Which Mosaic Are You Enjoying Right Now?

yowzah! I recently scored a copy of that Goodman set! :excited:

now playing: discs 1-3 (Sessions A-C) of the Andrew Hill big sucker... it's been a while - and the music is still all as glorious as ever!

I was totally taken aback at the true genius Benny Goodman was. Incredible musicianship. I do not have the big Andrew Hill.....on the list (if I can find a cheap price :rofl: yeah right,,,,). BTW, I just received the Sam Rivers Blue Note set (got it for $29.99 :party: ) it's in great shape, and the playing is wonderful. Looking forward to spending some time with it after the PACKERS with on Sunday :tup

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahmad Jamal Disc 7...

Can't get enough of this set... :party: :party: :party: :party: :party:

I assume no one's still on the fence about this one, right???? :crazy: :crazy: :crazy::unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

I'll be ordering it around 2015

After the Braxton, Threeadgill, MJQ, Herman, Rich etc etc etc :rcry

Yeah, same here... except I have the Braxton already.

Guess the Ellington will be one to get rather soon though, as I just want to hear all of that music!

Ahmad Jamal Disc 7...

I assume no one's still on the fence about this one, right???? :crazy: :crazy: :crazy::unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

Guess the Ellington will be one to get rather soon though, as I just want to hear all of that music!

You won't regret the Ellington set :cool: lot's to explore in that set, I am on the fence about Braxton. Is it plain enjoyable, or more academic? I don't have very much of this type of music. Opinions?

Ahmad Jamal Disc 7...

You won't regret the Ellington set :cool: lot's to explore in that set, I am on the fence about Braxton. Is it plain enjoyable, or more academic? I don't have very much of this type of music. Opinions?

Try a search, there must be some discussion about it.

I've not yet played much of it, but enjoyed the earliest stuff (and have some other Braxton from later periods, too).

Now playing:

3157619009a0878df6a56110.L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Ahmad Jamal Disc 7...

Here's some previous discussion:

In brief: very enjoyable, only minorly "academic" as you say (not me). The For Two Pianos and For Four Orchestras material is the only outwardly 'difficult' stuff on the set, and maybe the solo material and For Trio to those entirely disinclined toward the avant garde. Other than that, it's impossible to imagine not enjoying the rest: the scintillating quartets with Kenny Wheeler and George Lewis, the wonderful duets with Muhal Richard Abrahms and especially the Creative Orchesta material are all sure to please. If it's exploring you're after then I can't imagine a better set.

Thank you ALL for your input and guidance re: Braxton :tup . I will probably order that set in May when the MJQ set comes out to save on shipping. I am on a self-imposed Mosaic buying hiatus until then (we'll see how self-discipline goes...). I am listening to the Red Norvo recordings disk 12 of the Classic Capitol Jazz Sessions :w . The Buddy Rich and Woody Herman Columbia sets are coming in this week :excited:

Edited by Jazz Nut

Still deeply into Hill... have played several times the "Judgment" and "Point of Departure" sessions today, now going through the "Andrew" and "Pax" (or whatever again they called the first of the dates with Hubbard).

Gilmore is deeply fascinating, darker than Henderson ever got and hence a more fitting companion for Hill, methinks... though Henderson on "Point..." is fascinating, too... lots of Trane in his playing there, as I hear it. And KD is a perfect match with his slightly bitter lyricism - complementing Dolphy's outward antics and Henderson's more restrained lyricism.

I was sleeping...woke up, put on the Benny Goodman Small Groups 1944-1955. It's simple Goodman was a clarinet genius. I don't think there's a bad song in the entire 4 cds. Since getting the Mosaic Benny Goodman Orchestra set and the small groups set, I have totally changed my stance on mid-century clarinet "jazz." I enjoy the Artie Shaw Bluebird and Victor Sessions too! 5 years ago I would have NEVER owned any Shaw or Goodman but now, I love their music :cool:

BACK TO BED :crazy:

Been playing the Johnny Smith set all day today. Still not finished. :)

Note to tranemonk: though not nearly as good as the Joe Pass, the Smith far outranks the Farlow set IMO. (Farlow's going on my sell stack. :ph34r:)

That's a weird ranking... only know the Farlow yet, but his flow and swing are unmatched among other guitarists, in my humble opinion. What I heard of Pass' from that period (for instance in the Gerald Wilson Mosaic) has sounded great and I'm looking forward a lot to eventually getting that box, too...

Anyway, I guess to me it's all apples and oranges, in the end.