Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, bresna said:

Is that the one that got pulled for some reason?

Yes, apparently it was a boot of the ‘Commonwealth Blues’ CD.

There is a rumour of a forthcoming Tubby Hayes release coming up in great sound from the master tape and I’m suspecting it will be this one, based on BBC transcription recordings for overseas broadcast.

Dexter Gordon - Jive Fernando (Chiaroscuro Records). The sound isn't great on this. Gordon goes on & off mike in places. I bought this because I figured it was legit (Chiaroscuro right?) but it looks like it's not. "Jive Fernando" is really "Fried Bananas" and "Montmartre" is mis-titled as "Momadua". They even got the bass player's name all wrong. What a mess they made of this. This is going into the trade/sell pile.

Dexter Gordon – Jive Fernando (1981, Vinyl) - Discogs

Benny Carter - Jazz Giant (Contemporary/Craft). This is the new LP that just came out a few months ago. It sounds very good. The covers on these Craft LPs are so much better than the ones made for Blue Note's "Classic Vinyl" releases, which sell for around the same price. Blue Note should emulate these covers rather than the cheap Rainbo knock-offs. :)

Primary

1 minute ago, bresna said:

Benny Carter - Jazz Giant (Contemporary/Craft). This is the new LP that just came out a few months ago. It sounds very good. The covers on these Craft LPs are so much better than the ones made for Blue Note's "Classic Vinyl" releases, which sell for around the same price. Blue Note should emulate these covers rather than the cheap Rainbo knock-offs. :)

Primary

Craft have just announced today that they are reintroducing the OJC series with Kevin Gray/RTI/tip-on and two initial releases in March. I would have been interested but I pretty well have everything I need on the old Fantasy labels on LP and CD. No doubt there will be meltdown on the Hoffmann Board.

16 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

I only discovered Gallery -- and the follow up, Impala (which also features Allen) -- in the last couple years. 

Two terrific LPs.  :tup 

Remember seeing Oliver doing his solo show in the 90s.

30 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Craft have just announced today that they are reintroducing the OJC series with Kevin Gray/RTI/tip-on and two initial releases in March. I would have been interested but I pretty well have everything I need on the old Fantasy labels on LP and CD. No doubt there will be meltdown on the Hoffmann Board.

Given the sheer size of the OJC catalog, I don't think we'll ever see them all done this way. :)

Yeesh this "AAA" stuff...the only way I'd be all-in on something like that is if I could ace a BFT 100% to name the digital vs analog tracks at all times without fail. There's just no way the majority of listeners can pick that out.

What's funny is that obviously that kind of retro-fitting tech to meet customer demand inevitably produces complaints about the price - like every single time! AAA is a boutique marketing differentiator and it demands higher overhead (esp if you use celebrity mastering engineers) which of course filters to retail point of sale. If you want it, you gotta fork it over. That type of dissonance is wild to see happen in real time. 

1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

Yeah, the chances of seeing many of those ‘limited edition’ releases put out is pretty well zilch. 

I suspect it will be more churning out of the Miles/Monk/Coltrane/Evans/Baker etc. catalogues.

Yeah I could see why they are of no interest to the more experienced collector. But as a young fellow who started collecting vinyl about 7 years ago (there is probably no less profitable thing I know…)  I am very happy with these reissue series as even the more usual suspects are still pretty hard to get these days. As a matter of fact both Workin’ and Thelonious Monk with John Coltrane were on my wishlist. 

but I am all there with you hoping on some more obscure titles as well!