What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

4 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Are these the same Red Onions who were on the Shel Silverstein record?

Yes, i really didn't know what I was buying but did read up on them yesterday evening ... A very long lived band even though Robin "Bob" Hodes was its leader only for a relatively short time...

https://syncopatedtimes.com/the-red-onion-jazz-band-a-hot-time-in-new-york-city/

OS05NDY2LmpwZWc.jpeg

From the same stack of 10in albums, mine has a different cover that may or may not be selfmade... A 1957 live recording from Poland, the first concert by west German Jazz bands since the war... I got this for the band on the b side which has a Frontline if Emil and Albert Mangelsdorff as well as Joki Freund ... Or so i thought... Turned out that for this part of the concert Emil switched to clarinet, Joki to piano and Albert to rhythm guitar for three tracks a la Benny Goodman...

• Replies 55.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

17 hours ago, Niko said:

OS05NDY2LmpwZWc.jpeg

From the same stack of 10in albums, mine has a different cover that may or may not be selfmade... A 1957 live recording from Poland, the first concert by west German Jazz bands since the war... I got this for the band on the b side which has a Frontline if Emil and Albert Mangelsdorff as well as Joki Freund ... Or so i thought... Turned out that for this part of the concert Emil switched to clarinet, Joki to piano and Albert to rhythm guitar for three tracks a la Benny Goodman...

Your description sounds like one that I have as well: MUZA L0159 feat. the Emil Mangelsdorff Swingtett on the B side playing "I Got Rhythm", "Blue Room" and "After You've Gone". My copy has a generic Polskie Nagrania Cover, as do several other 10" LPs from the Sopot (Zoppot) 1956, 57 and 58 festivals that I have. So this seems to have been common practice.
Emil Mangelsdorff playing ina  style reminiscent of the Benny Goodman small groups wasn't uncommon (or to put it another way - it was something to expect ;) ). See his "Swinging Oil Drops" LP from 1966 on CBS (later reissued on L+R).
The cover you show above seems familiar. I may have seen it before. This must be the "export" sleeve. Contrary to the generic Polish label sleeves.

Edited by Big Beat Steve

3 hours ago, Big Beat Steve said:

Your description sounds like one that I have as well: MUZA L0159 feat. the Emil Mangelsdorff Swingtett on the B side playing "I Got Rhythm", "Blue Room" and "After You've Gone". My copy has a generic Polskie Nagrania Cover, as do several other 10" LPs from the Sopot (Zoppot) 1956, 57 and 58 festivals that I have. So this seems to have been common practice.
Emil Mangelsdorff playing ina  style reminiscent of the Benny Goodman small groups wasn't uncommon (or to put it another way - it was something to expect ;) ). See his "Swinging Oil Drops" LP from 1966 on CBS (later reissued on L+R).
The cover you show above seems familiar. I may have seen it before. This must be the "export" sleeve. Contrary to the generic Polish label sleeves.

IMG_20230611_0001_stitch (Copy) (2) (Copy).jpg

IMG_20230611_0005 (Copy).jpg

IMG_20230611_0006 (Copy).jpg

coverfrfpg.jpg

label1rpdy3.jpg

label2u3fz0.jpg

this is my copy, don't know what the yellow vs blue labels mean... the sleeve seems at least partly selfmade, i.e., the red insert in the middle looks rather selfmade... but the words Zopot, Muza, Live as well as the album's catalogue number seem to be printed  at least - so the design seems generic (even though I haven't seen it elsewhere) but the sleeve itself isn't... a previous owner wrote his name and "1959" on the sleeve, suggesting an early issue... 

On 5/18/2023 at 9:59 PM, jazzcorner said:

45676094wd.jpg

This was mentioned and discussed here briefly on 18 May. To my amazement I found a decently priced copy of this vinyl at a local secondhand record shop yesterday and took it home. But I must admit this is an item that I'll have to let grow on me. Judging by what the Cohn-Sims pair usually did this is rather subdued throughout. Here they really take things easy and don't take any chances with changing the intentions and tempos of Hoagy Carmichael's tunes. Which is alright when taken piecemeal but a change of pace and intensity here and there throughout the record could not have done any harm  (maybe they ought to have tackled "Doctor Lawyer Indian Chief" too? 😁). Not that I actually regret buying it - repeated listening might bring out more - but I am not overly surprised this stayed in the can until this vinyl release in 1987.

10 hours ago, Big Beat Steve said:

This was mentioned and discussed here briefly on 18 May. To my amazement I found a decently priced copy of this vinyl at a local secondhand record shop yesterday and took it home. But I must admit this is an item that I'll have to let grow on me. Judging by what the Cohn-Sims pair usually did this is rather subdued throughout. Here they really take things easy and don't take any chances with changing the intentions and tempos of Hoagy Carmichael's tunes. Which is alright when taken piecemeal but a change of pace and intensity here and there throughout the record could not have done any harm  (maybe they ought to have tackled "Doctor Lawyer Indian Chief" too? 😁). Not that I actually regret buying it - repeated listening might bring out more - but I am not overly surprised this stayed in the can until this vinyl release in 1987.

Re: Jasstereo Sims-Cohn

Like your comments ;-]]  😁