Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

TTK, I've been following your posts in this thread, and so much that I want to check out is coming up! Never knew about the Kai Olé! album, but now I need to hear it...

I think this one was intended as a crossover album, but not in a deliberately dumbed-down way.  There are 12 tunes, so nothing is too long.  I remembered really liking it 20+ years ago in front of the wood-burning stove, and yesterday it did not disappoint!

On 6/18/2023 at 8:09 PM, kh1958 said:

Walter Wanderley/Luiz Henrique, Popcorn (Verve)

Miles Davis and The Modern Jazz Giants (Prestige)

Shirley Scott, Mucho Mucho (Prestige)image.jpeg.f77894d3bc9bda6f03dc73e9e3685655.jpeg

image.jpeg.ce5962176c0587e6ad2b68a9ad299732.jpegimage.jpeg.75a5fe1dd1600876c92c5830c57ff921.jpeg

I can speak only about the Miles Davis album. 
I love that session with Monk and Bags. 
And how Monks lays out on Davis´ trumpet solos ......he lays out but you FEEL his presence. And though Miles is not a Monk alumni, his solo on "Bemsha Swing" is the best trumpet solo I ever heard somebody do with Monk. 
It´s quite strange that they also included one classic Miles Davis Quintet track (Round about Midnight), which must have been recorded later . 

5 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

I can speak only about the Miles Davis album. 
I love that session with Monk and Bags. 
And how Monks lays out on Davis´ trumpet solos ......he lays out but you FEEL his presence. And though Miles is not a Monk alumni, his solo on "Bemsha Swing" is the best trumpet solo I ever heard somebody do with Monk. 
It´s quite strange that they also included one classic Miles Davis Quintet track (Round about Midnight), which must have been recorded later . 

The Miles Prestige was a recent lucky find--the cover is not that good but the record is nearly flawless and sounds amazingly lifelike (black and yellow NJ pressing).

Edited by kh1958

Batsumi-----self titled -----(Matsuli) 2023 reissue of 1974 South African jazz recording 

I've a lot of time for the material curated by Matsuli label , even if I've never heard of the material they always deliver (based on a half dozen of their recent re- releases) 

6 hours ago, Clunky said:

I've a lot of time for the material curated by Matsuli label , even if I've never heard of the material they always deliver (based on a half dozen of their recent re- releases) 

Yep. I listen to anything that is reissued by Matsuli. Some beauts.

On 6/19/2023 at 6:02 PM, Teasing the Korean said:

NP:

Osibisa - Woyaya (Decca)

My kids are obsessed with Osibisa