The recent rise of out-in-the-open CDR trading...

Jim Alfredson

Folks, I thought when we first opened up the "Offering/Looking For" forum, we agreed to not deal in CDRs and such. Lately, there has been a lot of instances of people actively seeking and/or providing CDRs of material for other members. While I really am not interested in getting into a debate of the pros and cons of such behavior, I do know that it can only lead to trouble for this board.

With that in mind, can we please refrain from offering or soliciting CD-Rs from fellow board members out in the open? If you want to offer someone a copy of something to be nice, please do so via private email or personal messages. If you receive a copy of something from someone, please don't go boasting about it in the public forums. And finally, if you are looking for a copy of something, be a little more discrete.

For instance, instead of just coming out and saying, "YO, CAN SOMEONE BURN ME A COPY OF _______________?" how about something like, "Hey, I'm looking for ___________ but I'm having trouble finding it. Can someone help me out?"

Does this seem unreasonable? I just think with the massive amounts of traffic that this board is getting, we are inviting trouble if we get complacent on this. Again, I have no interest in arguing for or against the practice, I just know it exists and I don't want to get my ass sued. Ok?

From here on out, any post that I see that is actively offering / soliciting CDRs, even of out of print material, I will delete.

Thanks.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From here on out, any post that I see that is actively offering / soliciting CDRs, even of out of print material, I will delete.

does this include

- BFTs

- (pointers to) mp3 downloads

?

GADS! Let's not put an end to the pointers to mp3'd cheese!

Seriously, I'd appreciate direction from Jim A. on John's question.

Makes sense to me. There was one thread that to me seemed really out of hand, in which certain members not only admitted to having a copy of a never-issued session, but also offered to put together a CD-R of the best of this session to send to a certain producer. I think that really went overboard!

I have always strived to be discrete (not that I have anything to hide), but if I ever slipped, I apologize.

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

Makes sense to me. There was one thread that to me seemed really out of hand, in which certain members not only admitted to having a copy of a never-issued session, but also offered to put together a CD-R of the best of this session to send to a certain producer. I think that really went overboard!

I have always strived to be discrete (not that I have anything to hide), but if I ever slipped, I apologize.

Bertrand.

Jeez, if that's what Jim's talking about, I'll have to go and delete my comments now. I thought this thread was about burns of commercially available stuff, not unissued material. Jim, do you want me to remove that stuff I posted about the 1958 Blakey session tapes?

Kevin

I've publically offered members of this board copies of Sinatra session and concert material. Should those offers be restricted to PMs? (The only reason I've responded to folks publically is that it seems rude to allow their publically expressed wish to seemingly go ungranted. I've always found it nice to see members helping each other with unavailable material.)