Which Mosaic Are You Enjoying Right Now?

Long time follower of the Forums ... first post.

082311.jpg

The Complete Blue Note Sam Rivers Sessions, Disk I.

WELCOME Delightfulee!!! I too followed the forum for a long time before joining. You'll find this a good place, lot's of passionate music fans and knowledgeable musicians here.

I am listening to Duke Ellington Complete Capitol Recordings Disk 3. I think it's interesting to hear the band without Johnny Hodges (who accounted for a lot of the beauty and soulfulness of the band), Russell Procope gets in a great solo in Lady Be Good, it's astonishing actually.

Duke's piano playing is very strong here. As is the trumpet section, it's stacked!

All in all, a difficult time for Duke and his men, but the music is still quality Ellingtonia.

Thank you, Jazz Nut. The knowledge of and reverence to the art on this forum is inspiring.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still working my way thru the Ellington '30s box.

Still want that (and the Lunceford and the Threadgill and the MJQ and the and the and the... well, that's life, I guess!)

Amazed again by how great the first two BN sessions of Rivers' are!

Hubbard is wonderful... always the same with him, wonderful sideman, too much showing off when a leader... Hancock/Carter/Chambers are amazing, too!

Yeah it's pretty great. I'm not as big a Mosaic nut as some of you guys, I only have/want a few things from my very favorite artists and certainly that includes the Count.

I was actually originally looking for the studio set but, dear god, a man's gotta pay the rent.

I will, however, kindly be accepting donations to this ever-so-important cause...

Yeah it's pretty great. I'm not as big a Mosaic nut as some of you guys, I only have/want a few things from my very favorite artists and certainly that includes the Count.

I was actually originally looking for the studio set but, dear god, a man's gotta pay the rent.

I will, however, kindly be accepting donations to this ever-so-important cause...

Same here :crazy:

f40707a2u80.jpg

disc 3

That Sarah Vaughan set- I've been on the fence. I love Sarah but I don't like it when they smother her in strings and sometimes these box sets are loaded with a billion alternate takes and what-not which don't make for fun listening for singers, IMO. IIRC these sessions include the Sarah+2 which is an amazing album though... is the bulk of that set more of what I like or not?

That Sarah Vaughan set- I've been on the fence. I love Sarah but I don't like it when they smother her in strings and sometimes these box sets are loaded with a billion alternate takes and what-not which don't make for fun listening for singers, IMO. IIRC these sessions include the Sarah+2 which is an amazing album though... is the bulk of that set more of what I like or not?

I have the set, and I LOVE Sarah Vaughan, but the set sits unplayed mostly. The Sarah+2 is remarkable!!! Also, the sound quality and booklet are SUPERB. There is a lot of Sarah and strings singing pretty syrupy songs....

The disk with Basie and Sassy is very good and an big improvement over the 1990s release, sound wise.

Also the disk with Quincy Jones arrangements is great as well.

With that said, I don't regret buying it.

Listening to the Thad Jones Mosaic, Disk 2, "Going off Stage". Thad is great (arrangements and horn playing), the bands are tight, and what else can you say????

I'm into disc five now... rather sharp contrast between "Soulfully" and the singles just after that... but I love all of you, ahm, it... ^_^

I can fully endorse any negative comments though - but hey, it's darn Sarah Vaughan and her voice is the voice of angels (at least when she sings, seems when she talked it wasn't...)