Red Norvo

Clunky

• 10 years later...

Bumping this as I recently purchased "Music To Listen To Red Norvo By" on a whim and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. Much of the discussion on this thread until now seems to have been about his earlier recordings.  

I'm interested in any recommendations or thoughts about  recordings about the time of "Music To Listen..." . I'm wondering about "Ad Lib" with Buddy Colette and The RCA Victors "In Hi Fi", "Plays The Blues" or any other sideman dates of a similar feel to "Music To Listen..." 

I'll definitely check out the Farlow/Mingus

thanks in anticipation

I'd consider myself quite a Red Norvo fan (and have a huge part of his 40s and 50s recordings) so I may be a bit biased about recommendations but two recordings that I particularly like from this period are these:

- Vibe-Rations (Liberty LJH 6012)

and

- The Forward Look (Reference Recordings RR-8, a privately taped session from New Year's Eve, 1957, that was first issued on LP in the early 80s)

3 hours ago, Big Beat Steve said:

I'd consider myself quite a Red Norvo fan (and have a huge part of his 40s and 50s recordings) so I may be a bit biased about recommendations but two recordings that I particularly like from this period are these:

- Vibe-Rations (Liberty LJH 6012)

and

- The Forward Look (Reference Recordings RR-8, a privately taped session from New Year's Eve, 1957, that was first issued on LP in the early 80s)

Thanks

21 hours ago, Big Beat Steve said:

That one is really worth seeking out - one of the most natural sounding live recordings I own. Excellent musicianship, too. A well -rehearsed, tight band.

418y9S7DCUL.jpg

4 hours ago, mikeweil said:

That one is really worth seeking out - one of the most natural sounding live recordings I own. Excellent musicianship, too. A well -rehearsed, tight band.

418y9S7DCUL.jpg

I listened to some online and I can hear what you say

thanks to all for all the suggestions so far. I'm intrigued by the Sinatra date (might get that one played whilst the family are about). I'm going to be Norvo busy I can see