• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

00.jpg

donald byrd - spaces and places

I remember hearing a track from that back in the day on BBC Radio 1 through my transistor radio, singles chart show. A one-off abberation for a jazz artist ! (John Handy's 'Hard Work' excluded)

I guess that is a wrong perspective, would you like it if wasn't Byrd but Isaac Hayes?

And Electric Byrd is a gorgeous record.

Ah - slight misunderstanding. Abberation not by Byrd but the Beeb !

harris_beav_negcaumon_101b.jpg

NEGCAUMONGUS. Cadence Jazz LP. Undeservedly obscure (at least to me) avant album by Beaver Harris. Maybe the title didn't help. Anyway, with Don Pullen, Francis Haynes, Ken McIntyre, Ricky Ford, Hamiett Bluiett, and Cameron Brown. I think Cadence is remaindering the heck out of these LPs.

20124.jpg

Goin' Up the Country (Rounder). Mississippi/Louisiana field recordings made by David Evans in 1966. The two threads that emerge from this record are the influence of the great Tommy Johnson and the distinctive sound of the Benontia (Mississippi) school of blues, despite some commentators' insistence that no such school exsists.

20124.jpg

Goin' Up the Country (Rounder). Mississippi/Louisiana field recordings made by David Evans in 1966. The two threads that emerge from this record are the influence of the great Tommy Johnson and the distinctive sound of the Benontia (Mississippi) school of blues, despite some commentators' insistence that no such school exsists.

Thanks for the reminder, Jeff. I'll have to give that one a listen.

115749071.jpg

The LP of this. Floros Floridis, Ilias Papadopoulos, Peter Kowald - Pyrichia [Ano Kato Records]. Intriguing combination with Papadopoulos playing lyre

followed by

567251.jpg

Edward Vesala - Bad Luck Good Luck [Leo records]

Vesala powering UMO with Stanko and Aaltonen out front

Edited by mjazzg

BUD_POWELL_-_Bouncing_With_Bud.jpg

Bud Powell - Bouncing With Bud (Delmark stereo). I would prefer this in mono, I think; the way NHOP's bass is panned hard right separates him from the piano too much.

This was a "brand new" release when I went to work at Delmark/Jazz Record Mart. I checked and see my copy is mono. The stereo was probably issued a few months later.