Gary Burton RCA recordings

DrJ

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes David, Una Mae is another great example of someone who either could have her own box or at least have some stuff in a "grab bag RCA classic jazz" box.

My discographical knowledge of pre-40's RCA stuff is weak, but I'm pretty darn sure there's a treasure trove of material that has never received properly mastered and documented CD reissue the way Mosaic could do it. If Scott Wentzel's hunches about the Sony/BMG merger are true I would definitely say we should expect to see classic jazz on RCA being issued by Mosaic the way we've seen Columbia and EMI classic jazz holdings being put out by them recently.

Bring - them - ON!

So what other RCA or RCA-related sets would folks like to see? In addition to the Burton, Braxton, and Rogers ideas already mentioned...

Of course, a definite Sonny Rollins set, with everything from the best tape sources and in session order! The recent reissue of the bridge sound so much better than the last box set version.

So what other RCA or RCA-related sets would folks like to see?  In addition to the Burton, Braxton, and Rogers ideas already mentioned...

Of course, a definite Sonny Rollins set, with everything from the best tape sources and in session order! The recent reissue of the bridge sound so much better than the last box set version.

That would indeed be cool. I doubt that Sonny would sign off on it, though. (Geez, sorry to keep sounding like such a pessimist!)

What else could be boxed from RCA?

1. The three LPs by Rod Levitt from 1965-66

2. Everything they've got involving Lenny Breau.

3. Bill Dixon's 'Intents and Purposes' from 1967 (single disk).

4. A complete set of Harold Vick.

I second the Rod Levitt.

I'll add Tony Scott, who I've already suggested to Mosaic (which got a favorable response from them).

How about an RCA various artists box that would include artists like Hal McKusick and Jack Montrose and others?

To follow up on the various artists box concept: RCA could simply re-issue the Jazz Workshop series of LPs.

LPM-1161 The Jazz Workshop (Al Cohn) also titled: 'Four Brass, One Tenor'

LPM-1211 Manny Albam

LPM-1269 Billy Byers

LPM-1366 Hal McKusick

LPM-1372 George Russell

All were given 'The Jazz Workshop' as album title with a unique logo on the front covers.

To follow up on the various artists box concept: RCA could simply re-issue the Jazz Workshop series of LPs.

LPM-1161 The Jazz Workshop (Al Cohn) also titled: 'Four Brass, One Tenor'

LPM-1211 Manny Albam

LPM-1269 Billy Byers

LPM-1366 Hal McKusick

LPM-1372 George Russell

All were given 'The Jazz Workshop' as album title with a unique logo on the front covers.

Excellent suggestion, Mr. Nelson! In a thread I started about that series not all that long ago, Mike Fitzgerald listed the following:

I believe this is the entire output:

Al Cohn (LPM 1161)

Hal Schaefer (LPM 1199)

Manny Albam (LPM 1211)

Billy Byers (LPM 1269)

Hal McKusick (LPM 1366)

John Carisi (LPM 1371 - not issued)

George Russell (LPM 1372)

Mike

Unless there's a lot of unissued material from those sessions, they might be able to squeeze it all onto 4 CDs--5 at most.

So what other RCA or RCA-related sets would folks like to see?  In addition to the Burton, Braxton, and Rogers ideas already mentioned...

Fats Waller !! :)

I was just going to say that! I believe we have talked about this in the past, but this would be a great time. Those 2-3 cd sets were remastered years ago, and are out of print to boot. It would be a monster, a monster!

I would LOVE to see a Mosaic RCA Waller set...but given that all that stuff WAS on CD fairly recently in the U.S. (I tracked down all of them well after they were officially OOP, some new and many used so they are not hard to find) I would be very surprised if Mosaic took this on. Usually they tend to only do that if the CDs were import (from the U.S. perspective) and/or gray market type of productions. FWIW I also don't find the sound too bad on that American series, except maybe one or two of the earliest entries from that time when reissue programs in the U.S. were laying on NoNOISE and other processing heavily.

But hell, I could be wrong, and I'd be delighted if they did it. If we're going to dream in this direction, then we might as well also add on a COMPLETE JELLY ROLL MORTON on RCA box too, the prior U.S. box was NOT in very good sound and the JSP set, while it sounds a lot better, has amateurish documentation at best.

My esperience with the Sauter-Finnegan orchestra (just a few albums heard in passing over the years) is that the sum is less than the total of the parts. The writing is very "clever", and that's the problem, at least for me. You got skills on display out the wazzoo, but to what end?

OTOH, if you enjoy that type of writing in and of itself, then I suppose it's a gold mine waiting to be discovered.

Both those guys were hellacious writers on their own, but what I've heard of their joint efforts hasn't really done anything for me personally. Guess it depends on what you're looking for as to what you find.

Edited by JSngry

• 1 year later...

Rachel and I attended the Gary Burton Quartet reunion concert in Detroit this evening. Wonderful show. Steve Swallow, layin' it down, also contributed a couple of excellent solos. Metheny played great, really coming up with some interesting stuff both in his solos and while comping behind Gary. Nice work from Antonio Sanchez, who was a bit more understated perhaps than he has been with the PMG. Gary himself played beautifully, and is also a delightful MC, telling several funny stories about different tunes. He also could pass for Chuck Nessa's long lost brother, strangely enough. Their voices are uncannily similar! :crazy:

The music was drawn from that era of 70's jazz with tunes by Corea, Jarrett, and Carla Bley + Metheny, Burton and Swallow. One tune in particular that stood out for me was Burton's tune "Walter L." Pat especially did a fantastic solo on that one, with a really gritty tone. I just checked the Real Book, and it says that tune is on "Carnegie Hall". Anyone know if that album is still in print?

Edited by Joe G

I'm chimin' in a little late here, but I agree that this would make a fine box, as previous reissues have been spotty. I do have a few comments about several of the records, all of which I've owned for years.

"Who is Gary Burton?" There's some fine playing on this one, although it seems a little unrehearsed, and the LP is a little unclear as to who's playing on what.

"The Time Machine" Burton's "experimental" album, with overdubs. Nice in places, but it doesn't all work for me. Criticisms that Burton can be "mechanical" or perhaps not spontaneous enough can easily be levelled at this one.

"Something's Coming" A superb and overlooked set, perhaps due to its rariity. Jim Hall is on board.

"Tennessee Firebird" A noble attempt to fuse country and jazz, but it doesn't come off completely.

"Duster" A classic and seminal album. I saw this group live at the time, and they were smokin'.

"Lofty Fake Anagram" & "In Concert" Less compelling than "Duster", perhaps because the drum chair is occupied by Bobby Moses, not Roy Haynes (a personal preference, of course). Still pretty good, though.

"A Genuine Tong Funeral" This is really a Carla Bley album on which Burton is featured, but no doubt Burton's deal with RCA is what got it made.

"Country Roads" This is Burton's masterpiece, far and away my favorite Burton record, and his last for RCA.