• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 6/28/2023 at 1:49 PM, Niko said:

MTMtODg2NC5qcGVn.jpeg

Blues Groove

a Dutch Fontana compilation of Pacific Jazz material... 

I have that. If I recall, that issue doesn’t replicate any US Pacific Jazz compilations and includes some rare tracks. Possibly the Teddy Edwards off the top of my head.

On 6/25/2023 at 8:37 PM, BillF said:

Yes, indeed!

Saw Victor on a triumphant Christmas visit to Ronnie Scott's in 1959, just after he'd joined Cannonball Adderley. :crazy:

Wow. Was that the Gerrard St place? Am I right in thinking it was unlicensed? With a milk dispensing machine?

7 minutes ago, adh1907 said:

I have that. If I recall, that issue doesn’t replicate any US Pacific Jazz compilations and includes some rare tracks. Possibly the Teddy Edwards off the top of my head.

Wow. Was that the Gerrard St place? Am I right in thinking it was unlicensed? With a milk dispensing machine?

Yes, it was Gerrard Street and I think that was the year it opened. I don't recall the licensing arrangements. 🍺

14 minutes ago, adh1907 said:

Yes, that Teddy Edwards Septet track with Hampton Hawes sealed the deal for me... There's also a Les McCann Quartet track with Bobby Hutcherson... And, indeed, surprisingly there seems to be no US equivalent

23 hours ago, adh1907 said:

RE: Blues Groove on Fontana

Slight correction ;-]]

Here are the sources  - LP's from Pacific Jazz

A1 - Pacific Jazz / JWC 512

A2 - Pacific Jazz " Les McCann in New York"

A3 - Pacific Jazz # 319 (EP??) + LP Groovin` Blue Curtis Amy & Frank Butler

A4 - Pacific Jazz new series PJ14

B1 - Pacific Jazz  new series PJ 21 Bud Shank quintet

B2- Pacific Jazz new series PJ16 LesMcCann in San Francisco

B3 - Pacific Jazz new series PJ 36 Ron Jefferson "Love lifted me"

Edited by jazzcorner

On 6/29/2023 at 9:46 PM, Niko said:

Yes, that Teddy Edwards Septet track with Hampton Hawes sealed the deal for me... There's also a Les McCann Quartet track with Bobby Hutcherson... And, indeed, surprisingly there seems to be no US equivalent

Threre are !! Pl. see my list  posted

Thanks

IMG-4177.jpg

My vinyl set up is in the attic room. During summer time it mostly gets too hot to spin a record with temperatures below 70 and some moderate showers today is an excellent today for finally trying out this one.

What an amazing record this is. Every track with its own unique sound and awesome contributions by every band member but especially Lancaster himself and Sonny Sharrock. Superior Viaduct did a great job as this sounds excellent. 

2 hours ago, jazzcorner said:

Threre are !! Pl. see my list  posted

Thanks

Yes, I know, these tracks were issued in the US - what I meant (and I don't know if it's true) is that the compilation as a whole did not exist in the US, only in the Netherlands and the UK

lp_bottom-groove_wild-bill-moore-quintet

Wild Bill Moore - Bottom Groove

1 hour ago, Niko said:

Yes, I know, these tracks were issued in the US - what I meant (and I don't know if it's true) is that the compilation as a whole did not exist in the US, only in the Netherlands and the UK

Ah yes  I see what you mean. The Fontana compilation  could be indeed  a european only edition but which I didnt have in the focus  because I have  some US editions (japanese replica  reissues) with  tracks from that compilation in my stock.

Thanks for making it clear.

Edited by jazzcorner