Who have you met....

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My list is short. I met Sidewinder, who was visiting from the U.K, in Stuttgart in Vinyl West, a great used store! Had a nice, short discussion with him, then it was time to brave the afternoon traffic home. I recall he had a pretty decent haul of LPs from that place B-)

Edited by Aggie87

Stefan Wood

Marvin (back at BN.....I don't know if he lurks here anymore??)

Free for All

Spoke to KB & Dmitry on the phone and came within an inch of hooking up w/Tod (Out to Lunch) in Boston last year.

Wife & I spent the weekend up in NYC and was hoping I might bump into Chris Albertson sipping a glass of vino at either Henry's or Carne up at Broadway & W. 104th. B-) Some pleasant little neighborhood joints up there around Smoke.

Met as a result of contact thru the board:

Joe

Shawn

ChuckNessa&MrsChuckNessa

Lonson&MrsLonson

Big Al

Also taled to Kevin B on the phone once. Nice guy, and I still regret the "spat" we had here a while back.

Previously known:

Rostasi&MrsRostasi

SlideAdvantageRedux&MrsSlideAdvantageRedux

PorkerDavis&variousPorkettes

Agriffin&MrsAgriffin

Think that's it. Don't get around much anymore. If there's a Saturday dance and I'm not playing at it, I can usually be found at home.

I may have also briefly met makpjazz57 (Marla) at an Eric Alexander show at Scullers a couple years back--I think Kevin and Rob introduced us, but am not 100% sure. And shrugs and I were at the same William Parker/Marshall Allen/Kidd Jordan show about 4 years ago, but didn't see each other...and possibly the same thing happened with Dmitry at the Andrew Hill "Beautiful Day" Birdland shows.

Oh yeah, we Easterners are REAL friendly. :rolleyes:

I didn't mention that the Dmitry thing was a complete coincidence--neither knew the other would be there until a review of the show/CD was posted on the board. shrugs and I got in touch before the William Parker show and planned to meet, but he left at intermission (the show kinda sucked) and we didn't manage to spot each other before that point. He had to drive all the way home from Boston to somewhere in Connecticut, I believe, so pretty understandable not to waste time getting home...

As for Marla...I think I was in a hurry to split, maybe? :rcry

Edited by Big Wheel

Oh yeah, Shawn - another one. Maybe I should start over. Michael Weiss too.

Spose I could blame old age.

I think I may have chatted briefly on the phone with Michael Weiss when I was the jazz director at my college radio station. Usually I got all these calls to check on airplay from people whose CDs were complete dreck, and I remember being surprised to get a call from someone whose album I actually enjoyed...

Jim and Alison Alfredson, on their visit to NYC this past February.

And I'm quite certain that I was within 10 feet of Mr. Son-of-a-Weizen on the sidewalk at 7th and C the last Sunday in August, as he was quaffing a stein at Zum Schneiden while I schlepped groceries to the car I rented to drive my son back to college... but alas, we only discovered this coincidence later...

And I bought a fair amount of vinyl (and browsed through even more) on State Street in Madison, WI circa 1970-77 -- so I'll bet Chuck Nessa and I have laid eyes on each other...

My list is too long to post...

Okay... I'm lying... I'm a loser with no friends... I've said it! :lol::lol:

Actually, I've talked with SheldonM on the phone while working on his website and have exchanged a number of nice emails with some of you. :D

The only person I've actually met is Edward. He's a fine fellow. :tup BTW - Edward, if you're reading this, I will send you those cds... :excited:

And I'm quite certain that I was within 10 feet of Mr. Son-of-a-Weizen on the sidewalk at 7th and C the last Sunday in August, as he was quaffing a stein at Zum Schneiden ...

You didn't happen to walk past the Heidelberg Restaurant up on E. 86th yesterday afternoon 'bout 4:15, did you. I was standing out there in the light drizzle waiting to share a Camel Light & a Bitburger Pils w/you. B-)

And I'm quite certain that I was within 10 feet of Mr. Son-of-a-Weizen on the sidewalk at 7th and C the last Sunday in August, as he was quaffing a stein at Zum Schneiden ...

You didn't happen to walk past the Heidelberg Restaurant up on E. 86th yesterday afternoon 'bout 4:15, did you. I was standing out there in the light drizzle waiting to share a Camel Light & a Bitburger Pils w/you. B-)

Drat!!! I believe I was posting on this very board at that moment!

I got a PM from Big Al once (back when I was sidewndr. I think he was trying to reach sidewinder cause I had no idea what he was talking about.) Does that count? :(

Can't get any of you to come down this way ever since that movie Deliverance. :D

I got a PM from Big Al once (back when I was sidewndr. I think he was trying to reach sidewinder cause I had no idea what he was talking about.) Does that count? :(

Can't get any of you to come down this way ever since that movie Deliverance. :D

With any luck at a Righteous Buddha gig, my man! :tup

Jim Sangrey (in '76 at NTSU)

Chuck Nessa (in '80 at Kinnara)

John Thomas (in '92 at k29)

Joe Milazzo (a few years ago at that bar near SMU)

Al Rearick (last Wednesday at the Fallout Lounge)

I'm trying to remember who all showed up at

Jim's get together a coupla years ago...

(god, I'm feeling old....)

You must be old...at least older than the guy in the Avatar!

sheldonm (several times)

Chuck

Lazaro

Bol (several times)

Linn Tate (who rarely posts here)

Saw jazzmessenger at the Benny Golson concert but haven't met yet

Talked to Berigan once on the phone for several hours

Talked to Barak aka White Lightning once on the phone for several hours

A whole slew I'm hoping to meet at some point.

You are a brave man admiting that Ghost! :ph34r:

Of course, I see your broke White Lightning's heart along with mine....love 'em (once)and leave 'em! ;)