Who have you met....

I'm very impressed with how many of you actually have met face to face. :tup

For me its' only been one, Dmitry.

I've talked with soulstation1 and most recently Peter Johnson on the telephone.

Hopefully I will be having lunch or dinner with maren next week in NY, it would be nice if any other members in the area could join us.

I also will be in Philly that weekend, if all works out, I hope to meet with Peter Johnson. Who knows, I may be fortunate enough to connect with a few other members in Philly as well.

Have plans this summer to hit a few more places.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JSangrey and family (dog too)

Chuck Nessa/Mrs Nessa

I heard Michael Weiss a few years ago when he played at Dallas 'Jazz Under the Stars' (I think in the company of Marchel Ivery)

and perhaps I have on occasion been in the near proximity of other Dallas area board members at whatever jazz venue.....? I also understand that there are other ex-UNT guys in here (from the late 70's when Sangrey and I were there).

I didn't actually meet Mr JS until a few years back when we did a musical thing together at the old Winedale Tavern.

brownie, I really should move my ass to Paris sometime soon... I'd love to, but right now I see no way I could afford it :(

met in person: D.D. and mikeweil

talked to on the phone: deus (& brownie, to duplicate his mention)

not too many, and I sure would like to meet a few others!

but then, at the rate of emails I exchange with couw, I guess that almost counts as having met in person (and drank gallons of beer together, too...) :w

Dmitry and his lovely wife last year on a visit to NY. We saw Randy Weston at the Jazz Standard.

Ted O'Reilly, though we've never had a face to face conversation. I went to numerous jazz concerts in Toronto he hosted or recorded.

I feel I meet Weizen every-time my I quaff 2 or more Schneider-Weisses :lol:

I didn't actually meet Mr JS until a few years back when we did a musical thing together at the old Winedale Tavern.

Your memory's bad, J.D. - our paths crossed a few times at NT in the late 70s/early 80s, usually having something to do with one or both of the Babcock brothers, or with Conrad having shit stolen by people I was marginally associated with. However, I was in the process of leaving town, you were in the process of coming in, and we were both usually in no condition to remember anything, if you know what I mean...

Then we played together at a rehearsal in Denton put together by guitarist Scott Whigham. You brough in a tune, I brought in one called "Only Their Ears Were Pink", and Scott had a bunch of unformed sketches. I think that Drew might have been there too, maybe Earl Harvin as well. Whatever, it was a mess...

But yeah, the Winedale was the beginning of our "modern-day" knowing of each other. Pappy drinks to that!

Man, it's amazing how many north-Texans we got around here, and how few of 'em I've actually met!

Dude, that's the way it goes - we never go anywhere, but nobody knows us anyways.

It's like being buried in an unmarked grave, except you can't leave your unpaid bills for your heirs to take care of. :g

Your memory's bad, J.D. - our paths crossed a few times at NT in the late 70s/early 80s, usually having something to do with one or both of the Babcock brothers, or with Conrad having shit stolen by people I was marginally associated with. However, I was in the process of leaving town, you were in the process of coming in, and we were both usually in no condition to remember anything, if you know what I mean...

Then we played together at a rehearsal in Denton put together by guitarist Scott Whigham. You brough in a tune, I brought in one called "Only Their Ears Were Pink", and Scott had a bunch of unformed sketches. I think that Drew might have been there too, maybe Earl Harvin as well. Whatever, it was a mess...

Well yeah, the chosen activities during that period of time didn't exactly contribute to the preservation of memory. I recall a few momentous highlights along the way...

I do somehow recall that Whigham rehearsal, and yes it was -as most things that Drew was associated with - a mess.

I do know Dave Bowman well, but he ain't me!

Edited by slide_advantage_redoux

I also understand that there are other ex-UNT guys in here (from the late 70's when Sangrey and I were there).

Well, if you're trombonist Dave Bowman, then we were roommates :unsure:

Bowman mentioned a roomate of his in Bruce Hall who had a rather large, well catalogued collection of LPs. He also mentioned a prank involving same.

It seems that he and a cohort decided it would be cool (amusing?) to do a wholesale switcheroo, pulling the LPs out of the jackets and inserting them in other jackets, leaving the catalogued collection a total mess. :blink:

I hope that wasn't your collection.

And no, the cohort wasn't me either. I heard this tale years after the crime.

Bowman mentioned a roomate of his in Bruce Hall who had a rather large, well catalogued collection of LPs. He also mentioned a prank involving same.

It seems that he and a cohort decided it would be cool (amusing?) to do a wholesale switcheroo, pulling the LPs out of the jackets and inserting them in other jackets, leaving the catalogued collection a total mess.  :blink:

So that was HIM!

:lol::lol::lol:

It seems that he and a cohort decided it would be cool (amusing?) to do a wholesale switcheroo, pulling the LPs out of the jackets and inserting them in other jackets, leaving the catalogued collection a total mess.  :blink:

Actually, I don't think they got very far with it 'cause I can only remember a

dozen or two out of whack. The truth finally comes out! :lol:

Yes, it was definitely my collection, but the weird thing

is that they've never been cataloged - even (especially?) today -

always been a fan of randomness and chance operations.

Of course, it causes problems if I actually have to hunt for something specific...

Damn that Bowman! :lol::lol::lol:

Actually, I don't think they got very far with it 'cause I can only remember a

dozen or two out of whack. The truth finally comes out! :lol:

Yes, it was definitely my collection, but the weird thing

is that they've never been cataloged - even (especially?) today -

always been a fan of randomness and chance operations.

Of course, it causes problems if I actually have to hunt for something specific...

Damn that Bowman! :lol::lol::lol:

Uhhhm, does this board provide whistle-blowers protection? B-)

I'll be damned if I can remember all the people I met at the various hangs I've been to. I definitely remember the New York hang with Blue Note's Tom Evered and that drive in Dmitry's car! It was filled with us board members.

Hmm... trying to remember...

Jazzshrink - my buddy

mike casinghino

Jazzkitten

Big Wheel

John L (had a blast in Bourdeux with John and his wife)

Christiern (even though he can't remember our meeting :) )

makpjazz57 (Marla)

Stereojack

ADR (? - not sure if this is Doug's user name)

.:.Impossible (? if he is the Cary that used to live in Charlotte area)

Shawn (? Again, if it's who I think he is - also from my Charlotte hang)

Bertrand

Dmitry

Al in NYC (? I think that's who was sitting in that booth with Tom Evered that time)

Dr Dave

Gary Sisco (member here but never posted - lots of posts at JC)

Pete C

Steve Reynolds

stevebop

There are likely others but I just can't tell from the usernames.

I have enjoyed talking with many posters. Lon and I have chatted quite a bit... in fact, I have to give him a call one of these days. I had a nice chat with Jim Sangrey back when he was having trouble with Blue Note's board (and don't worry Jim, any disagreements we had over that "thread deletion" spat is ancient history). I spoke with Weizen a couple of times. We have so many common interests and taste that his poilitcal leanings still blow my mind... which is why I totally avoid the politics threads... I like the guy and don't need a reason to think otherwise. I have spoken and still do speak ocassionally with "the DEEP one, Danny D'Imperio. We trade rare tapes. I still owe him something. I should get to that one of these days.

I plan to meet Trumpet Guy soon. We have some wine to share. :)

I think my buddy from Taipei is here somewhere but I can't find his name.

Later,

Kevin

I don't get out as much these days (or I'm not "let out" as the case may be), but as Jon said I have met NOJ. I've mostly met some guys from the ol' BN board who don't (or rarely) post here: Chris, Jason, and Terence (TJazz). I'm also fairly certain that a few other L.A. cats (like Adam) and I have been to the same concerts without us realizing it until after.