Least Favorite Albums

Jazz Kat

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, don't be fooled. "Whistle Stop" would be considered by most a very rewarding Blue Note date. Hank and Kenny, Philly Joe Jones, Paul Chambers, Kenny Drew...."Philly' Twist"...."Buffalo"...yeah...good stuff in my book.

I love Philly's solos on that date. I always thought the tunes were pretty cleaver.

Not really a fan of Byrd's New Perspective either. I'm also not crazy about Hill's Lift Every Voice, though I like it better than Perspective. (I guess it's 1969 and 1970, so just outside the frame as well.) There is something about wordless vocal parts (at least that's how I remember them) that I don't care for. For instance, I can't stand Thomas Bruckner, who often performs and records with Roscoe Mitchell. His presence completely ruined a recent performance for me. Similarly, I have learned to pass on Meredith Monk recordings.

Anyway, I do like Whistle Stop and Unit Structures of the ones mentioned above.

One other dog record just outside the parameters is Lou Donaldson Live at the Scorpion Club recorded live in 1970. Really almost nothing happening on this one.

Edit: Oh - it's Scorpion Live at the Cadillac Club.

Edited by ejp626

I'm listening to Of Love And Peace right now. This usually isn't my thing, but I kind of dig this one. :huh:

"Cristo Redentor" was on the first jazz compilation I ever bought, and remains a favorite. I'm not against the use of voices, and I like them here.

One other dog record just outside the parameters is Lou Donaldson Live at the Scorpion Club recorded live in 1970. Really almost nothing happening on this one.

OH MY GOD, OH MY GOD, OH MY GOD. BLASPHEMY...LOU DONALDSON 'LIVE AT THE CADILLAC CLUB'...ALMOST NOTHING HAPPENING?....OH MY GOD, OH MY GOD, OH MY GOD. :angry::angry::angry:

One other dog record just outside the parameters is Lou Donaldson Live at the Scorpion Club recorded live in 1970.  Really almost nothing happening on this one.

OH MY GOD, OH MY GOD, OH MY GOD. BLASPHEMY...LOU DONALDSON 'LIVE AT THE CADILLAC CLUB'...ALMOST NOTHING HAPPENING?....OH MY GOD, OH MY GOD, OH MY GOD. :angry::angry::angry:

:tup Blasphemy indeed ! That one cooks like hell, the sammiches were definitely loaded..

One other dog record just outside the parameters is Lou Donaldson Live at the Scorpion Club recorded live in 1970.  Really almost nothing happening on this one.

Mike, I agree with you wholeheatedly. About this record and that this thread is a drag.

Nothing happening on The Scorpian. Wow.

I'm still speechless on the previous assessment of "A New Sound, A New Star".

B3er, I suggest you delete this thread before it gets outta hand. This so called youngster (I'm still not conviced he's 15!) has infiltrated our board and is threatening to bring it to it's knees with this sinister thread. :o

I think we all understand that people have different preferences and we're all entitled to our own opinions but seeing some of this come out is going to cause some permanent damage. How can you ever forget (much less forgive) what they said about Jimmy and Dex and Lou! :o

The only solution is to delete this spawn of Satan before it destroys us ALL!!!! :o

Personally, I love Go, Unit Structures, and Whistle Stop. At least like most of the other 'wursts' mention above, including the six or so 3 Sounds I have (why would I own six albums by a band I only like? because it's Blue Note and because I love Blue Hour). If I had to choose my bottom few in the stated parameters, I guess I'd consider Night of the Cookers, or ___________? The only one mentioned I've actually gotten rid of would be Hot Dog, but even that holds pleasures for me. It's largely a matter of context for me: I have tracks from Hot Dog on samplers (the title tune is on Cordon Blue, a collection of songs about food, where it sounds great), by itself the rendition of "It's Your Thing" sounds fine but next to the Isley's original or Grant Green's version it pales, perhaps the wurst way to hear this album is in it's original context, i.e. after hearing Alligator Boogaloo, etc. right before it. Still, the worst I can honsetly (non-hyperbole) say about it is that I prefer other similar Lou Donaldson albums: Alligator Boogaloo, Midnight Creeper and Say It Loud. All of the above are miles above any of the later Mizel bros. stuff in my book.

As for Slow Drag, all I can say is "Yo' Mama!"

Mike, I agree with you wholeheatedly. About this record and that this thread is a drag.

Nothing happening on The Scorpian. Wow.

I'm still speechless on the previous assessment of "A New Sound, A New Star".

Yes, Jim. I'm still huddling in the corner, clutching "The Scorpion" and my "Jimmy Smith New Star" and bawling like a baby. Words hurt! To heck with sticks and stones.

And then Allen called my friend Lou an "uninspired soloist!" WAAAAAAAaaaa!

B3er, I suggest you delete this thread before it gets outta hand. This so called youngster (I'm still not conviced he's 15!) has infiltrated our board and is threatening to bring it to it's knees with this sinister thread. :o

First of all I can assure you that I am 15. And second of all, you guys are responsible for what you posted, and how it sounded sinister. That's not my fault. I wanted this to be a fun thing. I guess I should of changed the title to, Least Favorite Blue Note Albums. You guys are taking the worst part way too seriously.