Jackie McLean, Prestige Recordings

Guy Berger

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I for one am happy that I still have ALL of Jackie's Prestige albums to explore...outside of Blue Notes, I just have DYNASTY (the "comeback" mentioned above) and FAT JAZZ which was I think on Jubilee and I really dig the tuba there. No Prestiges at all.

With the possible pending demise of much of the OJC catalog, I will begin my Jackie Prestige exploration SOON.

Just one other comment on all this "this label output was artist X's 'classic' stuff, while this label output was inferior" stuff. OK, maybe so on one level, but why is it that often I find that for my favorite artists the less "perfect," less heralded dates are the ones that I find myself returning to more over time? I think it may vary for different listeners, but I find that a steady diet of the sublime would make for a boring, boring existance. It's more fun sometimes to fill in the gaps and have your brain ask "what might have been?" for merely good music.

Edited by DrJ

With the possible pending demise of much of the OJC catalog, I will begin my Jackie Prestige exploration SOON.

While I don't have all the Jackie Prestige dates, from those I have, I'd say ... you're in for a big treat. I'd personally recommend starting with Long Drink of the Blues and Jackie & Co., and then explore from there. The K-2 of 4,5 & 6 sounds great, and is a fine session, but doesn't quite have the sparkle (in my book) that the former two have. Can't lose with Jackie's Pal, either. Have fun!

Had a Jackie-Prestige fest last night, and have to say ~ this one is a fine, if under-remarked, specimen:

LPre%20138_thumb.jpg

It might be the strongest sleeper of the bunch. (Though Long Drink is still my favorite.)

Bertrand (just out of curiosity) — How did you identify Webster Young in the "argument" that starts off Long Drink? It seems to me that Jackie's arguing with Paul Chambers. I could be wrong, of course, but it seems like the argument is about when the bass should come in. "Gilly" is the particularly low voice (it seems) that comes in later. At any rate, just wondering ...

Just listened to Long Drink again. It is Paul Chambers that Jackie's arguing with — you can hear Jackie say "I'm gonna hafta beg you to play ... play Paul, play, play ... "

Now, maybe Webster's the one that tries to calm Jackie down ... I can't tell. Still, it's interesting to try to visualize the six of them there with Rudy behind the controls.

Just listened to Long Drink again. It is Paul Chambers that Jackie's arguing with — you can hear Jackie say "I'm gonna hafta beg you to play ... play Paul, play, play ... "

Now, maybe Webster's the one that tries to calm Jackie down ... I can't tell. Still, it's interesting to try to visualize the six of them there with Rudy behind the controls.

I don't think I would mess around with P.C. I wonder what Jackie was complaining about. Maybe the dope was messing with his brain.

Late,

I'm pretty sure that's Webster trying to calm Jackie down (the one who says 'you're making a mountain out of a molehill'). I recognize his voice since I knew him, albeit much later in life. Webster was always very soft-spoken.

Jeffro,

I listened to Rites of Passage again - it's even better than I remembered. 'Naima's Tone Poem' is one of those performances that make you feel good to be alive. You know the kind I mean.

Bertrand.

Late,

I'm pretty sure that's Webster trying to calm Jackie down (the one who says 'you're making a mountain out of a molehill'). I recognize his voice since I knew him, albeit much later in life. Webster was always very soft-spoken.

Jeffro,

I listened to Rites of Passage again - it's even better than I remembered. 'Naima's Tone Poem' is one of those performances that make you feel good to be alive. You know the kind I mean.

Bertrand.

I also like Rites of Passage.

One album not mentioned in this thread, or I just missed it is New Wine in Old Bottles. Very nice date from 1978 (actually I think this was the album right before the disastrous Monuments). Hank Jones on piano, Ron Carter on bass, and Tony Williams on drums.

It is on Inner City Records, licensed from East West. I don't believe this ever made it to CD (in the US anyway), which is a shame. They revisit two McLean songs -- Appointment in Ghana Again and Little Melonae Again, plus Confirmation and a stretched out Round Midnight, plus two other tracks.

• 1 month later...

My first sampling of the fifties stuff, with Jackie as a leader. ... Jackie is a guy who I could see myself being a "completist" with.

I think you're going to like the Prestige stuff. I've been listening to it again recently, and am really appreciating it more than before.

Here's a question for Jackie discographers:

On February 15, 1957, Jackie recorded at least 11 tracks (totalling over 66 minutes of music) with Mal Waldron, Arthur Phipps, and Art Taylor, which were then spread across four Prestige albums. Does anyone know the original recording order from this day's work? I'm interested in putting together a "complete" February 15, 1957 disc.

Also make sure to check out Jackie on Gene Ammons' jam sessions. He's in sharp form there.

My first sampling of the fifties stuff, with Jackie as a leader. ... Jackie is a guy who I could see myself being a "completist" with.

I think you're going to like the Prestige stuff. I've been listening to it again recently, and am really appreciating it more than before.

4, 5 and 6 is a great album, IMO. Sweet rhythm section (Prestige regulars, according to the back blurb) and really beautiful playing from the leader. I like the first tune ("Sentimental Journey") quite a bit, as does my girlfriend who dubbed it her new favorite song. Really diggin' the version of "Confirmation" also.

I going to have to order a bunch of these Prestige sessions with Jackie's name on them.

Edited by pryan

• 3 months later...

I just bought the new "Best of Jackie McLean" Fantasy CD, which I got cheap (7 Euro) at Zweitausendeins.

http://www.fantasyjazz.com/catalog/mclean_j_cat2.html#5709

This is a very interesting compilation, offering 8 tracks (71 minutes) from 8 different Prestige albums. The new remastering by Joe Tarantino is also very good.

So if you don't mind compilations, this is a good way to have some McLean Prestige material.