Which Mosaic Are You Enjoying Right Now?

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Listening to the Woody Herman Columbia Recordings Disk VII. I am SO glad I got this set :party: The vocals (which are plenty) are good and do not sound dated :tup . Woody's clarinet and saxophone sound very good in this set, I am not a fan of his 60s (Philips recordings included) playing---his band was GREAT though. I am sure most on this board that wanted this set already have it, since it came out 5+ years ago. BUT if anyone is sitting on the fence and love big band music and great arrangements----all I can say is get it :w

Chubby Jackson is a revelation. WOW. He is extremely propulsive!

This set has FANTASTIC sound, another :tup for Malcolm Addey (though I bet the source material was pristine). Haven't gotten to the booklet yet, but I bet it will be enlightening and enjoyable.

Look for some of his own sessions!

There's the OJCCD pairing a date of his featuring Mulligan with the Fantasy Mulligan quartet tracks, for instance.

Also lately some yurpeen boots...

c56289mfbom.jpgm17285vw537.jpg

on topic: wrapping up my Hill 63-66 listen with two gos through the session for "Compulsion" and two (or three - I'm in the middle of the first now) to the not-so-great session with Sam Rivers.

Edited by king ubu

There's the OJCCD pairing a date of his featuring Mulligan with the Fantasy Mulligan quartet tracks, for instance.

on topic: wrapping up my Hill 63-66 listen with two gos through the session for "Compulsion" and two (or three - I'm in the middle of the first now) to the not-so-great session with Sam Rivers.

SWEET! Thanks :g I will take a look around Amazon. Chubby Jackson with Gerry Mulligan??? Sounds great :tup

Edited by Jazz Nut

SWEET! Thanks :g I will take a look around Amazon. Chubby Jackson with Gerry Mulligan??? Sounds great :tup

There's also a great Chubby Jackson track on BFT #82... check there for a first sample!

The Complete Verve Johnny Hodges Mosaic. This is BEAUTIFUL music :excited: Listening to Zag Zig, Hodges is such a soulful player. Just pure from the heart. Do people play like this anymore????

PLAY THE MELODY PEOPLE :w Ok, ok, I'm all for going "out there" but it's nice to hear Hodges. I think "Fatha" Hines said you can do a lot of things with water; you can make beer, lemonade, coffee, but sometimes pure, cold water is the best. That's what Hodges was. Not a direct quote, but that's the idea :tup

Edited by Jazz Nut

That Lou Donaldson set is a fine one. I haven't dug it out in a while, I'll have to make a point of giving it a listen.

Right now,

51y5XT0s4hL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The Complete Clef / Mercury Recordings Of Oscar Peterson Trio

I have been on the fence about this one for a while....I have a lot of Oscar Peterson, and that's probably the reason I haven't gotten this. I'm sure when it goes to running low (if I haven't ordered it by then) I will get it. I do have the Ahmad Jamal set and love it, so time will tell about the Oscar Peterson set. Any thoughts on this set? (I'll check previous discussion). Enjoy listening to the set :party: !

And the Lou Donaldson set is very enjoyable and Ray Barretto is quite the addition to the music :cool:

That Lou Donaldson set is a fine one. I haven't dug it out in a while, I'll have to make a point of giving it a listen.

Right now,

I have been on the fence about this one for a while....I have a lot of Oscar Peterson, and that's probably the reason I haven't gotten this. I'm sure when it goes to running low (if I haven't ordered it by then) I will get it. I do have the Ahmad Jamal set and love it, so time will tell about the Oscar Peterson set. Any thoughts on this set? (I'll check previous discussion). Enjoy listening to the set :party: !

And the Lou Donaldson set is very enjoyable and Ray Barretto is quite the addition to the music :cool:

The Mosaic doubled my OP collection from 7 to 14. (I'm not counting "sideman" recordings.) To be honest with you, the only reason I have the Mosaic is because I found a copy that was only $6.96 delivered. (all 7 discs but no box/no booklet) Having said that, the music contained in the set is excellent and I'm very much enjoying it. If you already own a lot of him, there's probably not much of a reason to be in any hurry to go after this. OP is almost always excellent so this is more or less more of the same. There's still a seller on Ebay offering this set new/delivered for about $60.00. While I like Oscar, I'm not sure I'd even go for it at that price. It's agreat deal and great news for a lot of fans but my love for OP isn't really compelling enough for me to want to seek out more than I already have. I'm pretty certain this added to the 7 discs I already have will be the extent of my OP collection. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the set in any way. The performances are excellent and his vocals (sounding much like Nat King Cole) are a very welcome addition and adds nice variety to the set. I was already happy with what I had but this was a fantastic addition I couldn't pass up for $1.00/disc.

Edited by mikelz777

Right now,

The Mosaic doubled my OP collection from 7 to 14. (I'm not counting "sideman" recordings.) To be honest with you, the only reason I have the Mosaic is because I found a copy that was only $6.96 delivered. (all 7 discs but no box/no booklet) Having said that, the music contained in the set is excellent and I'm very much enjoying it. If you already own a lot of him, there's probably not much of a reason to be in any hurry to go after this. OP is almost always excellent so this is more or less more of the same. There's still a seller on Ebay offering this set new/delivered for about $60.00. While I like Oscar, I'm not sure I'd even go for it at that price. It's agreat deal and great news for a lot of fans but my love for OP isn't really compelling enough for me to want to seek out more than I already have. I'm pretty certain this added to the 7 discs I already have will be the extent of my OP collection. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the set in any way. The performances are excellent and his vocals (sounding much like Nat King Cole) are a very welcome addition and adds nice variety to the set. I was already happy with what I had but this was a fantastic addition I couldn't pass up for $1.00/disc.

Thanks for the info and your opinion on the set :tup I would have jumped on the set at that price too!!! :g I got the Lou Donaldson for $39.99 with box and booklet, mint. I HAD to jump on it!!! (What a deal). I don't feel bad about getting a steal like that, Mosaic has gotten PLENTY of my money :blink: