What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Also, Matos is a great guitarist. I would be interested to hear him in that setting, having only ever heard him with Sara Serpa. Should be a good one.

I've never heard him and since I've known I was going, I've deliberately not scoped out any of his playing beforehand.

I do know all the other guys from live and on record - and all of them are between excellent and astounding.

Plus last time I saw Billy Mintz he was superb

Matchbox looks like a kicker. I thought Nate McBride had hung it up, but apparently not. Good to see.

Matchbox was very good. I have heard all the members on recordings, but this was my first time hearing any of them live. I am still undecided about Dijkstra's lyricon, but his alto playing was very strong. I have been paying a lot of attention to Karayorgis the past couple of years. The group recorded a CD, which will be released later in the year.

I caught a nice double bill in Cambridge last night.

Killian Hall, MIT 8 PM

Matchbox/Atomic Double Bill

Matchbox

Jorrit Dijkstra - alto sax

Pandelis Karayorgis - piano

Nate McBride - bass

Curt Newton - drums

Atomic

Fredrik Ljungkvist - reeds

Magnus Broo - trumpet

HÃ¥vard Wiik - piano

Ingebrigt HÃ¥ker Flaten - bass

Hans Hulbœkmo – drums

Wiik is having Visa issues and missed the show, but the quartet was still strong without hi. Sadly, less than twenty people were in the audience. I don't know if it was the weather/parking situation or that the event was not well publicized.

Th last time I saw Atomic, Paal Nilssen-Love was still with them. How was Hans Hulboekmo? What's his style?

Killian Hall, MIT 8 PM

Matchbox

Nate McBride - bass

Curt Newton - drums

Atomic

Magnus Broo - trumpet

HÃ¥vard Wiik - piano

Hans Hulbœkmo – drums

Wiik is having Visa issues and missed the show, but the quartet was still strong without hi. Sadly, less than twenty people were in the audience. I don't know if it was the weather/parking situation or that the event was not well publicized.

Th last time I saw Atomic, Paal Nilssen-Love was still with them. How was Hans Hulboekmo? What's his style?

He was effective. Nothing about his playing specifically grabbed my attention - which for me when it comes to drummers can be a good thing. He listened to wwhat was happening and responded accordingly. He was loud and driving when necessary, but also played with sensitivity when the music called for it. I recall him having one solo, which had a nice melodic appeal to it as opposed to a pyrotechnic display of chops. At one point I noticed he was barefooted and had some kind of small percussion instrument strapped to his toe on top of one of the drums while he used the sticks in the others. Visually it was a little odd to me, but musically it was not distracting and fit.

Dwight Andrews & Geri Allen with Atlantans Kevin Smith on bass and Henry Conerway on drums. This was an early-evening concert at the community center of Dr. Andrews' church (he's a preacher here in Atlanta). It was kind of warmup for a concert they'll be doing in New York soon. Andrews played mostly soprano, and the music was fairly "inside," but mostly excellent. I especially enjoyed the two Geri Allen tunes they played, including one I had never heard before that alternated 7/4 and 6/4. The local rhythm section was excellent; the music was a four-part conversation, not solos with background.

Tonight, to the Allen Public Library to see the premiere screening of a new documentary on Freddy King. It was well done and actually quite moving. Mostly reminiscences from people and family members who knew him. Also, some amazing footage of Freddy King performing on acoustic guitar at the Travis County Jail for a very enthusiastic group of female prisoners (Let the Good Times Roll). A concert followed, featuring members of the Freddy King Blues Band, led by his brother Benny Turner. Quite enjoyable, though with a large void.

Dmitry Baevsky Quintet with Joe Magnarelli, Alain Jean-Marie, Giorgos Antoniou and Steve Brown at Southport this evening.

Lucky you...looks like a good evening.

I've got my tickets for the Gateshead Jazz Festival.......Joshua Redman is nearly sold out but plenty of tickets left for The Cookers. I'll be in touch a bit nearer the date to arrange a meet....

Dmitry Baevsky Quintet with Joe Magnarelli, Alain Jean-Marie, Giorgos Antoniou and Steve Brown at Southport this evening.

Lucky you...looks like a good evening.

I've got my tickets for the Gateshead Jazz Festival.......Joshua Redman is nearly sold out but plenty of tickets left for The Cookers. I'll be in touch a bit nearer the date to arrange a meet....

:tup

Killian Hall, MIT 8 PM

Matchbox

Nate McBride - bass

Curt Newton - drums

Atomic

Magnus Broo - trumpet

HÃ¥vard Wiik - piano

Hans Hulbkmo drums

Sounds awesome. I'm wondering if Atomic is playing anywhere near me this weekend

In any event my first show for the year 2015 will be Saturday @ Greenwich House:

Two bands starting @ 8:00

Andre Matos Quintet:

Andre Matos: guitar

Tony Malaby: tenor & soprano saxophones (my guess he brings both)

Jacob Sacks: piano

Eivind Opsvik: bass

Billy Mintz: drums

Jacob Sacks Quartet:

Jacob Sacks: piano

Mat Maneri: viola

Eivind Opsvik: bass

Billy Mintz: drums

Sacks Quartet was first

Sublime with the wonderous Mintz on brushes alone through the first half of the succinct 45 minute set. Then a piece without drums was that perfect combination of a bit of improvised playing with precise playing of the written music. Band heats up a bit - I know it's really really good when my wife is truly digging it.

Mat is totally focused and blew my mind about twice - and within this framework, we were not going to hear the real intense uber Maneri - which is OK as he still fills up the room with his vibe and that sound.....

Second band nice if not as gorgeous as the previous. Starts slowly with an attempt at a dirge followed by a bebopish piece that Malaby played like he loved it - but it didn't quite hit the mark as a whole. A couple of stronger pieces followed with Tony almost going Warne Marsh on us. Really extraordinary hearing him adapt to someone else's straighter music. Great oblique piece followed with Sacks inside and outside the piano. Jacob was extremely impressive in both bands - nothing wasted and knows his place and space in the music. Matos best on the last piece finally seeming to relax and find his sound in the room. My wife whispered to me that he is no Mary Halvoresen - but who is? Nice player who sticks to the traditional jazz guitar sound with a twist. His music has some potential but needs some seasoning.

Nice night - great room for music is 46 Barrow Street

I be there next Thursday for Ideal Bread +

Saw thursday and friday two performances.

Thursday

Jean-Michel Pilc: piano
Or Bareket: double bass
Jerad Lippi : drums

As great Pilc is, the fact it was less Jean-Michel Pilc trio than Pilc and his musicians made this more ok than great, his sideman truly work in a sideman fashion and the whole thing lacked the telepathy of Moutin and Hoenig, still a good evening of music mind you but with the likes of Pilc I expect nothing less than very very very good. Pilc did his usual rebranding of standards mixed with his improv and compositions but the fellows weren't able to lift it up to higher grounds whether it was by design or they couldn't more with them , not knowing Bareket and Lippi I'll you be the judge.

Friday

Jeff Lederer - saxophone
Kirk Knuffke - cornet
John Geggie - bass
Matt Wilson - drums

More of my idea of group music, a lot of fun was to be had listening to the always gregarious Wilson. Local musicians Joel Miller and Christine Jensen joined them for a few pieces, which led Miller and Lenderer to finger each other instrument during a piece, I'll let you imagine it ! Nice variety of music overall, some hebraic inspired tune, a beauiful arrangement of a Carter family piece , some Monk and of course a few compositions by the leader. Was. not familiar with Lederer quite a solid player , Geggie was his usual discreet himself bringing his "Ottawa sound" :rofl: to the ensemble. Cornet player was less in evidence than the Lederer but showed to be more than a capable musician. The kind of evening you finish with a smile on your face.

Unfotunately Atomic was the same night than Pilc so had to pick between them, considering how dead this town can be to attend concerts by out of town musicians, frustrating that two fine ensembles ended up playing the same evening .

Edited by Van Basten II

I caught Atomic on Tuesday. I had never heard the group before, or any of its (current) members on their own, for that matter. It wasn't the type of group that the venue would normally book, and the promoter seemed to be unfamiliar with the group. Weekdays can be hit-or-miss as far as attendance goes, but the group attracted a decent, enthusiastic crowd. If I heard correctly, some people came from Chicago, which really says something considering the fact that the band is going to be playing in Chicago on Friday and Saturday.

The group played several songs from the new album, which they unfortunately did not have with them. As someone who was new to the group, I was impressed by their precision, sense of playfulness, conceptual variety and their spontaneity. The reedist, Fredrik Ljungkvist, came across as the de facto leader (or spokesman, at least); it was cool to see him communicate via hand gestures with pianist Havard Wiik regarding what backing figures to play behind a solo by trumpeter Magnus Broo, who contributed some outstanding solos throughout the evening. As Wiik had several solo opportunities and was such an integral part of the group's sound, it made me wonder what they sounded like earlier in the tour when visa issues prevented him from being there. Ingebrigt Haker Flaten, besides laying down some solid grooves, had some interesting solos and was part of the most 'out' moment of the night when he played a bit as a duo with Ljungkvist.

I know that Paal Nilssen-Love has established himself as a fixture of the creative music scene, but Atomic has found an exciting, young drummer in Hans Hulbœkmo. During their opening song, he surprisingly played a march-like rhythm that brought to mind Idris Muhammad. Atomic's music has to be a challenge, but Hulbœkmo was consistently sensitive and propulsive, and the sheer power and energy he brought to the stand, particularly during the closing song, was astounding (as was his apparent ability to not break a sweat). I ended up picking up an album by Moskus, a piano trio he is a part of.

All in all, it was a fun night with an adventurous band that deserves to be more widely known.

If I have any energy at the end of the work day today, I will likely go for this experience:

Thursday, February 12, 2015 - 7pm - $15 / $12 members / $5 students
IMPROVISATIONS – CELEBRATING FREE MUSIC - Interview
FEATURING: TIM BERNE – alto sax
WITH CURATORS: JOE MORRIS – guitar, bass ǀ STEPHEN HAYNES - cornet

Real Art Ways - 56 Arbor Street – Hartford

I caught Atomic on Tuesday. I had never heard the group before, or any of its (current) members on their own, for that matter. It wasn't the type of group that the venue would normally book, and the promoter seemed to be unfamiliar with the group. Weekdays can be hit-or-miss as far as attendance goes, but the group attracted a decent, enthusiastic crowd. If I heard correctly, some people came from Chicago, which really says something considering the fact that the band is going to be playing in Chicago on Friday and Saturday.

The group played several songs from the new album, which they unfortunately did not have with them. As someone who was new to the group, I was impressed by their precision, sense of playfulness, conceptual variety and their spontaneity. The reedist, Fredrik Ljungkvist, came across as the de facto leader (or spokesman, at least); it was cool to see him communicate via hand gestures with pianist Havard Wiik regarding what backing figures to play behind a solo by trumpeter Magnus Broo, who contributed some outstanding solos throughout the evening. As Wiik had several solo opportunities and was such an integral part of the group's sound, it made me wonder what they sounded like earlier in the tour when visa issues prevented him from being there. Ingebrigt Haker Flaten, besides laying down some solid grooves, had some interesting solos and was part of the most 'out' moment of the night when he played a bit as a duo with Ljungkvist.

I know that Paal Nilssen-Love has established himself as a fixture of the creative music scene, but Atomic has found an exciting, young drummer in Hans Hulbœkmo. During their opening song, he surprisingly played a march-like rhythm that brought to mind Idris Muhammad. Atomic's music has to be a challenge, but Hulbœkmo was consistently sensitive and propulsive, and the sheer power and energy he brought to the stand, particularly during the closing song, was astounding (as was his apparent ability to not break a sweat). I ended up picking up an album by Moskus, a piano trio he is a part of.

All in all, it was a fun night with an adventurous band that deserves to be more widely known.

Nice write-up, thanks. Looking forward to their new album.