• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

All of this Bossa Nova talk with the passing of Astrud got me to pull this one off the shelf...

Coleman Hawkins - Desafinado: Bossa Nova & Jazz Samba (Impulse!). My copy is a 1972 pressing from ABC but still used RVG's stampers. This isn't my favorite Bossa Nova record by any stretch, but it is Hawkins. :)

Primary

10 minutes ago, bresna said:

All of this Bossa Nova talk with the passing of Astrud got me to pull this one off the shelf...

Coleman Hawkins - Desafinado: Bossa Nova & Jazz Samba (Impulse!). My copy is a 1972 pressing from ABC but still used RVG's stampers. This isn't my favorite Bossa Nova record by any stretch, but it is Hawkins. :)

Primary

I really like that quartet Hawkins had at this time. I have this on SACD. I like it!

This morning

Paul McCartney----RAM-------(Apple UK)

and a couple of new Italian/Japanese reissue arrivals 

Masahiko Togashi/ Masayuki Takayangi------Pulsation-----( Holy Basil/Paddlewheel) 

Masayuki Takayangi and NEW DIRECTIONS-----Independence , thread on sure ground----(Cindelic /Teichiki)

Ny03OTk4LmpwZWc.jpeg

Bob Hodes & the Red Onion Jazz Band

lunch break find, an original RIverside 10in LP in excellent condition for 3Euro... guess it helps that it's dixieland and that even the biggest name in the group, Joe Muranyi, is not that big... 

Dexter Gordon - One Flight Up (Blue Note/Cisco). This 2007 LP sounds very nice to my ears so I have no reason to update it with the latest Kevin Gray cut for Blue Note. I like the music on this but the echo plate RVG added is an audio minus, not a plus. I've always wished there was a dry master laying around in some lost tape box so that I could hear it.

Secondary, 2 of 12

Primary

Chico Hamilton - Peregrinations [Blue Note, 1975]

finally tracked down a nice copy of this great album. Lovely and sunny in London today and this album is the perfect soundtrack, it's so well put together.

Edited by mjazzg

On 6/8/2023 at 2:52 PM, bresna said:

Makoto Terashita Trio - Ihatov (Tokyo Sound City). I have no recollection of when I bought this. Decent enough trio record. I seem to remember it being on clearance at one of the on-line stores like Acoustic Sounds so I decided to give it a shot.

Primary

cool -- I have a reissue of the quartet record he did with Bob Berg for Union but that's all (nice album).

On 6/8/2023 at 8:59 PM, bresna said:

Now spinning on the turntable: Joe Temperley & Jimmy Knepper - Just Friends (Hep Records). Derek Smith on piano, Michael Moore on bass & Billy Hart on drums. Billy Hart playing drums on a swing-styled LP seems weird to me but what do I know? :)
[IMG]

Does it work?

19 hours ago, Niko said:

Ny03OTk4LmpwZWc.jpeg

Bob Hodes & the Red Onion Jazz Band

lunch break find, an original RIverside 10in LP in excellent condition for 3Euro... guess it helps that it's dixieland and that even the biggest name in the group, Joe Muranyi, is not that big... 

Are these the same Red Onions who were on the Shel Silverstein record?

On 6/8/2023 at 9:59 PM, bresna said:

Billy Hart playing drums on a swing-styled LP seems weird to me but what do I know? :)

I think Jabali is on so many records because he can play in ANY style.  🙂

17 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Primary

Chico Hamilton - Peregrinations [Blue Note, 1975]

finally tracked down a nice copy of this great album. Lovely and sunny in London today and this album is the perfect soundtrack, it's so well put together.

Yes!!!  :tup