What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

On 5/12/2023 at 8:19 AM, mjazzg said:

Difficult to say as this set didn't have the booklet. My very sketchy understanding is that Yonin No Kai were an ensemble aiming to re-present, and possibly reinvigorate, traditional Japanese music,they formed in the 50s.

Shakuhachi, koto, sangen and jushichigen are featured instruments, sometimes with chamber orchestra added playing pieces by a variety of composers and some traditional pieces. I don't know if the composers were contemporary in the 70s when the box was released or were earlier. I need to do that research still.

I've often flirted with Japanese music, primarily through shakuhachi playing (sadly not by me I hasten to add) and love the sound so dived in when Clifford suggested this set.

Clifford may well know more and will hopefully be able to correct any misunderstandings I'm listening under. 

Yonin No Kaï were an ensemble that was sometimes interested in performing modern classical works using traditional Japanese instrumentation. They have wonderful recordings on Ocora that're worth checking out.

Two of the works on that album are from Michio Mamiya who used to favor 12-tone techniques mixed with traditional instrumentation, but later concentrated on scoring films - mostly animated I think. I think he's still alive, tho in his 90s.

Ryuta Ito - the other composer - on the other hand, was more interested in dividing his time between music and medicine. I don't believe he's still alive.

On Wednesday's radio show, I featured unusual modern Japanese music. Instead of modern classical, it was more J-Pop, Shibuya-Kei, Kawaii, Chiptune, Toy-Tronica, and some other things mixed up in there too, but there are some mighty wonderful contemporary classical Japanese works out there. I'd start with the "Nirvana Symphony" from Mayuzumi.

Edited by rostasi

• Replies 55.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, rostasi said:

Yonin No Kaï were an ensemble that was sometimes interested in performing modern classical works using traditional Japanese instrumentation. They have wonderful recordings on Ocora that're worth checking out.

Two of the works on that album are from Michio Mamiya who used to favor 12-tone techniques mixed with traditional instrumentation, but later concentrated on scoring films - mostly animated I think. I think he's still alive, tho in his 90s.

Ryuta Ito - the other composer - on the other hand, was more interested in dividing his time between music and medicine. I don't believe he's still alive.

On Wednesday's radio show, I featured unusual modern Japanese music. Instead of modern classical, it was more J-Pop, Shibuya-Kei, Kawaii, Chiptune, Toy-Tronica, and some other things mixed up in there too, but there are some mighty wonderful contemporary classical Japanese works out there. I'd start with the "Nirvana Symphony" from Mayuzumi.

Great, thanks for this.

I have heard the 'Nirvana Symphony'

Edited by mjazzg

4 hours ago, Pim said:

IMG-3902.jpg

This one of the jazz records I grew up with.

Me too! 🎺

46 minutes ago, jazzcorner said:

45651106nz.jpg

Featuring beside Frank also Harold Land / Victor Feldman / Stan Levey / Leroy Vinnegar

rec.Dec 22, 1958. Issue of this LP: 1986

👍

On 5/12/2023 at 9:19 AM, mjazzg said:

Difficult to say as this set didn't have the booklet. My very sketchy understanding is that Yonin No Kai were an ensemble aiming to re-present, and possibly reinvigorate, traditional Japanese music,they formed in the 50s.

Shakuhachi, koto, sangen and jushichigen are featured instruments, sometimes with chamber orchestra added playing pieces by a variety of composers and some traditional pieces. I don't know if the composers were contemporary in the 70s when the box was released or were earlier. I need to do that research still.

I've often flirted with Japanese music, primarily through shakuhachi playing (sadly not by me I hasten to add) and love the sound so dived in when Clifford suggested this set.

Clifford may well know more and will hopefully be able to correct any misunderstandings I'm listening under. 

pretty much correct. Some contemporary some earlier,  IIRC. The book is cool so hopefully you find a complete copy someday. I don't really know kanji and therefore haven't added this release to Discogs. I believe there was a CD version as well at one point, though I may be mistaken about that. It's a very interesting set.

2 hours ago, kh1958 said:

Howard Rumsey's Lighthouse All Stars Meet Charlie Persip and His Jazz Statesman, Double or Nothin' (Liberty)

Terry Gibbs, Take It From Me (Impulse)image.jpeg.366fce107f46fdb31863b1d59f8a1e40.jpegimage.jpeg.f31ddd51a88821a5d68ec8fd845064c8.jpeg

👍 👍

Edited by BillF

On 5/13/2023 at 12:14 PM, rostasi said:

The Ocoras I haven't heard but will check them out. 

Mayuzumi is rad. Of course Takemitsu as well, and Joji Yuasa has some pretty fascinating pieces too. There are a wide range of practices within the realm of a European-inspired avant-garde within postwar Japan. 

I've got a couple of boxed sets of Minouru Miki's music and that might be a good place to go next from the Yonin No Kai records. His pieces for koto as played by Keiko Nosaka are sick -- she's performed a lot of new-music work for koto, in addition to more traditional repertoire. 

I have a kind of automatic order situation with a wonderful label called "Edition Omega Point."
This means that I get every new release (and the limited edition versions) of anything on their
"Experimental Music of Japan" series (up to 13 volumes) and their "Obscure Tape Music of Japan"
series (28 volumes). A friend of mine in Japan who's a wonderful baritone, is devoted to contemporary
Japanese composers and is friends with a few of them and we were recently mourning the recent death
of Yori-Aki Matsudaira who's also a very fine composer. Lots of wonderful things out there that you can
easily get lost in.

Agree on Minoru Miki and the great Joji Yuasa. My intro to Takemitsu was back in 1969 when
a local DJ played his "Vocalism Ai" on the radio and I had to have it and I haven't looked back since.
To create that piece, he had recorded over 20 hours of vocals to create a 4 minute work. I've always wondered
what ever happened to those tapes with the raw recordings. About 20 years ago, I bought a set of his complete
works that ran to nearly 60 discs comprising 5 large volumes. Really beautifully presented with great sound.
If you could find it these days, it would cost over $2000, I'm pretty sure.

9 hours ago, rostasi said:

I have a kind of automatic order situation with a wonderful label called "Edition Omega Point."
This means that I get every new release (and the limited edition versions) of anything on their
"Experimental Music of Japan" series (up to 13 volumes) and their "Obscure Tape Music of Japan"
series (28 volumes). A friend of mine in Japan who's a wonderful baritone, is devoted to contemporary
Japanese composers and is friends with a few of them and we were recently mourning the recent death
of Yori-Aki Matsudaira who's also a very fine composer. Lots of wonderful things out there that you can
easily get lost in.

Agree on Minoru Miki and the great Joji Yuasa. My intro to Takemitsu was back in 1969 when
a local DJ played his "Vocalism Ai" on the radio and I had to have it and I haven't looked back since.
To create that piece, he had recorded over 20 hours of vocals to create a 4 minute work. I've always wondered
what ever happened to those tapes with the raw recordings. About 20 years ago, I bought a set of his complete
works that ran to nearly 60 discs comprising 5 large volumes. Really beautifully presented with great sound.
If you could find it these days, it would cost over $2000, I'm pretty sure.

Yeah, Takemitsu is wonderful. I have the Victor box set and a bunch of his Deutsche Grammophon records (missing one rare Japan-only album). 60 discs is something else, however -- wow.

I don't know Matsudaira at all; will check that music out.