Art Pepper Select

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, they're not the original album notes, which as Cuscuna says in the booklet were "brief and superficial," but notes that Cuscuna asked Welding to write for 1989 reissues of this material.  I have no beef with Welding, except for what he said about Sheldon here, nor with Cuscuna -- I just wanted to make sure that anyone who was inclined to take Mosaic notes (even Mosaic select notes)  as gospel was aware that what's said about Sheldon here strikes some minds as odd and mistaken.

Haven't heard the cuts in question, or read Pete Welding's notes, but they're just one person's opinion, nothing more. All of us here have opinions and differences of opinion(s), so why all the fuss?

As to the fact that his opinion appeared in the form of a liner note, anyone who takes liner notes as gospel deserves what they get.

I'm grateful that Pete Welding recorded a lot of good blues music and was instrumental in the reissuing of a lot of good blues music. He's not here to defend or argue his opinions, so why not let this go and listen to the music?

• 3 weeks later...

email today received from Fresh Sounds indcating a release of the

Pepper/Perkins sessions of 1st April 1957 ( from this set !!) including so they claim two unreleased tracks " Blues Rock" and " Rock blues"--- what is going on, how can they legitimately release this and where have these unrelased tracks come from ????

from their web site....

This CD presents the complete master takes from the legendary 1957 "Omega Sessions". The first eleven tracks were originally marketed on two 7 1/2 ips reel-to-reel stereophonic tapes by the Omegatape label, between 1957 and 1958. "Summertime" was not issued until the early 1980's on Lp on the Nadja label in Japan. The two previously unreleased tracks appear here for the first time. However, both tracks are missing from the so-called "The Complete Art Pepper Aladdin Recordings" marketed by the Mosaic and Blue Note record labels.

from their web site....

This CD presents the complete master takes from the legendary 1957 "Omega Sessions". The first eleven tracks were originally marketed on two 7 1/2 ips reel-to-reel stereophonic tapes by the Omegatape label, between 1957 and 1958. "Summertime" was not issued until the early 1980's on Lp on the Nadja label in Japan. The two previously unreleased tracks appear here for the first time. However, both tracks are missing from the so-called "The Complete Art Pepper Aladdin Recordings" marketed by the Mosaic and Blue Note record labels.

MC indicated that these two R&R tracks (have been around for years) were poor quality experiments and are not in keeping the rest of the session.

Listening again to the Omega Tapes material, I was struck again by what a wonderful match Pepper and Carl Perkins were -- rarely have I ever heard comping that seemed be more naturally "inside" a horn player's thinking. (Damn -- what a loss Perkins was.) Also, there's a rather unusual number of four-bar exchanges between Pepper and Perkins, most at a very high level. In fact, Pepper maven Terry Martin once wrote that Art might have been one of jazz's two or three greatest four- and eight-bar exchange players; his ability to keep the flow of ideas going across the gap was thrilling. Likewise with his ability to feed off of Latin rhythms.

Listening again to the Omega Tapes material, I was struck again by what a wonderful match Pepper and Carl Perkins were -- rarely have I ever heard comping that seemed be more naturally "inside" a horn player's thinking. (Damn -- what a loss Perkins was.) Also, there's a rather unusual number of four-bar exchanges between Pepper and Perkins, most at a very high level. In fact, Pepper maven Terry Martin once wrote that Art might have been one of jazz's two or three greatest four- and eight-bar exchange players; his ability to keep the flow of ideas going across the gap was thrilling. Likewise with his ability to feed off of Latin rhythms.

Sounds like Larry should've written the Select liner notes. :tup

• 1 month later...

I do not have the Select, but I fairly recently received the Omega material(Japanese LP's).

Indeed, the Pepper/Perkins combo is a thing of beauty. The descriptions do not do it justice, you need to hear it for yourself. Pepper is soloing and Perkins is off doing his own thing, but it fits so perfectly. He's so 'right there' with Pepper it's scary. I've never heard a pianist comp or trade with Pepper like this. After Pepper finishes, Perkins takes off with as much energy as Pepper.

Anyway, get the Select.

You all probally know that Carl Perkins played with his right arm parallel to the keyboard.

actually, it was his left. perkins' unorthodox positioning at the keyboard was his way of compensating for a hand that was slightly crippled by polio. this technique earned him the nickname of "the crab."

a-982924680.jpg

Edited by jazzshrink

Click here for Noal Cohen's Carl Perkins discography - never heard him play badly.

Sheldon seems to be standing in Chet Baker's shadow, but methinks for rather superficial reasons. I have always like Sheldon much better than Baker - especially his sense of musical humor.

Baker does some sweet blowin' alongside Pepper on the Pacific Jazz sessions. And, Sheldon pretty much saves, or adds a great deal to, a couple Contemporary sessions of Pepper's. Sheldon changes things up and does not make Art carry the whole show.

"Meets The Rhythm Section" seems to pale in comparison after listening to these other Pepper sessions.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the Fresh Sound release of the 'Art Pepper - Omega Session'. I passed on the Mosaic Select since I already had the BN Japan 1988 reissues of the material.

The Fresh Sound CD includes the two unreleased bonus tracks (nice and fun Pepper gets into a Louis Jordan mood) but note the alternate tracks from the session.

They also have a 24-page booklet which details Pepper's activities at the time of the Omega date with a number of excellent photos (including one of Pepper with The Rhythm Section at the Contemporary session). It also indicates the Omega album was recorded in two days (April 1 and 2, 1957) and not in one as previously thought (and still indicated in the Mosaic Select reissue).

Just checked the Mosaic website - the Art Pepper select is NOT being marketed as The Complete this or that in any way, so MC does not have to justify why he left out certain tracks.

Interesting to see Pujol try to take a swipe at MC on one of his reissues.

Bertrand.

Jordi Pujol takes a couple of swipes at MC. He refers to the Mosaic Select as 'the so-called ''The Complete Art Pepper Aladdin Recordings'' marketed on CD by the Mosaic and Blue Note record labels'.

Pujol probably had in mind the 3-CD issues of these sessions that came out in Japan in 1988.

But Pujol did some homework for his very interesting liner notes for the Omega Sessions release and also corrects the recording dates for 'The Return of Art Pepper' Jazz West album.

The recording was made over three sessions at Capitol Studios on August 4, 11 and 17 and not on the 6th as stated in the 3-CD collection entitled ''The Complete Art Pepper Aladdin Recordings'' released by the Blue Note label.

The 1997 TOJC Pacific Jazz 'The Return of Art Pepper' still lists August 6 as recording date for the album.

I'll go with Pujol on that one!

Jordi Pujol takes a couple of swipes at MC. He refers to the Mosaic Select as 'the so-called ''The Complete Art Pepper Aladdin Recordings'' marketed  on CD by the Mosaic and Blue Note record labels'.

Pujol probably had in mind the 3-CD issues of these sessions that came out in Japan in 1988.

But Pujol did some homework for his very interesting liner notes for the Omega Sessions release and also corrects the recording dates for 'The Return of Art Pepper' Jazz West album.

The recording was made over three sessions at Capitol Studios on August 4, 11 and 17 and not on the 6th as stated in the 3-CD collection entitled ''The Complete Art Pepper Aladdin Recordings'' released by the Blue Note label.

The 1997 TOJC Pacific Jazz 'The Return of Art Pepper' still lists August 6 as recording date for the album.

I'll go with Pujol on that one!

So that Pujol guy is not all make-believe, just a lazy bastid and probably unable to keep up with the immense release schedule?

How about sound: I have the three single US releases. Do I need to replace them? I tend not to, but... uhm, I'll read through the first page of this thread first, myself, maybe sound was discussed there, already?

[How about sound: I have the three single US releases. Do I need to replace them? I tend not to, but... uhm, I'll read through the first page of this thread first, myself, maybe sound was discussed there, already?

I did a quick A/B to compare the Fresh Sound reissue with the Japanese BN volumes I had and the Fresh Sound is a bit better with wider dynamics. But the FS is marred by various tape distorsions that also affected the other reissues I heard (I have not heard the Mosaic Select).

The Fresh Sound Omega is really for Art Pepper completists (I am one). It also has the full session (master takes, no alternates) on one CD, the excellent liner notes from Senor Pujol and a wonderful cover which is a reproduction of one of the Omega tapes box cover!

[How about sound: I have the three single US releases. Do I need to replace them? I tend not to, but... uhm, I'll read through the first page of this thread first, myself, maybe sound was discussed there, already?

I did a quick A/B to compare the Fresh Sound reissue with the Japanese BN volumes I had and the Fresh Sound is a bit better with wider dynamics. But the FS is marred by various tape distorsions that also affected the other reissues I heard (I have not heard the Mosaic Select).

The Fresh Sound Omega is really for Art Pepper completists (I am one). It also has the full session (master takes, no alternates) on one CD, the excellent liner notes from Senor Pujol and a wonderful cover which is a reproduction of one of the Omega tapes box cover!

Thanks, brownie!

Next question: the US remasters from the late eighties: are they the same used for the contemporary Japan remasters, or not?

Seems like - regardless of this last question - I'll rather pick up the Freshsound and keep the old US CDs than replacing those with the Select.