What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

9 hours ago, BFrank said:

I've seen Nasheet before too, but don't remember him like this!

Tonight - Ravi Coltrane: Pharoah Sanders Tribute at SFJAZZ w/Tomoki Sanders (Pharoah’s son), Joe Lovano, David Virelles, Dezron Douglas, Johnathan Blake

Ravi put a great program together. Tomoki sounds eerily like his father. 

ravi2.jpg

I’ve seen a few Tamarindo sets with Malaby & Formanek where Nasheet was beyond belief. Back in 2017-18 I think at Cornelia Street Cafe. The most sustained powerhouse jazz drumming I’ve witnessed along with Gerry Hemingway when he torques it up. Randy Peterson & Tom Rainey have a different kind of power. Randy is the best of all of them, IMO. The level he is at over the last 9 months when he seen him maybe 6-7 times is just amazing. 

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 3/28/2024 at 12:28 PM, T.D. said:

Yeah.

No details at the events page https://creativemusic.org/events/,

but I clicked through to the Eventsbrite (purchase tickets) page and got the following. Pleased to see Charlie Burnham, gabby fluke-mogul and Kirk Knuffke, among others.

In Celebration of Karl Berger's Birthday
A Tribute to Karl Berger, acclaimed Musician/Composer & Co-Founder of the Creative Music Studio, on the First Anniversary of his Passing

CREATIVE IMPROVISERS ORCHESTRA March 31st - Celebrating Karl Berger's Birthday
Peter Apfelbaum - conductor, tenor sax, piano Billy Martin - conductor, percussion Ingrid Sertso - voice and poetry Chuck Ver Straeten - voice and poetry Charlie Burnham - violin gabby fluke-mogul - violin Kirk Knuffke - cornet Chris Pasin - trumpet Bob Selcoe - trumpet Bill Horberg - flutes Elsa Nillson - flutes Steve Gorn - bansuri flute, clarinet Sylvain Leroux, Fula flute, flute, qromatica Ilene Marder - flutes Donnie Davis - alto sax Jessica Jones - tenor sax Tony Jones - tenor sax Bill Ylitalo - baritone sax Brittany Anjou - vibraphone, piano Stuart Leigh - guitar Mike Gassmann - guitar Michael Bisio - bass Ken Filiano - bass Tani Tabbal - drums Joakim Lartey - percussion Hollis Headrick - percussion Savia Berger - dance

In honor of Karl Berger, Peter Apfelbaum leads the Creative Music Studio Improvisers Orchestra featuring vocalist Ingrid Sertso. Audience is invited to the open rehearsal from 3-4pm, performance to follow from 4-5pm.

Thanks. Maybe I will take a drive up tomorrow:)

6 hours ago, Steve Reynolds said:

I’ve seen a few Tamarindo sets with Malaby & Formanek where Nasheet was beyond belief. Back in 2017-18 I think at Cornelia Street Cafe. The most sustained powerhouse jazz drumming I’ve witnessed along with Gerry Hemingway when he torques it up. Randy Peterson & Tom Rainey have a different kind of power. Randy is the best of all of them, IMO. The level he is at over the last 9 months when he seen him maybe 6-7 times is just amazing. 

I definitely have to pay more attention to him. I've seen him since the early days of Jason Moran's Bandwagon.

Other outstanding drumming I witnessed at Big Ears this year came from: Eric Harland (w/Charles Lloyd), Leslie Mok (w/Myra Melford), Ches Smith (with a few groups), Pheeroan AkLaff (w/Air), and Dafnis Prieto (who I don't think I've seen before - off the CHARTS! w/Threadgill and Vijay Iyer)

15 minutes ago, BFrank said:

I definitely have to pay more attention to him. I've seen him since the early days of Jason Moran's Bandwagon.

Other outstanding drumming I witnessed at Big Ears this year came from: Eric Harland (w/Charles Lloyd), Leslie Mok (w/Myra Melford), Ches Smith (with a few groups), Pheeroan AkLaff (w/Air), and Dafnis Prieto (who I don't think I've seen before - off the CHARTS! w/Threadgill and Vijay Iyer)

My favorite by far of those drummers is Ches Smith. AkLaff is still very good. I saw him with Marty Ehrlich last year. I thought Lesley Mok was OK on the 2 occasions I’ve seen her (once with the same Myra Melford group that you saw). Prieto is great as well. 

On 3/30/2024 at 3:06 PM, Steve Reynolds said:

My favorite by far of those drummers is Ches Smith. AkLaff is still very good. I saw him with Marty Ehrlich last year. I thought Lesley Mok was OK on the 2 occasions I’ve seen her (once with the same Myra Melford group that you saw). Prieto is great as well. 

I saw Mok with that group about a year and a half ago, and she didn't stand out. Last weekend was very different.

7 hours ago, BFrank said:

I saw Mok with that group about a year and a half ago, and she didn't stand out. Last weekend was very different.

It’s great when we can watch young musicians transform. I’m looking forward to seeing her play again. Surely in the next few months. 

On 3/30/2024 at 4:09 PM, Steve Reynolds said:

Thanks. Maybe I will take a drive up tomorrow:)

It was a really nice event, both musically and tribute-wise. I got there just in time to catch the rehearsal as well.

47 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

Catching Billy Hart’s first season at the Village Vanguard this evening.

I saw Jabali's band at Jazz Standard just before COVID hit.  It was great.

Let us know how it goes tonight!

On 4/10/2024 at 8:42 PM, HutchFan said:

I saw Jabali's band at Jazz Standard just before COVID hit.  It was great.

Let us know how it goes tonight!

It was a very good set! A mix of Parker, Coltrane and Hart or Iverson originals, with George Cables in attendance. Walter Smith III on sax, who often played on Wednesday nights at the Blockhouse here in Bloomington when he was on IU’s faculty… such a great guy as well as saxophonist. Chatted with Ethan Iverson a bit before and after the set. I always love going to the Vanguard.

The following night I went to a very different kind of concert—Liam Gallagher/John Squire at the newly-reopened Brooklyn Paramount. I’m a huge Stone Roses/Squire fan and there are precious few opportunities to see him live, esp stateside. It was also a great show!

Edited by ghost of miles

Saw James Brandon Lewis last night at the Vortex, with his touring Quartet of Aruán Ortiz, Brad Jones and Chad Taylor. 

Not a group that I like that much on record but I found them very absorbing live, particularly Jones and Taylor. As is often the case, music that can seem a little wandering on record makes sense when you can see the players in action.

24 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

Saw James Brandon Lewis last night at the Vortex, with his touring Quartet of Aruán Ortiz, Brad Jones and Chad Taylor. 

Not a group that I like that much on record but I found them very absorbing live, particularly Jones and Taylor. As is often the case, music that can seem a little wandering on record makes sense when you can see the players in action.

Saw him last month with the Messthetics. A totally different experience.jbl2.thumb.jpg.267d9868fedc3b215625e72c44f569aa.jpg

1 hour ago, BFrank said:

Saw him last month with the Messthetics. A totally different experience.jbl2.thumb.jpg.267d9868fedc3b215625e72c44f569aa.jpg

A few people were there because of the crossover, along with the standard crowd for a Hackney jazz gig. 

I need to check that record out. Fugazi were one of the only rock bands that really got to me live, so the Messthetics is up my street.

Recently over the past week or so:

Mat Maneri Ash quartet with Lucian Ban, Brandon Lopez & Randy Peterson. Saw them twice over a 10 day span and now 6 times over the last 9-10 months. Best jazz group live I know of. Mat taking it to places unvisited by mere mortals. 

also a nice quartet with a local great young pedal steel guitarist which included Lopez & the fine young drummer Joey Sullivan at the same gig as the Maneri group

Tony Malaby quartet with Angelica Sanchez, Mark Helias & Tom Rainey

Michael Attias’ Renku with John Hebert & Satoshi Takeshi

Ingrid Laubrock, Brandon Lopez & Tom Rainey

tonight:

Patricia Brennan, Noel Brennan with Ingrid Laubrock & Keisuke Matsuno

All 3 of these saxophonists playing at a very high level but Ingrid on soprano especially on Sunday night took it to another level. That trio is incredible with the *great* Brandon Lopez as the linchpin. Rainey is, of course, one of the greatest drummers on the planet. Seeing him very often doesn’t dull his brilliance in any way. Almost new and fresh. Plus seeing him back to back nights from 5-8 feet always doesn’t hurt:)

Edited by Steve Reynolds

11 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Chad Taylor's always good

I can't seem to get Brandon Lewis, all a bit blustery