July '05 Mosaic Running Low & Last Chance

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My J.J. Johnson set (#4412) arrived on Wednesday. A number of comments, several of which have been made before, but are worth repeating.

1. Thanks for the running low alert. This community, my friend, is quite an Organ-i-zation (best pronounced with long "i").

2. That Mosaic customer service still impresses. Ordered Monday evening, on my doorstep Wednesday afternoon. [better than my recent experiences at J&R and alldirect.]

3. Together with Byrd/Adams, Jazztet, and a tall stack of OJCs (from J&R and alldirect), I have plenty of new material to enjoy before Bird/Diz arrives.

4. My amazon order for Bird/Diz just got pushed back to October. I guess I won't be listening to this before it cools down a bit outside (hopefully this will be sooner than when hell freezes over).

5. I need to pause now for a bit from acquiring.

6. That O'Day lady sure photographs well.

hey honey, you know that Anita O' Day set from mosaic is almost sold out, maybe we should grab it. How much is it, uh...only $144. Yes I know I have lots of those Mosaic sets already and a 1000cds but....

. . . but she looked so great in those gloves and high heels--naaah, on second thought, better not try that one.

When the Anita O'Day set went to Last Chance on the Mosaic site I was not in the mood to purchase the set. It's a set that I'd planned to purchase 'some day.' Anita O'Day is my second favorite female jazz singer. Make no mistake, this is a set I've desired but just hadn't had the enough desire to purchase yet. I was planning to make the purchase when my mood was right or when the set was moved to Last Chance.

My Anita box arrived last week (or was it the week before?). I played the first couple of disks and a middle-of-the-set couple of disks. The music is good and Anita is good as expected. For whatever reason, I've not been in the mood for vocal jazz in recent days. I don't know why. My report on the set, so far... The first disk, while it does sound like Anita, has more of an easy-listening, jazz, pop edge. For example, Anita covers two songs that don't seem real jazz-like. These songs are 'Rock & Roll Blues' and 'Vaya Con Dios.' While Anita does well with these tunes, they aren't exactly jazzy. As the set progresses, starting 'round the middle of disk two, Anita evolves into more of a jazz singer. While playing one of the disks from the middle of the set I got a smile on my face. I thought, "Yeah! Her name is Anita O'Day, with a capital 'O.' The one and only."

I believe this is a good set of music. This is a Mosaic set that I'd definitely been disappointed to have missed. Unfortunately, I'm not in the mood for vocal jazz as I type these words. I look forward to finding deeper revelations in the weeks to come.

hey honey, you know that Anita O' Day set from mosaic is almost sold out, maybe we should grab it. How much is it, uh...only $144. Yes I know I have lots of those Mosaic sets already and a 1000cds but....

. . . but she looked so great in those gloves and high heels--naaah, on second thought, better not try that one.

yes you can... just add she's 80+ now... and YOU (honey) look much better in high heels... :bad:

Or how about....It's REALLY great music and I'll be a very sad, unhappy person if I don't get it... :o:o

OR.... Do what I Do....

Order online, hide receipt, intercept DHL (or UPS) delivery while she's in the bathroom. hide box in closet... She'll never know....!!! :tup:tup:tup:tup

I completely understand what you're saying... Sometimes you're in the mood for vocals, sometimes not... but the beauty of this set.. is that I suspect it will grow on you.. not only over weeks but years....

Good purchase! :)

When the Anita O'Day set went to Last Chance on the Mosaic site I was not in the mood to purchase the set. It's a set that I'd planned to purchase 'some day.' Anita O'Day is my second favorite female jazz singer. Make no mistake, this is a set I've desired but just hadn't had the enough desire to purchase yet. I was planning to make the purchase when my mood was right or when the set was moved to Last Chance.

My Anita box arrived last week (or was it the week before?). I played the first couple of disks and a middle-of-the-set couple of disks. The music is good and Anita is good as expected. For whatever reason, I've not been in the mood for vocal jazz in recent days. I don't know why. My report on the set, so far... The first disk, while it does sound like Anita, has more of an easy-listening, jazz, pop edge. For example, Anita covers two songs that don't seem real jazz-like. These songs are 'Rock & Roll Blues' and 'Vaya Con Dios.' While Anita does well with these tunes, they aren't exactly jazzy. As the set progresses, starting 'round the middle of disk two, Anita evolves into more of a jazz singer. While playing one of the disks from the middle of the set I got a smile on my face. I thought, "Yeah! Her name is Anita O'Day, with a capital 'O.' The one and only."

I believe this is a good set of music. This is a Mosaic set that I'd definitely been disappointed to have missed. Unfortunately, I'm not in the mood for vocal jazz as I type these words. I look forward to finding deeper revelations in the weeks to come.

Unfortunately, I'm not in the mood for vocal jazz as I type these words. I look forward to finding deeper revelations in the weeks to come.

Yeah, just wait until you're in the mood for it, and you'll love it. This was my first Mosaic, and is still the one that I return to the most, but I still avoid it when I'm in one of those "no vocals" periods. But I've noticed that they hit less frequently now that I have this...

Unfortunately, I'm not in the mood for vocal jazz as I type these words. I look forward to finding deeper revelations in the weeks to come.

Yeah, just wait until you're in the mood for it, and you'll love it. This was my first Mosaic, and is still the one that I return to the most, but I still avoid it when I'm in one of those "no vocals" periods. But I've noticed that they hit less frequently now that I have this...

The way I look at a large, "complete" set like this is that I can take my time listening to it. There is certainly no hurry to get through all 9 disks. This is an investment in "future enjoyment" as much as current $$.

I could say that for all my Mosaics, actually.

Yeah, just wait until you're in the mood for it, and you'll love it.  This was my first Mosaic, and is still the one that I return to the most, but I still avoid it when I'm in one of those "no vocals" periods.  But I've noticed that they hit less frequently now that I have this...

Yes. This will happen to me regarding the O'Day set. It will happen when I least expect it. I will have a treasure trove of new music to explore. It will be a good day.

If it's 3 to 5 weeks, that's not airmail but economy.  I've been selling some cds lately and they get over to the continent in less than a week.  Shipping couldn't be more than $20 although I don't know what you're paying.

$30 for ultra slow delivery, as I said not good, billed by Mosaic as being "airmail" and not "economy". This speed of delivery is what I'm used to getting from surface shipments ( which they no longer offer on orders over $100)- that would have cost around $18 !!! I guess I'll relax if and when I actually get it in my hands but none the less it's not what I'd expect from Mosaic.

If it's 3 to 5 weeks, that's not airmail but economy.  I've been selling some cds lately and they get over to the continent in less than a week.  Shipping couldn't be more than $20 although I don't know what you're paying.

$30 for ultra slow delivery, as I said not good, billed by Mosaic as being "airmail" and not "economy". This speed of delivery is what I'm used to getting from surface shipments ( which they no longer offer on orders over $100)- that would have cost around $18 !!! I guess I'll relax if and when I actually get it in my hands but none the less it's not what I'd expect from Mosaic.

Are you saying the delayed delivery is Mosaic's fault? How exactly? Once the parcel is out of their hands, there's nothing they can do about it. It could be the carrier's fault, or the parcel could be held up by Customs (which, in the Netherlands, could take weeks).