• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Primary

Claude Decloo, Arthur Jones - Africanasia [BYG, France 1969]

Primary

Arthur Jones - Scorpio [BYG, France 1971]

revisiting Arthur Jones, love his playing. On listening today I'm surprised that he hasn't been rediscovered by the 'Spiritual Jazz' crowd, he ticks a lot of their boxes.

EFBEC305-0080-4509-A604-991-E0-E77922-D.

16 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Primary

Claude Decloo, Arthur Jones - Africanasia [BYG, France 1969]

Primary

Arthur Jones - Scorpio [BYG, France 1971]

revisiting Arthur Jones, love his playing. On listening today I'm surprised that he hasn't been rediscovered by the 'Spiritual Jazz' crowd, he ticks a lot of their boxes.

Yeah I like him too, which probably doesn’t surprise ;) pity he hasn’t record any more records.

my four week old daughter and me had our first (almost entire) day of listening to records... if there's one we can agree upon, it's most likely this meeting between Art Hodes and the late 70s Atlanta trad jazz scene... Ni01MDk2LmpwZWc.jpeg

5 hours ago, Niko said:

my four week old daughter and me had our first (almost entire) day of listening to records... if there's one we can agree upon, it's most likely this meeting between Art Hodes and the late 70s Atlanta trad jazz scene... Ni01MDk2LmpwZWc.jpeg

Congratulations!

7 hours ago, mjazzg said:

I was listening to him recently and really enjoying his playing on Your Prayer by the Rev Frank Lloyd.

Jones' career is weird - seemingly entirely in the "Paris period" captured by BYG. So many good records from that period. Then almost nothing, unless I am missing some records (which I hope I am).

As for the spiritual jazz brigade, my guess is that no Strata East and no Impulse! equals no spiritual jazz revival cache.

8 hours ago, Pim said:

B85-F7314-55-DD-4-CCA-B530-7-F53430689-E

Classic ‘60’s freejazz. Great reissue by BoWeavil

Great record. I have that reissue too 

On 2/28/2023 at 4:53 PM, bresna said:

Lou Donaldson - Forgotten Man (Timeless). Typical "Lou plays like Bird" LP but with the added bonus of twangy early-80s bass sound. :) It's not bad but I wouldn't call it great either.

Primary

Not a huge fan of Lou's singing either. It's not terrible, but I think he might have better off sticking to the sax.

I missed that, I think when this came out the only Lou Donaldson on record I knew was from his session with Monk. 
He seemed to be quite a "forgottten Man" until the end of the 70´s . 

I heard him at least 3 or 4 times, two of them with Herman Foster on piano. He is great with them heavy block chords, but that´s all, he does it great, but that means that almost each tune get´s into that direction. That´s why I like the "Lou Take´s Off" with Sonny Clark much more than all the stuff with Herman Foster. I would have liked to hear him with another pianist in the 70´s or 80´s , maybe Cedar Walton or Kenny Drew... 
But I still remember the first time I saw him on a festival , he played "Cheek to Cheek" in a very fast tempo. I love that and I love to play it too.  But I saw only a shorter part of the set, because like those huge festivals are: At the same time in 3 different halls there was Jackie McLean, Lou Donaldson, Pharoah Sanders, and I had to hurry to catch something from each one, I think I spent most of the time listening to the Jackie McLean group, little time (just that tune) Lou, and still enough time to hear some very fine Pharoah....

1 hour ago, Gheorghe said:

I missed that, I think when this came out the only Lou Donaldson on record I knew was from his session with Monk. 
He seemed to be quite a "forgottten Man" until the end of the 70´s . 

I heard him at least 3 or 4 times, two of them with Herman Foster on piano. He is great with them heavy block chords, but that´s all, he does it great, but that means that almost each tune get´s into that direction. That´s why I like the "Lou Take´s Off" with Sonny Clark much more than all the stuff with Herman Foster. I would have liked to hear him with another pianist in the 70´s or 80´s , maybe Cedar Walton or Kenny Drew... 
But I still remember the first time I saw him on a festival , he played "Cheek to Cheek" in a very fast tempo. I love that and I love to play it too.  But I saw only a shorter part of the set, because like those huge festivals are: At the same time in 3 different halls there was Jackie McLean, Lou Donaldson, Pharoah Sanders, and I had to hurry to catch something from each one, I think I spent most of the time listening to the Jackie McLean group, little time (just that tune) Lou, and still enough time to hear some very fine Pharoah....

Only saw Lou the once but that was with Dr Lonnie Smith.

I remember when the Timeless ‘Forgotten Man’ came out - it got lukewarm reviews over here. Lou’s profile had dropped significantly after the end of his long stint on Blue Note. Recovery started in the mid 80s. The Japanese never lost interest though, reissuing ‘Blues Walk’ and the like.

It is time to put on Lou’s Blue Note Mosaic set !

1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

I remember when the Timeless ‘Forgotten Man’ came out - it got lukewarm reviews over here. Lou’s profile had dropped significantly after the end of his long stint on Blue Note. Recovery started in the mid 80s. The Japanese never lost interest though, reissuing ‘Blues Walk’ and the like.

Yeh, lukewarm reviews. 
The worst thing I ever heard was a LD record on BN from around 1974 with that mixture of studio band playing backbeat stuff. I had bought it since I had thought it is a newer album, but after one listening I literally threw it into the garbage can. 

The "Blues Walk" and the Japanese interest: YEAH. I had heard they had some tea houses were they did spin jazz records, and Japanese folks were crazy about BN stuff and hard bop, and "Blues Walk" as well as "Cool Struttin" were big hits over there. The last time I saw Lou live he had a Japanese Girl on organ, she was fine, and a Japanese drummer. But it was very simple drum style, the way it´s on more than one BN records with organ....., 

4 hours ago, sidewinder said:

I only saw Lou with an organ player. A couple of times with Dr. Lonnie Smith and another couple of times with Akiko Tsuruga in the organ chair. I swear that he played the exact same set, song for song, every time I saw him and he often had the same chats between the songs. Funny one time, a chuckle for the second time and then, "Really Lou?" by the third time. :)

I do agree with Gheorghe on Foster's block chord playing. On "Forgotten Man", it does get very repetitive and is part of the reason why I said it was not bad but not great.

At one of those shows, I got one of my favorite autographs.

Lou Donaldson-Blues Walk-Small.jpg

Edited by bresna