Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

IMG-3818.jpg

A record I just keep getting back to. With the recent Tapscott Flying Dutchman release in mind I wonder if there’s also unreleased stuff on the vaults by these guys. 

Edited by Pim

IMG-3822.jpg

so I owned this masterpiece on Fontana pressing which looked good but didn’t sound good. So bought this original 1964 club pressing instead and yes, this sounds much better. So incredibly happy with it.

On 4/28/2023 at 1:16 PM, mjazzg said:

Primary

Kinichi Nakanoshima - Koto & Flute [Liberty, UK 1968]

thanks to @JSngry. Definitely interesting, as you said 

Not sure if this is the copy for you, but if you can find a decent example of this set, it'll be well worth the change:

https://organicmusic.jp/en/products/yonin-no-kai-developments-of-japanese-traditional-music-1

not on discogs. 

nope, dunno the seller -- the record set is hard to find. Occasionally it pops up on google searches but not that often.

On 4/27/2023 at 10:45 AM, Niko said:

OC05NzIxLmpwZWc.jpeg

Herbert Noord - Five Times Six

it wasn't that cheap at 15 Euro but not expensive either and: I did manage to buy a nice record from my want list at that dreaded country-wide street market on the occasion of the king's 56th birthday... but I sure didn't try hard, just was lucky enough to walk by a box of jazz albums on a street corner... a classic of experimental organ jazz from Europe (not that there are many albums in that genre)

Excellent album. I miss Herbert.

1 hour ago, clifford_thornton said:

nope, dunno the seller -- the record set is hard to find. Occasionally it pops up on google searches but not that often.

Thanks, I went for it. Sounds like it might not be the best condition but price wasn't too bad.

I'm intrigued by that Noord. I read your interview online, nice one

4 hours ago, Pim said:

IMG-3822.jpg

so I owned this masterpiece on Fontana pressing which looked good but didn’t sound good. So bought this original 1964 club pressing instead and yes, this sounds much better. So incredibly happy with it.

I reckon that there is a good chance that this one will eventually appear under the Tone Poet series.

I have a Pacific Jazz copy but the preference is probably for the Mosaic tracks covering this one.

6 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Primary

Charlie Mariano - with The Chris Hinze Combination [Freedom/Black Lion, UK 1973]

Is this one recommended? I had it in my hand last week, intriguing in some respect but not all (i.e. Hinze is not a plus where I have heard him so far)

1 hour ago, clifford_thornton said:

Yes, very nice album and thanks for that interview which is an asset... Last weekend i got the Soulbrass Inc record as my birthday present for myself, completely different but equally fascinating... De Kroeg is next up and then I have Noord covered on LP (plus the CD with Dulfer and Joop Scholten which is great as well)

7 minutes ago, Niko said:

Is this one recommended? I had it in my hand last week, intriguing in some respect but not all (i.e. Hinze is not a plus where I have heard him so far)

That was my first listen and I wasn't knocked out by it, all seemed a bit reserved. The carnatic track was the one that stood out for me. If you're ambivalent i wouldn't imagine it would change your mind greatly but it was cheap!

55 minutes ago, Niko said:

Yes, very nice album and thanks for that interview which is an asset... Last weekend i got the Soulbrass Inc record as my birthday present for myself, completely different but equally fascinating... De Kroeg is next up and then I have Noord covered on LP (plus the CD with Dulfer and Joop Scholten which is great as well)

yeah, all those Noord sessions are hot stuff. Glad you enjoyed the interview!

Re: Hinze, he's in fantastic form on Dick van der Capellen's "The Present Is Past," released on Relax in 1967.

https://www.discogs.com/release/7000631-Dick-Van-Der-Capellen-Trio-The-Present-Is-Past

It's an excellent and little-known Dutch avant-garde jazz record. And I think the Mariano is good, too.

24 minutes ago, jazzcorner said:

45113027nf.jpg

45113026wv.jpg

Must be nice. First I had thought this is the Dex-Griff Encounter from my old LP "Great Encounters" which also has Blues Up and Down", but it is not. The rhythm section must be really great. I have read so much about Hampton Hawes´ time in Europe in his autobio "Raise Up Off Me" and I think I have read that he had played with Griff in Italy, but didn´t read about an encounter with Dex and Griff together too. 

I only have one Dex-Hawes collaboration where it is also Kenny Clark on drums, but Hawes plays the Fender Rhodes, which also sounds nice. 

I saw Jimmy Woode very often during his stay in Europe, but to my shame I never saw "Klook" live. I had hoped he will be there with the "Paris Reunion Band" but he was not. I didn´t have the money to go to Paris during the time Klook worked there.