• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, Brad said:

IMG_6305-L.jpg

Is "Ain´t no sunshine" such a simple stuff with chord vamps in e minor and some "lyrics" that always goes "I know I know I know......." ? I have terrible memories about that. It was in my "un years" where due to some issues I was largly unable to play in public and when I finally decided to lead a jam session in a 2nd or 3rd class joint with a shit box of a piano we tried to settle an evening program and had a fair 1 set with some good jazz standards but the jam after intermission was a mess, a weak hornplayer, a good but too overwhelming guitarist and then there was a male vocalist and he called something with "Sunshine", but not "You´re my sunshine" or "You are the sunshine of my live" where you still could manage to play some stuff out of it, so it was that quite monotonous e-minor thing with that "I know I know I know" and the guitar player turned on the heat and played them one chord two chord vamps and the only right thing is that I stood up, left the stage and went out into the night to lit a cigarrette until they would be done ......

1 hour ago, Gheorghe said:

.... It was in my "un years" where due to some issues I was largly unable to play in public and when I finally decided to lead a jam session in a 2nd or 3rd class joint with a shit box of a piano we tried to settle an evening program and had a fair 1 set with some good jazz standards but the jam after intermission was a mess, a weak hornplayer, a good but too overwhelming guitarist and then there was a male vocalist and he called something with "Sunshine", but not "You´re my sunshine" or "You are the sunshine of my live" where you still could manage to play some stuff out of it, so it was that quite monotonous e-minor thing with that "I know I know I know" and the guitar player turned on the heat and played them one chord two chord vamps and the only right thing is that I stood up, left the stage and went out into the night to lit a cigarrette until they would be done ......

Da muss man durch 😂😇😂 ....

6 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Is "Ain´t no sunshine" such a simple stuff with chord vamps in e minor and some "lyrics" that always goes "I know I know I know......." ?

Ha, yep. The draw of that tune is Withers' singing and the break beat. 

Now spinning:

MS0zODAzLmpwZWc.jpeg

Sabicas - Flamenco Virtuoso (MHS); licensed by CSP

I just noticed an odd coincidence.  Like the Fajardo LP I posted above, this Sabicas LP was also originally released on Columbia (see below):

ODUtMzExMC5qcGVn.jpeg

I understand that Sabicas was a huge influence on Paco de Lucía.  

Listening now, it's not hard to understand why.

4 hours ago, HutchFan said:

.... this Sabicas LP was also originally released on Columbia (see below):

ODUtMzExMC5qcGVn.jpeg

Excellent ....

On 5/8/2024 at 3:15 AM, HutchFan said:

Now spinning:

MS0zODAzLmpwZWc.jpeg

Sabicas - Flamenco Virtuoso (MHS); licensed by CSP

I just noticed an odd coincidence.  Like the Fajardo LP I posted above, this Sabicas LP was also originally released on Columbia (see below):

ODUtMzExMC5qcGVn.jpeg

Can also recommend these:

47591846zn.jpg

Just finished: Jazz At The Flamingo - 10th Anniversary Tribute (Ember Records/Future Noise). This is a various artists compilation that I picked up cheap at Acoustic Sounds a few years back. Good stuff. It's still there for $15 if you're looking for an addition to your cart for free shipping. :)

image.jpeg.171a2b7900f48a90a9b0ace190645ad4.jpeg

Now playing - Baritone Madness - Heavy Berries (Swing Master). I found this one in a dollar bin years ago and rarely play it. As much as I like bari sax, the music isn't very compelling.

image.jpeg.fdab78320468354ed9d04f1a289fe956.jpeg

The Beatles - Magical Mystery Tour (Apple Germany). I was able to pick the "true stereo" LP (A1/B3 matrix) a few years ago before the prices went nuts. I actually had this "back in the day" as I had heard about it from a local record shop (Shirl's Record Whirl in Holyoke, MA) when I was a teenager so I had her special order me a copy. The release of these stereo mixes on CD kinda ruined the novelty of this LP as it's not the best vinyl I've ever owned but it does make for an interesting story.

image.jpeg.0fc3e5909e2439e1b1083e086eed48d6.jpeg

32 minutes ago, soulpope said:

Beautiful Cover Art for sure ....

I don´t usually listen to that kind of jazz but "Stompin´at the Savoy" is a tune I always did like, you really can do still a lotta things with that fine tune in that beautiful key of D flat. 
If Oscar doesn´t overdo this one I mean if he plays at least a bit more sparce (like he would on some records like "Night Train" or on that Pablo think with Lockjaw Davis, I think it could sound nice.......

17 hours ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

Just finished: Jazz At The Flamingo - 10th Anniversary Tribute (Ember Records/Future Noise). This is a various artists compilation that I picked up cheap at Acoustic Sounds a few years back. Good stuff. It's still there for $15 if you're looking for an addition to your cart for free shipping. :)

image.jpeg.171a2b7900f48a90a9b0ace190645ad4.jpeg

Now playing - Baritone Madness - Heavy Berries (Swing Master). I found this one in a dollar bin years ago and rarely play it. As much as I like bari sax, the music isn't very compelling.

image.jpeg.fdab78320468354ed9d04f1a289fe956.jpeg

I seems there is not many bari players around here since I must admit I never played with one.

But who is the players here ? There was really a good conclave of bari on Mingus´ "Something like a Bird" where you have them great players Pepper Adams, Ronny Cuber, and who knows else, and the really flippin´ on there chorusses and taking 16´s , 8´s , 4´s , there is no better bari battle I have ever heard. 

But who is on this one ?