What's next on your YourMusic.com queue?

GA Russell

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sonny Rollins: The Bridge. I'm slowly starting to build up a Rollins' collection, which is strange, he is someone I really don't go out of my way to collect -- if you know what I mean..

I don't have a lot of Rollins either -- but The Bridge is one of my favorite recordings, period. Looks like Rollin's "Complete Prestige Recordings" box set has disappeared from YM.

My most recent queue arrival:

d67177f3hcu.jpg

Buena Vista Social Club -- recommended by a fellow board member (Aggie87, IIRC). Thanks, Erik!!! :tup

Looks like Rollin's "Complete Prestige Recordings" box set has disappeared from YM.

I believe that all Fantasy products are gone from BMG and Your Music.

Yup. Been that way for a few months now. Luckily, I had ordered the Rollins Prestige box right before the Concord products disappeared and received it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am listening to The Complete Pacific Jazz Sessions - Gil Evans now, and can offer nothing but positive accollades. I like the latter half better, but didn't hear anything I didn't enjoy. It ends on a high note with "La Nevada"--great tune! Big :tup !

I am listening to The Complete Pacific Jazz Sessions - Gil Evans now, and can offer nothing but positive accollades. I like the latter half better, but didn't hear anything I didn't enjoy. It ends on a high note with "La Nevada"--great tune! Big :tup !

Excellent, 'cause that's next on my queue!

• 2 weeks later...

My pick this month is Michael Franks - Rendezvous in Rio.

I'm looking forward to this one. But I have a birthday coming up, so I plan to hold off till then to open it, and will give it to myself as a present. (I'm just making sure I get something I like! :D )

I think I have every Michael Franks album except Blue Pacific. Although he has recorded many songs which were subpar, every album has at least one song which is worth the price of the CD.

I have seen him in concert twice - in Pittsburgh about 1978 and in Atlanta about 1990. I also met him and chatted briefly with him early in his career when he was in a record store signing albums. At the time his new album was Sleeping Gypsy, which is what he signed for me. Nice guy.

CD Universe says that this was just released June 27. I saw it in the paper maybe three weeks ago listed as a jazz best seller. So it is pretty early in the game for BMG/Your Music to get it.

This is his first album on the Koch label. I don't know how Koch is affiliated with Warner. He was with Warner for about twenty years. In 1999 he released an album on Windham Hill, which I think is a BMG label. In 2003 he released a Christmas album on Rhino, which I believe has been owned by Warner for a few years now. Koch has released Atlantic (another Warner company for many years now) reissues in the past. So it looks like Franks is back with Warner, but maybe not.

Last November I got his Christmas album, called Watching the Snow. I played it a lot, and recommend it.

Being prepared for shipment:

Wes Montgomery - Smokin' At The Half Note.

Next month will be:

Grant Green - The Original Jam Master, Vol. 1. I already have 2 & 3 which I found as cutouts...right after it was released.

I missed out on:

Xavier Cugat - Cugi's Cocktails. Did I really miss out on something special...?

• 3 weeks later...