RVG Prestige!

GA Russell

I've got most of these and won't be getting these for the above reasons. As to the coolness of RVG's Prestige work, a lot may have to do that he mastered records differently for them than for BN. This was discussed a while ago when he said that he wouldn't master records for others the same way he did for BN. So, maybe that's some of it.

The RVG BN's are fabulous, but I have found it is very much a 'system' thing, hot tweeters and weak bass combined with hard sounding digital sources will give very poor results with RVG's. The earlier TOCJ's and McMasters are softer and more diffuse, without the crisp dynamics of the RVG's, so some systems will prefer that.

The problem with the Prestige stuff getting RVG'd is, as others have said, that the warhorses in this catalog have been the single most massively over-reissued catalog ever. It seems that just about anybody can license this stuff and there are several reissued versions annually. With that kind of over-exploitation, it's hard to get interested in yet another kick at the can.

I wish for RVG to do lots more of the Impulse catalog. His work on Coltrane, Ballads and ALS was superb.

At his age, he's long made what money he's going to make.

Huh?

Yeah, I don't understand that either. He's a busy guy, doing plenty of new sessions.

Well, yeah, it's like, if you make some new money, you make some new money. I don't understand the concept of "making all the money you're going to make".

Yeah, well, like, duhhhhhh, like when you're like in your seventies man, like, if you need to keep working to make some uh, money man, like, you're really dumb, you know, like, you really have like made lots of money in your career already man, like uh, cool you know, if you don't get it...

...then don't talk to me like I'm some idiot, JSngry, if you don't understand what I wrote, it's polite to ask a question.

Skip the sarcasm and the condescending tone next time. Makes you look...small.

By the way, a line like"if you make some new money, you make some new money" makes no sense. What do YOU mean - make some new money to make some new money?

Huh?

No wonder you have a tough time with simple concepts.

Yeah, well, like, duhhhhhh, like when you're like in your seventies man, like, if you need to keep working to make some uh, money man, like, you're really dumb, you know, like, you really have like made lots of money in your career already man, like uh, cool you know, if you don't get it...

...then don't talk to me like I'm some idiot, JSngry, if you don't understand what I wrote, it's polite to ask a question.

Skip the sarcasm and the condescending tone next time. Makes you look...small.

By the way, a line like"if you make some new money, you make some new money" makes no sense. What do YOU mean - make some new money to make some new money?

Huh?

No wonder you have a tough time with simple concepts.

The meaning of all this being a prime example, I must confess...

In many cases, however, I don't believe Van Gelder is 'the best' at the art of remastering. Yes, I know many of these recordings were recorded, initially, by Rudy Van Gelder. However, I don't believe that Van Gelder is ALWAYS the best at the art of remastering in the modern day. Ron McMaster is better sometimes.

RVG wasn't the best at recording, either.

Guy

If one looks at remastering for just what it is, a last chance to adjust and correct the mistakes or flaws present in the original recording sessions, it makes very little sense for the mastering and recording/balance engineer to be the same person...

The result is almost mathematically the addition of the "distortions" one brings within the recording process AND the mastering process, for exemple a propensity to lift some frequencies, or add reverb or hall effects unreasonably.

Also, the changes in acoustical perception with age makes things worse when the same person is in charge the two jobs.I usually ask a colleague or friend to master my recordings and vice versa : I feel it gives better results, more balanced and neutral.

But then, with such a name as Rudy's....it is still worth a LOT of money to use it as a marketing tool :rofl:

Having said that, I enjoy enormously the majority of his works, even his RVG remasterings :wub:

What's frustrating about this news is that there are PLENTY of RVG sessions in the back catalogue that seriously need a sonic upgrade. Fantasy came out of the gate firing in the early days of the CD--we're talking 15-17 years ago-- and a lot of good stuff hasn't been revisited since then.