Which Mosaic Are You Enjoying Right Now?

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Complete Roulette Live Recordings of Count Basie and His Orchestra. Disk 1 start to finish :cool:

These recordings are timeless. I can't imagine what the Basie band was like in person, say 1959? It must have been a wall of sound and swing: from Marshal Royal's vibrato laden lead alto, to Snooky's piercing lead trumpet, not to mention the rhythm section and every MUSICIAN in between. They were the hippest, most swingin' band in the land. :tup

Later probably my newly acquired Onzy Matthews Select, ok so far...good in spots.

Classic Capitol Jazz Sessions, discs 9 & 10, with some great Eddie Johnson tenor solos on the last two Cootie Williams big band sessions. And the obscure, two-song Murray McEachern session has always fascinated me, and today it really knocked me out - two great, unusual Ellington pieces played by McEachern on alto only (no trombone), with an unknown band that turns in a wonderful performance.

MosaicSelect33_ToshikoAkiyoshiLewTabackin.jpg

This has been on my wishlist for some time! What are your thoughts on the sound quality? I would assume the band is killer!

I will probably order it with the MJQ to save on shipping. THANKS!

Well, I'll answer - the sound quality is very good. All the sessions were recorded in the mid-70's. The music is simply OUTSTANDING! I think this was Toshiko's most creative period. I have heard most of, if not all the band's releases on various labels since the RCA period, but nothing quite matches what's on this set, IMO. And yes, the band is superb.

Edited to add: There are two live RCA sessions not on this Mosaic set - a 2 LP set recorded in Japan and 1 LP at Newport '77. I have them both, but I wish we could get them on CD. They are equally as good.

Edited by John Tapscott