What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mat Maneri Quartets - NYC 10/12/11

not sure if anyone is reading - responses are welcome to tell me you liked it, still can't stand my way of espousing or articulating or lack thereof - or tell me you wish you were there - or whatever - it woyuld be nice to know that more than a couple of people here still love music - especially the improvised sort....

first set :

Mat Maneri (viola) Matt Moran (vibes) Garth Stevenson (bass) Randy Peterson (drums)

Travis and I are in traffic all the way fropm his house to mine, form my job to mine and then leaving late for us - about 6:15 choosing the wrong tunnel (Lincoln) finally get near the little room by 7:45 or so - this from leaving my job @ 4:50....and then no fucking spot to park and finally @ 8:05 or so - we get a spot west of Avenue A so we walk - Travis stops for slice so we can use the boys room and then I rush in within 20 seconds of the first note.

Travis promply gets thrown out with his pizza slice (LOL) and returns a minute later - was it good eating that fast, pal?

first 20 minute improvisation is nothing short of spectacular after a slow start - end with Peterson's big cymbal spinning off it's axis the end the piece when I thought the cymbal noise and high pitched viola was gonna take this to other unknown areas of sound (and they had aleady done that).

During the piece Mat seemed eager to hear Randy alone and we all did - and I was gonna scream but I held back - more to follows.

Second peice - Mat says a balld - and they did - as slow as slow as the great non-tempo slow peices on Coming Down the Mountain - a high instensity ending and on the the third piece after the Vibe mallet breaks.

Mat tells Randy to play that groove thing - and not what you would expect but I heard more shit from these musicians (we will talk abouty who in a bit) that I have never heard before - great bass groove - Mat all over the viola and the bass bridge explodes and the first set is over a bit less than 50 minutes after they started - after Randy takes another solo and the trio tries to conjure upa bit of something without the busted bass - but it is a letdown that we didn't hear what might have been another (or the best?!?) 10 minutes of the set.

second set:

Mat Maneri (viola) Lucian Ban (piano)

John Herbert (bass) Gerald Gleaver (drums) - oops

distrurbance of some kind outside before the second set and Gerald Cleaver (who was at the soundcheck) was excused and to my excitement I know I will hear Peterson once more - this time the band has music stands so it will be a few of Mat Maneri's tunes - mostly mid to non-tempo with one great one (second of the set) - nice to hear the fine pianist for the first time - and as usual the bassist in a Maneri band is fine, but to my ears - neither one of the 2 got near the middle of the music - but that gets me to the point of the matter, the bottom fucking line......

Last time I saw either of them was on November 13th, 2002 @ Tonic with Joe Maneri, Craig Taborn, Roy Campbell and Michael Formanek.

the last time I saw Joe Maneri play and it was quite the set......I just read Sergio's comments on the quartet show in DC....wow.

TODAY - Mat Maneri and Randy Peterson are 8+ years better than they were then - Mat his usual (but unusual combination of abstraction, missed ideas and pure fucking brilliance that cannot be touched byt most any other musician alive - some moments/passages last night that are beyond impossible.

and then for the *great* Randy Peterson - was he this great? was he ahead of his day - I hear grooves today - more power, precision and a prescence.

best performance on the drums for me in years by anyone

FUCKING ATOM BOMBS - most snare, bass drum and his big cymbals - the bass drum accents are off the hook - and when Mat called for "Me and Randy" once or twice, I yearned for the whole set - magical interplay and listening by both....

52 or 53 minutes in - it's over the 20 or 30 are sitting (more than the 15 or 18 for the first set) - Mat is out for a smoke and we are off....and he now looks like Joe - and as he said before the second set - my father said that music is about love, and it was love again for me....

sustain, baby

Thanks for the account of your concert going. I can sympathize with your travails in getting to The Stone. Been in many a NYC jam-up. I try to be in the City by 4P on concert days whenever possible. Find a spout, grab a pizza (lol), and beer. Get in concert mode. Disturbances outside The Stone are routine on Ave A. smirk.jpg

SATURDAY:

Going to the first (and maybe second)set tonight @ Jazz Standard NYC

7:30, 9:30 & 11:30:

JOHN HOLLENBECK LARGE ENSEMBLE featuring KENNY WHEELER

John Hollenbeck – drums

Kenny Wheeler, Shane Endsley, Jon Owens, Tony Kadleck, Nate Wooley – trumpet

Alan Ferber, Jacob Garchik, Mike Christianson, Rob Hudson – trombone

Chris Cheek – tenor saxophone/reeds

Dan Willis – tenor saxophone/winds

Jeremy Viner – alto saxophone

Ben Kono – alto saxophone/winds

Bohdan Hilash – baritone saxophone/reeds

Matt Mitchell – piano

Kermit Driscoll – basses

Brad Shepik – guitar

Theo Bleckmann – voice

J.C. Sanford – conductor

Special Featured Guests: Kenny Wheeler, Nate Wooley, Shane Endsley, Chris Cheek, Brad Shepik

Saw Louis Hayes with his "Cannonball Legacy Band" last week at Ronnie Scott's Club. Louis seemed a bit 'out-of-it' but played fine and managed to remember the names of his band members...just. Vincent Herring (alto sax) did most of the talking between numbers, he was excellent, as was Jeremy Pelt on trumpet.

Here's a review by The Guardian's John Fordham who was present on the same night:

Cannonball Tribute Band at Ronnie Scott's

Edited by Head Man

Alan Barnes with the Gerry Tomlinson Trio at Pados House, Prestwich, Manchester this afternoon.

Nice venue in a small theatre, Pados standing for Prestwich Amateur Dramatic and Operatic Society. Barnesey was his usual ebullient self, leading the group through two compositions from his recent recording with John Taylor with remarks like, "This one's got four bars more than Nigel's expecting". (Nigel Cretney is the trio's drummer.) This done, he invited pianist Gerry to choose anything for the next number. When Gerry named "My Foolish Heart", Alan dubbed it "the Reverend Spooner's favourite tune" and asked the audience to choose alto or baritone. Alto it was and a superb rendition followed. All very enjoyable and great music, too!

Tuesday night: I was going to see Kenny Barron at the Vanguard, but the first set was sold out, so Plan B was to see Leni Stern at the 55 Bar. I've never listened to her before, but I was very pleasantly surprised. Her band was fabulous, with an incredible bass guitarist from Senegal, and five African percussionists (well, one of them was from New Jersey). I enjoyed her guitar playing very much, the blending of jazz and African music, and her occasional vocals were fine as well. Both sets were stellar.

Wednesday night: I traveled to the 92Y Tribeca for a double bill (broadcast on a New Jersey public radio station). Aaron Parks was up first, in a quartet featuring a synthesizer player, bass and drums. This was their first public performance as a grouup, and the band seemed to get stronger as the set progressed. I did have some reservations about the blend of the sound of piano and synthesizer (it was kind of brittle and hard on my ears), but by the last two songs, I was liking the band pretty well, more like what I was expecting based on Aaron Park's Invisible Cinema CD.

Next up was the the Derrick Hodge group, a quartet featuring Jamire Williams on drums, Dante Winslow on trumpet, and Chris (?) (introduced as a Thelonious Monk award winner) on keyboards. I didn't have any reservations about this group, they were terrific the entire set. The trumpeter was fiery and impressive, the drummer (recently with Lonnie Smith and as a leader of his own groupn Erimaje) very strong, and the leader an outstanding bass guitarist. I really enjoyed this set.

Saw last tuesday Gillian Welch, the second part was better than the first, she seemed more at ease and it did not feel like listening to flat cd version of her songs venue was horrible, what's the point of making a gig like this in a place where it is standing room on the first floor, seating being available only on the balcony. The best part was the crowd who gave her the rock star treatment.

This thursday saw Maceo Parker, had good memories of him when I saw him about ten years ago, will have to stick with my memories, rather ordinary going through the motion gig with not much genuine energy.

Edited by Van Basten II

Friday night:

Javon Jackson tenor saxophone

Mulgrew Miller piano

Nat Reeves bass

Jimmy Cobb drums

tonight for me!!!

Saturday night,

first

JIMMY HEATH'S 85th BIRTHDAY CELEBRATION: THE JIMMY HEATH BIG BAND

then

Kenny Barron Quartet.

that sounds like quite an evening! enjoy! if you get a chance, please wish Jimmy a happy 85th from "Valerie, Dominique and Prophet"!!

Last Thursday night, Rob Garcia 4 (Noah Preminger, John Hebert and Dan Tepfer) at the Cornela Street Cafe.

Friday night, first the Kevin Hays Trio at the Kitano for two sets, then the Steve Kuhn Trio (Buster Williams and Billy Drummond) at the Jazz Standard for their final set of the night.

Saturday, the terrible weather disrupted my plans, so I opted for the relatively close by Jazz Standard again for another set of Steve Kuhn. Finally, later I went to the Zinc Bar to hear a Brazilian vocalist named Mirianni. She was just okay, but her band was terrific. And the highlight proved to be a guest artist for the second set, a young woman who was fantastic on violin--Frederika Krier.