What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

Trish Clowes Quintet in Sheffield

Trish Clowes (tenor, soprano), Gwilym Simcock (piano), Alex Munk (guitar), Calum Gourlay (bass), James Maddren (drums).

Been following this young saxophonist for a few years on record and saw her in Brecon Cathedral last year. Even better last night - the acoustics of the little hall in Sheffield were much more conducive than a church building.

Self-confessed Wayne Shorter obsessive with Iain Ballamy as one of her teachers, Clowes puts on an all-originals programme of accessible but asymmetrical jazz. Curious tunes that can be very groove driven in places but then enter zones without any strict time focus. She has a beautiful tone on her two saxes - most reminiscent of Shorter (and sometimes Surman) on soprano. On tenor I kept hearing late Stan Getz!

Excellent band - Maddren seems to be everywhere at present. Munks I'd never heard before (he was substituting for Chris Montague who is clearly busy with Tyoyka) - he played some marvellously restrained solos. Biggest surprise was Simcock - I've blown hot and cold with him. Often find him a bit florid (though I do recall a thrilling gig he did with Stan Sulzmann, rushing into the venue straight from playing with Lee Konitz). Last night his solos were much more pithy, very exciting, getting genuine (rather than auto-jazz-fan) rounds of applause on two occasions.

Trish Clowes is someone to watch - clearly utterly beguiled by music, wanting to explore, wide open in her listening tastes. At the start of her career but I'd mark as player worth following.

She seems to tour widely in the UK. Try and hear her when she comes your way.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Unthanks at Sheffield City Hall

image004.jpg

Here looking almost as miserable as their songs. Not sure how Phil Collins got in the picture.

I've not seen them since they started out ten years back between their first and second records. They've grown in size and scope since then with soaring near-orchestral arrangements - yet the essential character still lies at the heart. They've just become more open to a wider range of influences which sets them apart from most other folk inspired groups.

Highlights included a manic bit of clog dancing against a minimalist string arrangement (imagine Philip Glass writing an opera based on 'Auf Wiedersehn, Pet'); a lovely performance of their version of King Crimson's 'Starless and Bible Black' and the long title track from the new album used as a closer with a marvellous instrumental build up towards then end. some beautiful trumpet leading into a final bout of manic clog dancing.

How do they get to the next level? A couple of improvising musicians, I think. They are not scared of long songs and some of those instrumental passages cry out for a bit of free-wheeling.

On the other hand....

Karma here! Sheffield City Hall is odd. Every time I go I get ushered into a different room - it's like the Tardis. This time it was the 'Ballroom' deep in the bowels of the building (suspect it doubles as a nuclear fallout shelter). And there were...NO CHAIRS! There was I moaning about the lack of a dance floor for Shostakovich last week and what do I get - dance floor all night! What were they thinking? Average age of the audience was ninety. The room was also extremely resonant so every time someone fell over and died the crash echoed round the building.

All standing gigs seem to be a thing for folk groups wanting to be youthful and edgy. But I think the venue got the audience wrong this time - it was the usual bunch of teachers and social workers. We like to tap our feet but we do need to sit down.

Great concert, though.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

Last Friday, I caught two sets of Lee Konitz and Dan Tepfer at Constellation in Chicago. This was the third time I'd seen them perform as a duo (I've also seen them twice in a quartet), and it's been an honor to witness how their partnership continues to develop and deepen. My friend snapped a few pics at the very beginning of their first set. Here are two:

Konitz%20and%20Tepfer%202-20%20No%201.jp

Konitz%20and%20Tepfer%202-20%20No%203.jp

I caught the Renga Ensemble in Cleveland tonight. The group consisted of the leader, James Falzone, Ken Vandermark, Keefe Jackson, Dave Rempis (Ben Goldberg plays on their new album), Jason Stein and Ned Rothenberg. I hadn't previously heard Falzone, Rempis or Rothenberg and hadn't seen any of the members live. Knowing of their reputations and/or some of their music, I would've seen any of them individually; to see them together and in such a fine venue (the revived Bop Stop) was a treat.

I won't get into the individual members, all of whom rose to the occasion on their own and collectively. The group was challenging and complex but eminently listenable. Given the sheer number of woodwinds at their disposal, there was more than enough textural variety to maintain interest throughout the approximately 100 minutes they played (over the course of two sets). Although every member of the ensemble has established himself as a leader, it was a night devoid of ego, and they approached some difficult music with enthusiasm and respect. The composed sections ranged from uptempo to somber or serene (and even whimsical in a winking, Misha Mengelberg kind of way) , and the arrangements allowed for a lot of freedom in the solos and often paired soloists interacting with backing from the rest of the group.

I ended up picking up their new album, The Room Is, and Dave Rempis's, Aphelion (with Joshua Abrams and Avreeayl Ra). Hopefully, some other forum members get a chance to check them out.

I caught the Renga Ensemble in Cleveland tonight. The group consisted of the leader, James Falzone, Ken Vandermark, Keefe Jackson, Dave Rempis (Ben Goldberg plays on their new album), Jason Stein and Ned Rothenberg. I hadn't previously heard Falzone, Rempis or Rothenberg and hadn't seen any of the members live. Knowing of their reputations and/or some of their music, I would've seen any of them individually; to see them together and in such a fine venue (the revived Bop Stop) was a treat.

I won't get into the individual members, all of whom rose to the occasion on their own and collectively. The group was challenging and complex but eminently listenable. Given the sheer number of woodwinds at their disposal, there was more than enough textural variety to maintain interest throughout the approximately 100 minutes they played (over the course of two sets). Although every member of the ensemble has established himself as a leader, it was a night devoid of ego, and they approached some difficult music with enthusiasm and respect. The composed sections ranged from uptempo to somber or serene (and even whimsical in a winking, Misha Mengelberg kind of way) , and the arrangements allowed for a lot of freedom in the solos and often paired soloists interacting with backing from the rest of the group.

I ended up picking up their new album, The Room Is, and Dave Rempis's, Aphelion (with Joshua Abrams and Avreeayl Ra). Hopefully, some other forum members get a chance to check them out.

Thanks for the write-up. Renga is scheduled to be in Baltimore, March 6th, and I will try to see them there.

Edited by Leeway

Last night:

James Falzone’s Renga Ensemble featuring Ken Vandermark, Jason Stein, Ned Rothenberg, Keefe Jackson and Dave Rempis. Easthampton, MA

I was familiar with all the members of the ensemble, but had not heard this group. Turnout was a little low due to a snow storm, but those in attendance were treated to a very good 70 minute set of music. As Justin V commented regarding the Cleveland show, the music is not casual listening music, but the ensemble makes effective use of unison riffs by 2 - 3 members, while the others are doing something else to add just enough cohesion for the uninitiated listener. Even without the riff sections, the compositions themselves offer something for anyone willing to listen attentively. In this group noone really stands out and each member is a bonafide leader on their own. The overall sound of the group, however, is very engaging.

Edited by relyles

Tonight, Electric Circus at the Royal Room in Seattle. "Electric Circus remixes classic soul and rock for the 21st century with sampled grooves, improvised sonic exploration, light projections and a reinventions of mid 20th century psychedelia." Wayne Horvitz conducts the 13-piece group.

Edited by David Utevsky

Last night:

James Falzone’s Renga Ensemble featuring Ken Vandermark, Jason Stein, Ned Rothenberg, Keefe Jackson and Dave Rempis. Easthampton, MA

I was familiar with all the members of the ensemble, but had not heard this group. Turnout was a little low due to a snow storm, but those in attendance were treated to a very good 70 minute set of music. As Justin V commented regarding the Cleveland show, the music is not casual listening music, but the ensemble makes effective use of unison riffs by 2 - 3 members, while the others are doing something else to add just enough cohesion for the uninitiated listener. Even without the riff sections, the compositions themselves offer something for anyone willing to listen attentively. In this group noone really stands out and each member is a bonafide leader on their own. The overall sound of the group, however, is very engaging.

I was planning to see them the next night in Philly, but the gig was cancelled due to the snow storm.

My situation earlier tonight.

Gary Bartz Quartet
The Side Door Jazz Club
Old Lyme, CT

Gart Bartz - alto and soprano saxophones
Paul Bollenback - guitar
James King - bass
Greg Bandy - drums

It had been a while since I heard Bartz leading one of his own groups. The first set in particular was one of the most burning sets of music I have heard in a long time.

Last night, a solo guitar concert by Xuefei Yang at the University of Texas at Dallas. She played Suite Espana Op. 165 by Albeniz, Shuo Chang by Chen Yi, and Chaccone BMV 1004 by J.S. Bach. After a break, she returned with her arrangement of a Chinese traditional song, Fisherman at Eventide, followed by Illustrations to the Book of Songs by Stephen Goss, Invocation and Dance by Rodrigo, Debussy's La Fille aux Cheveux de Lin, and two pieces by De Falla, Homenaje, le tombeau de Debussy and Spanish Dance No. 1. There followed two encores. A wonderful performance it was.

Edited by kh1958

Saw Kaja Draksler perform three improv pieces last night for the Dutch young VIP series (tour of up and coming artists from the "Dutch" scene).

First one was a duo with Onno Govaert (who just released an album with Cactus Truck on the Polish NotTwo label) and was really interesting. This piece was full of drive and energy with a nicely build tension. For the second piece Matiss Cudars (on guitar) was invited to the stage for a trio piece, where they went for a more deep approach, and for the last piece Kaja played a duo piece with Matiss Cudars.

All in all I had a great evening!