NE Blizzard of 2005 (Part I?)

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"New Haven tundra?"

I'm a bit north of you looking at my thermometer as it reads -10 degrees. Unfortunately, most of the snow is supposed to miss us and hit you guys.

I’m jealous! I like nothing better that to be hunkered down in front of a blazing fire, jazz on the stereo, a drink in my hand, watching the snow fall.

We have had a relatively dry winter so far. And this was the winter I was going to take up cross-country skiing. Maybe next year.

Enjoy the storm!

We got socked pretty good. Jim and I had a horrible drive home from the gig. Took us about 1 1/2 hours to get to Sagautuck, and about 3 to get back. Partly due to a navigational error, but mostly due to incredibly bad and dangerous driving conditions. I was seriously considering what our survival options were if we ended up in the median! :unsure:

On the upside, maybe I'll get to do some skiing finally!

Wow, sounds like you guys are getting some serious weather over there. No snow here but some very strong winds over the past week of the 80mph+ variety, coming in West from the Atlantic. I lost an old elm tree on my property border last week in a storm and the tree surgeons have been in today with the chainsaws to sort it out. For sure we are now seeing the effects of 'global warming' very clearly.

I'm not sure it's that big of a deal...

The 2003-04 season started in early Dec., now it's three weeks into Jan '05 and we're getting out first snow!

I'll never forget '95-'96, one storm after another marching across the states...what was it? Nine storms?

We're getting used to the crappy weather here. This morning it's sunny, but the temperature with windchill is around minus 40. Last night there was local blowing snow, and the polishing effect that occurred because of the strong north wind produced black ice on the roads. Fun times.

I want to clean my driveway, but if I do, I'll have to do it all again by the evening.  And if I can't clean my driveway, I'm not going anywhere today.

Thank God it isn't a work day.   :excited:

I know that this may seem obvious, but I still remember being the official snow-shoveller in my household in the winter of 95/96 when we lived in central British Columbia. It hovered around -25-30C and the snow just kept coming. Instead of waiting for each fall to stop, before shovelling, I went out sometimes four or five times a day. Each time, I shovelled down to the cement, on two large driveways and the piles of shovelled snow alongside the shovelled areas were taller than I am.

The upside was that my upper body would have been envied by most body-builders. I didn't have to do my usual two mile run for over a month that year.

So, if you can, don't wait until the snow stops. This is the weekend, so shovel a few times a day. I did that because the stuff would have been too heavy to do all at once, but you can do a better job if the snow on the ground is not three feet high.

Edited by patricia

My neighbor's kid knocked on my door and offered to clear my driveway with his new snowblower for $15. I broke down and accepted his offer.

B-)

$15?! That's steep. When we lived in our rental home two years ago, we used to get this kid from across the street who would offer to shovel our driveway for $10. Our driveway at that home was basically two car lengths long. $10 for that!?? Try $5 kid. Gimme a break.

An 10 year old kid charging $10 to shovel... damn inflation! :)

They upped the forecast for my area to 18-24 inches. I'm just glad it's supposed to stop around noon tomorrow. I have quite a few people coming over to watch the Pats (in HD - yeah!) and I gotta get the driveway cleared.

I'm lucky I got this Honda snowblower. This thing just eats it up. Highly recommended if you're in the market for one. The variable speed is a must. I used to snap shear bolts all time before I had this machine and variable is key, especially when you get to the pile at the end where the plows leave you a nice "present" every storm. :D

Later,

Kevin