AAJ

Soul Stream

Mnytime, very well said. I've lived in other countries and seen the reduction of freedom that can mean. Our country came about by dissatisfaction with the government we were a part of, and our country has become a great nation because of the freedom to disagree and speak out. I hope that this can continue for many more generations.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice post, Mnytime. It's the old saw of "America gave you all these rights--how dare you use them!"

And actually, it seems like the political forum's been fairly quiet lately.

Is Johnny E on vacation? ;)

Jimmy Gee, nobody wants you to leave. I'm sorry if you have a bitter taste in your mouth, but sometimes we find things we don't like. There are a lot of people on this board with differing views of the world. You may not agree with any of them, but I guarantee you can learn something from them.

Plus, the wealth of jazz information contained in these member's noggins is worth putting up with some shit! :)

And actually, it seems like the political forum's been fairly quiet lately.

Good post, Mnytime.

As for the prevailing calm, I thik it is--in good measure--due to "berigan" easing up. That, in turn, has removed some of the initiative that propelled Johnny E.

Enjoy it while it lasts--it is undoubtedly the calm before the storm!

;)

As for the prevailing calm, I thik it is--in good measure--due to "berigan" easing up. That, in turn, has removed some of the initiative that propelled Johnny E.

Ah Chris, A pyro doesn't need someone to hand them a book of matches :) In any event, Johnny was laying down napalm long before Berigan even found the BN board and requires no assistance when it comes to lighting himself on fire so that the sparks fly out of his head.

For example the current Patriot's Act and it's follow up are completely against what those that started this country ever wanted to see happen here.

Most people don't even know what is going on around them in this country. Ask anyone what they think is in the Patriot's Act and it's follow up and they won't know exactly. Tell them what is in them and they will all get very angry about it.

Tell them what is in them and they will all get very angry about it.

Interesting. Can you tell us what it's all about?

I tried to post about Organissimo over there, but it seemed to offend some.

:rsmile:

You're kidding, right? I have never seen a post at AAJ where anyone was offended by the mention of this board. Conversely, the very short thread here about whether the AAJ board was working or not seemed to draw a rather terse post. I see much more discussion here about "why I don't like AAJ"; I never read anything like that over there. :)

May 14th I posted at AAJ on a jazz vocalists thread. The post is still there entitled something like, "Has Anyone Heard Harvey Thompson Yet?". The post was mainly a short bio about Harvey and that he has a new CD out and is worth listening to. I also mentioned an upcoming Organissimo tour we're doing at the end of June which will feature Harvey Thompson and mentioned if anyone was going to be in Michigan at the time to contact us... A couple of days later I checked the thread and discovered the moderator had taken out the whole paragraph about Organissimo! I got censored!!

Somebody at AAJ is maybe jealous of our success over here?? :(

Edited by randissimo

You're kidding, right? I have never seen a post at AAJ where anyone was offended by the mention of this board. Conversely, the very short thread here about whether the AAJ board was working or not seemed to draw a rather terse post. I see much more discussion here about "why I don't like AAJ"; I never read anything like that over there. :)

May 14th I posted at AAJ on a jazz vocalists thread. The post is still there entitled something like, "Has Anyone Heard Harvey Thompson Yet?". The post was mainly a short bio about Harvey and that he has a new CD out and is worth listening to. I also mentioned an upcoming Organissimo tour we're doing at the end of June which will feature Harvey Thompson and mentioned if anyone was going to be in Michigan at the time to contact us... A couple of days later I checked the thread and discovered the moderator had taken out the whole paragraph about Organissimo! I got censored!!

Somebody at AAJ is maybe jealous of our success over here?? :(

Speaking seriously, though, how can a jazz board consider a paragraph from a jazz musician about their band as "spam"??? :blink:

Thanks Mark, I enjoyed your Dennis Milleresque take on this.. :g

As a jazz performer, I thought I could post the additional gig info about where Harvey could be heard. After all, it is supposed to be "All About Jazz"..

However, the paragraph about Organissimo got censored out which has since turned me off to the AAJ board. I wasn't tryin' to sell Organissimo over there. I was just including concert info for anybody who might be in the area at the time of our tour and would be interested in hearing Harvey Thompson. :( Maybe I should have made up a different band name for that post. But I still had to direct people to organissimo.org for the tour info..... :winky:

Oh man, that sucks.

Can't believe that Organissimo got edited out of a post at AAJ.  Is Musicboy a mod over there now??? ;)

It's maybe that the AAJ are threatened by the growing popularity of "organissimo forums".. How petty... AAJ is supposed to be all about jazz... Not about censoring jazz musicians from posting their jazz events :winky:

Someone at AAJ needs to explain to me why my post got edited so Organissimo would not be mentioned.

Edited by randissimo

I no longer post at AAJ and I only check out the "offering/looking for" section as there are more posters over there to offer things.

Seems like the crowd is younger over there than here as well. Some seem quite immature judging by their postings. Deep's posts are truly funny though. Wish he would post over here as well. Has anyone ever invited him?

Someone just started this thread at AJJ...

Censorship and bad AAJ publicity

First post goes like this...

One of the most popular threads at Organissimo forum these days deals with AAJ. I'm not happy to read that this board deletes threads/part of threads dealing with Organissiomo Forum, AAJ refusing to review O's records etc.

If this is correct, I'm surprised - and I can't understand the motives for such behaviour.

Live and let live.

I post mostly here, but occasionally also at Organissimo and Jazz Corner.

If the accusations at Organissimo are not correct, someone obviously ought to come forward with some explanation over there.

Be interesting to see if any of the moderators of AAJ have any response. FYI, I also just posted this over there....

FYI, here's the thread on the organissimo board: LINK

Look on pages 10 and 11 of the thread (at the link above) for discussion about Organissimo links/discussion being edited out of AAJ posts.

Just wanted to provide a simple link to the discussion on the Organissimo board, so that anyone wanting to comment (here or there) could easily find the discussion in question.

Personally I think both boards have value, and they seem to serve slightly different purposes and somewhat different audiences (with quite a bit of overlap as well).

Edited by Rooster_Ties

FWIW, when I first joined at AAJ, I emailed the main cat over there asking if posting info and having discussions about Quartet Out would be a violation of their anti-spam policy if I was also an active participant in the general board community. I told hi I would respect his decision either way. I just wanted to remove any ambiguity so as not to "make trouble" by assuming anything. I never got a response from him. Rightly or wrongly, I was left with the impression that AAJ wanted "business" (which is certainly ANY commercial site's goal, and SHOULD be), and didn't want to commit either way for fear of violating their own policy and/or alienating a potentially active poster. You know, having your cake and eating it too, as they say. I understood (and still do), but that board has ever since had a feel of "discussion as a business tool" that deeply runs counter to my personal code about this music and whatever place I have in it as player and/or fan. Right or wrong, that's just me.

These days, Organissimo is about the only place I either post or read. My time for doing such is significantly less now than it used to be, and since this place has always been my "sentimental favorite" as a ".org", MUSICIAN-RUN site since Day One, the choice has been easy. On rare days when the free time is greater than usual, I'll check out AAJ & JazzCorner, maybe post a bit here and there. Jazz Corner, an absolutely marvellous community, seems to require pretty active posting in order to REALLY "fit in", and I just don't have the time for actively participating in both boards (wish I did, though). AAJ offers a "one stop jazz experience", what with their articles, reviews, etc, in addition to their board, but I dunno...

What was the question again?

Organissimo, Jazzcorner, AAJ...

I read all three when I have time and I post sporadically on all three, but this is definitely where I come first.

I can't understate how great all three are, and what makes them great is the tremendous amounts of knowledge about every aspect of this art that the regulars bring to the table. :rsmile: