AAJ

Soul Stream

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh geez...sounds like I got some catching up to do...gimme today and tomorrow, ok? Really, I hope nobody's offended or otherwise put off (although if you are, I understand). It's just that it's a LOT quicker and easier to do "hit and run" posting to a community than it is to actually communicate with REAL PEOPLE individually!

But I SHALL seek, retrieve, and respond. You have my word!

I tried to go to my post at AAJ and wanted to add a reply requesting an explanation for why my original post was edited and couldn't get in! My username and password did not work...Very strange!!  :o

What did you do to get banned?? ;)

Why don't you e-mail moderator xricci and ask him what's going on and why they are acting like this?

Edited by J.A.W.

What did you do to get banned??  ;)

Why don't you e-mail moderator xricci and ask him what's going on and why they are acting like this?

Go to AAJ/Vocalists/ "Has Anyone Heard Harvey Thompson Yet"..

I gave a little bio description of Harvey and mentioned the fact that Organissimo would be doing a 5 day tour in late June; and the part about Organissimo got completely edited out of the post..xricci needs to respond to this post so the members over here at organissimo can read his response. There are many members here who would like to know what's going on...

Edited by randissimo

OK, in the spirit of us all just "getting along", I just posted this in the thread on the AAJ board...

Originally posted by Rooster_Ties

Hi xricci,

I think this started with some speculation on our board about whether AAJ would chose review Organissimo's album, given the fact that some links and/or references to the Organissimo board were supposedly deleted from the AAJ board (without explaination, it seems).  (Not that an explaination was necessarily due, but the absense of information often leads to assumptions being made - rightly or wrongly.)

Also, one of the members of Organissimo (the band) suddenly started having troubles not being able to log in with his AAJ name/password, for unknown (and possibly totally unrelated) reasons.  The timing of this, along with his posts being edited/deleted, lead him to believe that he had possibly been banned from the AAJ board.  (Or at least it made him wonder, 'outloud', if that was maybe what had happened.)

Perhaps that might help to clarify things, I hope.

If anyone reads the thread on the Organissimo board, they can see that there really isn't any 'big-time' finger-pointing going on.  Just some odd coincidences that lead to some open speculation about things.

Cheers...  --  Rooster T.

Hope that characterized things accurately.

I made a rare post over at AAJ to say that I appreciate Xricci's management of the board. I mentioned that I primarily hang around here because my friends are here. Nothing to do with how he manages his board.

Why, you traitorous bastard! You owe us a better explanation than that for posting over there!! ;)

For the record, my quip about not reviewing our CD was meant as a joke. I don't think I ever sent one (although I can't quite remember now) though I did get an email from Michael when I asked about sending one in for review back in March.

As for censorship, I'll say it again: People can run their little corner of the internet as they please. It doesn't concern me. Although I will say it seems strange that musicians can't post about their gigs at a site that calls itself "All About Jazz". Gigs are our bread and butter. We certainly aren't making any money off CDs! I don't have a day job, nor does Randy. This is how we make our living. Seems like we should be able to post about our gigs on a JAZZ bulletin board so fellow jazz listeners know what's up.

And what's wrong with some guy logging in and making one post about his new CD release, website, or whatnot? As a musician, I'm proud to offer that service to my fellow jazz musicians. It's not like we get gobs of press.

But that's just me. I've had reports of spam from members of this board, but I have yet to delete a topic. I don't find any problem with letting musicians advertise what they're up to. We need to eat, too.

If memory serves, I did delete a blatant spam message by someone in the Organissimo band. It was reported to me, it looked like spam, and I deleted it.

Wait a minute Mike... Blatant spam message?? Because I mentioned that the singer I was posting about would be featured on a tour with organissimo in late June, and anybody interested should contact us at organissimo.org?? That's spam??? My intention was not to spam AAJ.... I suggest you read the "alleged spam" posts more open mindedly before you delete'em....

Note: This quote wasn't actually in the May 29 4:13 pm post. I tried once again to go to AAJ to read xricci's posts and again was not able to post a reply without going through the whole registration process all over again. So I decided to copy and paste xricci's quote and reply to it over here..

Edited by randissimo

...it seems strange that musicians can't post about their gigs at a site that calls itself "All About Jazz". Gigs are our bread and butter. We certainly aren't making any money off CDs! I don't have a day job, nor does Randy. This is how we make our living. Seems like we should be able to post about our gigs on a JAZZ bulletin board so fellow jazz listeners know what's up.

And what's wrong with some guy logging in and making one post about his new CD release, website, or whatnot? As a musician, I'm proud to offer that service to my fellow jazz musicians. It's not like we get gobs of press.

But that's just me. I've had reports of spam from members of this board, but I have yet to delete a topic. I don't find any problem with letting musicians advertise what they're up to. We need to eat, too.

HELL YEAH!!!!

I'm not looking to drag this out, but the reason Mike gave for not responding to my e-mail doesn't quite ring true, seeing as how I had been in touch with him several times the day before regarding problems setting up the account. Plus, the heading on the email read Board Protocol and the message read:

Hi Mike, thanks for getting me set up yesterday.

A question - I am a professional musician w/a band that has CDs for sale. We are not amateurs or part-timers. We are serious, experienced, and do all original material in the post-Ornette vein. Dallas is our home, but we are trying to get out of this musical ghetto (even if it is into another one ;-) )

Does board protocol prohibit me from posting about our band's CDs and offering ordering information? I have no intent to use your board as nothing but free advertising. Trust me, I can and will bring some meat to the table when it comes to jazz discussions. My history on the Blue Note board will bear both points out. I would just appreciate the opportunity to notify people of the music's availability, and discuss it if, and ONLY if, that discussion is solicited. If the general membership complains (and I know that the ex-BN contingent won't), then I will respect that sentiment and not go down that road.

If you have doubts as to the music itself, check out samples at www.musicaconcarne.com or ask Chuck Nessa or ANY of the BN-exes. They will vouch for both the music and my personal ethics. Several BNBB people have purchased our CDs as well, and are more than pleased with them.

Thank you for your consideration.

Jim Sangrey (JSngry on your board)

I know the guy's busy, and it's entirely possible that he just overlooked the e-mail. No problem. But considering the timing of the e-mail, and the fact that I sent it from my home e-mail (which has no "business" indicators at all), somehow the victim-of-an-anti-spam-program explanation... :unsure:

Anyway, AAJ is a good site, and provides lots of exposure to a music that definitely needs it. Far be it from me to feel bad about THAT. But my personal BBS preference remains for this board, run by actual musicians, cats who have a simpatico to the realities of this music and its accompanying bizness that makes me feel good about being here, like I'm hanging at a site sponsored and run by truly kindred spirits.