Donald Byrd - 'Free Form' RVG

trane_fanatic

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Errr...what was the question again?

That's it 'Free Form'. Blimey I bought it when it was RVG'd and you know what?

Because I can't put it on the iPod (I know there is a way, but I haven't fathomed it yet) I have yet to listen to it!!! :rolleyes:

I will, in dedication to this thread, 'cos I think it's about 'Free Form' ;) , put it on this evening. Or after the Top Gear re-runs have finished :P .

tonym,

Why is it you can't put this session on your iPod? Is it because you haven't figured out how to upload CDs into your iPod in general, or is it because of copy protection?

If it's the latter, I will start an open letter to Blue Note in another forum which I will send to Michael Cuscuna. If copy protection prevents CDs from being uploaded to iPods, that is totally unacceptable. If anything, it will encourage stealing.

The iPod is a playback medium, just like a CD player. One should be able to upload any CD to it.

Bertrand.

tonym,

Why is it you can't put this session on your iPod? Is it because you haven't figured out how to upload CDs into your iPod in general, or is it because of copy protection?

If it's the latter, I will start an open letter to Blue Note in another forum which I will send to Michael Cuscuna. If copy protection prevents CDs from being uploaded to iPods, that is totally unacceptable. If anything, it will encourage stealing.

The iPod is a playback medium, just like a CD player. One should be able to upload any CD to it.

Bertrand.

Unfortunately, it's the dreaded Copy Protection; so as a result I've now a nice new stack of RVGs which aren't able to go on said Pod. There is some software which allows you to do it, and I've heard some weird claims that black marker pen around the periphary of the disc will allow uploading, but no luck yet. That software does look mighty confusing.

As it happens, I've also heard talk that the new batch of European RVGs won't have CP. Can't remeber where I read that though.

Anyhow, that second track by Hancock sounds remarkably like Alone and I from errr...errr, you know Hancock's debut.

On the whole it a very riffy, straight ahead disc. Much like some of Morgan's post Sidewinder stuff, but then you hear Shorter's playing and in spite of it being only 1961, he has that slurry, emerging-from-the-ground sound. But then he comes across all Coltrane.

Edited by tonym

Aha - you say that 'Night Flower' and 'Alone And I' are similar/the same? I'll check. The McMaster Free Form had 'Night Flower' listed as composed by Byrd on the back cover (liner notes had Hancock).

As for the iPod issue, I will start a separate thread in reissues.

Bertrand.

• 7 years later...

They changed the color of the lettering from the regular issue to the RVG. I'm not sure what the original colors were on the LP.

anybody know the answer? on one issue the words "form" and "byrd" are green and on another they are red

maybe green = lp and red = CD (although I see some red lps on ebay)

I have the mid-80s lp which is green

yes, things are a little slow around here :P

Edited by Eric