On 4/26/2024 at 7:55 AM, jazzcorner said:

Norgran MG N-1017 - Bud Powell " Jazz Original" - rec. 11 & 12 1955

45389410xd.jpg

45389412xj.jpg

45389411pn.jpg

Quite a strange record indeed. My copy is titled "Bud Powell 1957" . There are some tunes that Bud rarely played. "That Black Old Magic" returned to his set lists one decade later after he had returned to New York, as well as "Though Swell"  and "Someone to watch over me". It´s interesting to compare this slightly stride version with the ballad version he did 10 years later on "The Return of Bud Powell", which is my favourite version. 

14 hours ago, Pim said:

IMG-7083.jpglovely live record and great sonics on this one!

I love Pharoah Sanders and have loved his music as early as the 70´s when he put out all those great records for Impulse I think. When I was in my early teens I got his first record "Live at the East". 

What personnel is on this one ? 

On 4/26/2024 at 11:05 PM, Chuck Nessa said:

Ny03Mzc1LmpwZWc.jpeg

I think this one is from the same time like "Soul Station" and is another great record. I think Soul Station and this one are my favourite Mobley records. 

OC05NzIxLmpwZWc.jpeg

FIve Times Six (Cat Records)

yesterday on the King's annual birthday flea market, I didn't even try, but a year ago, I actually managed to find an album from my extended wish list... so playing it again on the occasion (even though commentators pointed out that the King lost quite a bit of weight over the year, so that there's substantially less King to celebrate this year than a year ago...)

4 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

I love Pharoah Sanders and have loved his music as early as the 70´s when he put out all those great records for Impulse I think. When I was in my early teens I got his first record "Live at the East". 

It has Danny Mixon on piano and organ, Calvin Hill on bass and Greg Bandy on drums. It’s a Pharoah favorite being very groovy and accessible but also creative and original in sound. Pharoah didnt sound like an exact Coltrane copy yet but had his own thing. 

5 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

26 minutes ago, Pim said:

It has Danny Mixon on piano and organ, Calvin Hill on bass and Greg Bandy on drums. It’s a Pharoah favorite being very groovy and accessible but also creative and original in sound. Pharoah didnt sound like an exact Coltrane copy yet but had his own thing. 

This is one of my favourite Sanders records. There is a real smoothness to it, along with a lot of brawn.

On 4/27/2024 at 6:53 AM, soulpope said:

great Cover Art too ....

My wife burst laughing when I brought it out of the bag.