Which Mosaic Are You Enjoying Right Now?

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Newly acquired CBS Buck Clayton Jam Sessions (MD6-144) 0483/5000. CD's were still sealed, box and booklet were in great shape!!! Sooo excited. I've listened to the first disk and can tell, while this won't be revelatory, it will be music to sit back to with my feet tapping and a glass of scotch in my hand. :g:tup

Edited by Jazz Nut

I regret having missed that Clayton set.

Right now: the Roy Eldridge Verve box. Marvelous music to be heard here!

Well, I missed the Eldridge set! I'm thinking of getting an OOP set. He's one of my favorite trumpet players and the variety in that set seems really appealing. Esp. the Benny Carter and Dizzy Gillespie sides.

Listening to The Complete CBS Buck Clayton Jam Sessions disk 1. It's nice to hear Charlie Fowlkes' great tone in a small group setting, instead of anchoring the Basie sax section. :tup:) I had never heard Lem Davis (alto sax) play before and it's nice to hear what he's about too. I NEED to listen to something else than Mosaics....probably 3 weeks straight. But then again, I paid good money for 'em, might as well get some enjoyment out of 'em!

Listening to The Complete CBS Buck Clayton Jam Sessions disk 1. It's nice to hear Charlie Fowlkes' great tone in a small group setting, instead of anchoring the Basie sax section. :tup:) I had never heard Lem Davis (alto sax) play before and it's nice to hear what he's about too. I NEED to listen to something else than Mosaics....probably 3 weeks straight. But then again, I paid good money for 'em, might as well get some enjoyment out of 'em!

Next up you'll get Julian Dash, too! Great set!

Next up you'll get Julian Dash, too! Great set!

I dig him too! Nice strong tone, good early R&B'ish ideas, and probably a better player than he got credit for.

SOOOOO The Classic Capitol Jazz Sessions came in the mail last night, everything is in GREAT shape and I paid a little less than the set retailed for new. Good deal! The sound quality is superb, and the variety is staggering (in a good way :party: ). I am listening to disk one now---this is going to be a VALUED set, so unlike most Mosaic sets. BTW, I will be getting the Mosaic HRS sessions in the mail today, and hopefully I can be disciplined and listen to that when I'm finished with the Capitol set. :crazy:

Since it arrived I played the Ellington set three times in a row.

Even after knowing most of the music at least ten years it was like new. It won't be far from my CD player for a long time.

Now it's Onzy Matthews Select disc 2. I realy like the big bands from that period.

The new Ellington big band set as well! Disk 7, "All God's Chillun Got Rhythm" and "Alabamy Home." This is Ellington, so much going on! Over repeated listens, it almost gets to be overwhelming...there is so much music in a three minute song!!! It's CRAZY. I always considered myself to be partial to the mid 50s-1960ish period in Ellingtonia...this set along with the small band Mosaic set is changing my mind---or at least forcing me to moderate my stance. I am so glad Mosaic restores such great music and puts in such a classy package! :w:g:tup