Favorite Trumpet Quartet Albums

Big Al

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few that came to mind while reading the thread, focusing on trumpet-piano-bass-drums:

Anders Bergcrantz - C

Ted Curson - Ted Curson & Company

Art Farmer - Out of The Past

Darrell Grant - Black Art

Eddie Henderson - Flight of Mind

Kirk Lightsey/Freddie Hubbard - Temptation

Wynton Marsalis - J Mood (yes, I like this one!)

Wynton Marsalis - Live At Blues Alley (I like this one too!)

Misha Mengelberg w/ Dave Douglas - Four In One

Woody Shaw - In My Own Sweet Way

Wadada Leo Smith Golden Quartet - The Year of the Elephant

Matt Wilson - Arts And Crafts

Tom Peron - Interplay. He's a fabulous trumpeter out of the Bay area. I had never heard of him before getting a CD by him in a private collection I purchased. Was blown away by the warmth, clarity, and swing of his playing. His other CD, 'Dedication', is even better. Has a tenor player named Darius Babdazeh, who has the Joe Henderson thing down.

• 7 months later...

Got this one today and can't believe we overlooked it:

B00008AY68.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Two superb rhythm sections: Joe Zawinul/Sam Jones/Louis Hayes or Wynton Kelly/Paul Chambers/Philly Joe Jones, and a beautiful muted rendition of Love Letters ranking among the prettiest trumpet ballads I have heard!

I realize that Ruby Braff usually played cornet, as does Warren Vache, but here are a few quartet

recordings by them.

Ruby Braff - Live At The Regattabar - Arbors

Ruby Braff-George Barnes - live At The New School - Chiaroscuro

Ruby Braff and Ralph Sutton - R & R - Chiaroscuro

Ruby Braff/George Barnes - Plays Gershwin - Concord

Ruby Braff/George Barnes - Salutes Rodgers and Hart - Concord

Ruby Braff - The Canadian Sessions - Sackville

Warren Vache - Iridessence - Concord

Warren Vache - What Is There To Say? - Nagel-Heyer

Bless you for mentioning both Ruby and Warren. Both are gems and I'm a major fan.

I'm quite surprised no one mentioned the Art Farmer-Jim Hall collaboration (unless I missed it). The best known one is Interactions, and deservedly so. I Love Sweden is also good.

Chet Baker, the Tokyo concerts (1987) is very nice. Also, These Rooms (Jim Hall/Tom Harrell).

I'm sure I'll think of some others. Bedtime for Bonzo just now.

"Also don't forget 'The Ringer' by Tolliver, the studio session which came before the great 'Live at Slugs' albums. It is up to the same standard. 'Grand Max' was the name stuck on the Black Lion CD reissue of 'Live at Loosdrecht', which came out as a 2LP set on Strata-East in the 70's. Reggie Workman is amazing on that. And don't forget Tolliver's 'Compassion', a quartet with Nathan Page on guitar instead of a pianist. 'Empyrean Isles' is also fabulous, as is 'Outpost'. I've never been a big fan of 'Candy'. For the person who didn't knwo which label 'Empyrean Isles' was on, it was Blue Note."

Great info. I know all of this already. But it was just nice to hear someone else take note. I have all the Tolliver quartets. And I love the Freedie Hubbard and Herbie Hancock classic, "Empyrean Isles". I think the cover graphics is outstanding! I really like it.

blue%20note%20375.jpg

"Also don't forget 'The Ringer' by Tolliver, the studio session which came before the great 'Live at Slugs' albums. It is up to the same standard. 'Grand Max' was the name stuck on the Black Lion CD reissue of 'Live at Loosdrecht', which came out as a 2LP set on Strata-East in the 70's. Reggie Workman is amazing on that. And don't forget Tolliver's 'Compassion', a quartet with Nathan Page on guitar instead of a pianist. 'Empyrean Isles' is also fabulous, as is 'Outpost'. I've never been a big fan of 'Candy'. For the person who didn't knwo which label 'Empyrean Isles' was on, it was Blue Note."

Great info. I know all of this already. But it was just nice to hear someone else take note. I have all the Tolliver quartets. And I love the Freedie Hubbard and Herbie Hancock classic, "Empyrean Isles". I think the cover graphics is outstanding! I really like it.

blue%20note%20375.jpg

Man, I would stare at that cover for hours, back in the day. Nice to see so many fans of the Tolliver stuff.

Thirds (or fourths) for Soundin' Off...

Also:

Ted Curson - Pop Wine - (Futura) with the Georges Arvanitas Trio

Don Ellis - Essence - (Pacific Jazz) wih Bley, Peacock and Martinis

Don Ellis - How Time Passes - (Candid) with Byard, Persip and Ron Carter

Harry Beckett - Warm Smiles - (RCA-Victor) with John Taylor, Chris Laurence and ?John Webb

• 3 years later...

Don Ellis - Essence - (Pacific Jazz) wih Bley, Peacock and Martinis

Don Ellis - How Time Passes - (Candid) with Byard, Persip and Ron Carter

Thanks for mentioning Don Ellis. Essence was reissued by Mighty Quinn - I pulled it from the shelf last week and found it's probaly the most thrilling trumpet quartet album I ever heard!

517VjefTHXL._SS500_.jpg

To show all the arly trio and quartet albums:

51cbG2LlYzL._SS500_.jpg51csJdqVbIL._SS500_.jpg41MRCJAE6NL._SS500_.jpg

• 3 years later...

LewSoloff_Yesterdays.jpg

Lew Soloff: Yesterdays (1986)

A really stunning effort with original compositions by Soloff and features Mike Stern (g), Charnett Moffett (b), and Elvin Jones (d).

1.Yesterdays - Harbach, Kern 9:46

2.Barbara - Silver 8:55

3.Beautiful Mimi - Soloff 3:37

4.All Blues - Davis 8:59

5.Thaddeus - Soloff 6:28

6.Little Laura - Soloff 6:00

7.Antigua - Prince 7:21