• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

21 hours ago, sidewinder said:

NzMtMjIyNy5qcGVn.jpeg

2-Eye stereo. Some really strong playing and compositions from Wayne on this one. In fact, it seems more of a Wayne Shorter album than a Miles Davis album. RIP.

Now listening to this LP too, prompted by your post.  :tup

Such beautiful, elusive music. 

Edited by HutchFan

6 hours ago, Pim said:

2-FAC2-F01-F2-D1-47-AA-AF96-DDC727-B8-FD

with Frank Lowe, Juma Sultan, Robert Bruno, Earl Freeman and the great Rashied Ali. 

still on the hunt for those other Noah live dates from this period. Pity they are so hard to find.

The reissues are weirdly expensive too, considering how little Frank Wright reissues go for.

Edited by Rabshakeh

14 hours ago, Pim said:

C78-F7-B0-D-DEE0-4-C38-8-C02-D2-EF0135-A

such a great series!

I love all those "Uncle Pö" series and have a lot of them. 
This is the Woody Shaw band I heard live in 1983. The best band I think.

I also have an older Woody Shaw from Onkel Pö and he is also on a Louis Hayes-Junior Cook.

I mostly listen to live recordings, since on those an can hear the drums better than on most of the studio records.

9 minutes ago, Pim said:

this one remains available at Discogs but I’m pretty sure it’s unofficial? It sounds pretty good for a boot and the cover is very nicely done. This awesome record deserves a proper reissue.

Agreed! :tup 

I wish this Nathan Davis LP -- same label, released the following year -- would be reissued too:

davis_natha_6thsensei_101b.jpg

Edited by HutchFan

8 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Agreed! :tup 

I wish this Nathan Davis LP -- same label, released the following year -- would be reissued too:

davis_natha_6thsensei_101b.jpg

Yeah I still haven't heard that one. Might do a Youtube stream because I am very curious. Anyone around here who knows something about the Segue label? According to Discogs it was from Pittsburgh?

2 minutes ago, Pim said:

Yeah I still haven't heard that one. Might do a Youtube stream because I am very curious. Anyone around here who knows something about the Segue label? According to Discogs it was from Pittsburgh?

You should definitely give it a listen. 

I've only heard it via YT.  The least expensive listing on discogs at the moment is $300.  Not feasible.

B4-B0-FEF4-1-EFD-4-ADB-8-E60-F580413-BD3

My obsession for completing my Mal Waldron collection (and love for Nathan Davis) made me spent the most money I spent on a single lp for this one. But I haven’t regretted it for a second. This whole band is like magic: Davis + Waldron is a match made in heaven, then there’s Jimmy Woode on bass which is one of the most under appreciated bassists I know and well: Art Taylor needs no explanation. 

The record is mostly in the ‘Rules of Freedom’ style. It’s the most ‘free’ Nathan Davis that I know on record. Sound isn’t very good and I would love to hear if someone like Fred Thomas from Sam Records could do something nice with it. The fact that according to RYM this is the least known Nathan Davis record hurts. It’s really, really good. just listen to that first steamer and then the beautiful ballad that’s coming next. 

31 minutes ago, Pim said:

Anyone around here who knows something about the Segue label? According to Discogs it was from Pittsburgh?

Pim,

Here's some background info on Nathan Davis: https://londonjazzcollector.wordpress.com/2021/06/13/who-is-nathan-davis-a-guest-post/

Davis was from Pittsburgh, so it makes sense that Segue was based there.

8 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Wasn’t it his own label, when he was Prof. at Pittsburgh?

Per the linked post, it was not Davis' label -- although he was the first artist to record for them:

"Segué Records ... was an unsuccessful attempt by the WRS Motion Picture Labs in Oakland, Pittsburgh (Oakland is the part of town that hosts the Pitt and CMU campuses) to get into the music business. History has it that Segué Records went out of business after losing money pressing records for several unsuccessful rock music releases..."

2 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Ha, fair enough. All I know is that I’ve never ever seen an original LP on that label !

Me neither.

When I was a tyke in 1971-72, we lived just outside Pittsburgh.  Wish my parents had picked up those LPs and set them aside for me!  :P 

Back to this LP that I picked up recently:

OS05NjgzLmpwZWc.jpeg