RVG Prestige!

GA Russell

I received in the mail today a press release from Concord, listing upcoming releases.

Due in Q1, 2006, are:

The Miles Davis Quintet featuring John Coltrane - The Legendary Quintet Sessions, 1956, a 3-CD set. I said here earlier that I expected them to do this, but I wonder why they haven't included the first recordings from 1955.

Sonny Stitt - Stitt's Bits: The Bebop Recordings, 1949-1952, a 3-CD set on Prestige.

Due in Q2, 2006, are Rudy Van Gelder Remasters on Prestige:

Eric Dolphy - Out There

Gene Ammons - Boss Tenor

John Coltrane - Lush Life

Miles Davis - Relaxin'

Sonny Rollins - Saxophone Colossus

Coleman Hawkins - The Hawk Relaxes

Burrell/Coltrane - Kenny Burrell/John Coltrane

Kenny Dorham - Quiet Kenny

Red Garland - Red Garland's Piano

The Modern Jazz Quartet - Django

Any thoughts?

I'd rather have more/new K2 remasters done by Tamaki Beck and Shigeo Miyamoto. These two gentlemen, in my opinion, are generally superior to the current product offered under the RVG name. I wonder if Concord will continue the K2 series with the remastering done by Tamaki Beck?

Any thoughts?

As years go by, I'm tending to be less and less inspired to buy the same music over and over again. I know there are those who are more interested in sonic upgrades, but there is still more music that hasn't been reissued at all. I'll never become militant about the whole thing, but I have to say that these types of announcements don't often excite me much.

The Stitt material looks promising, though. :)

Any thoughts?

As years go by, I'm tending to be less and less inspired to buy the same music over and over again. I know there are those who are more interested in sonic upgrades, but there is still more music that hasn't been reissued at all. I'll never become militant about the whole thing, but I have to say that these types of announcements don't often excite me much.

:tup

Eric Dolphy - Out There

Miles Davis - Relaxin'

All these were released on SACD lately, supposed to be superior to CDs. It doesn't make sense to reissue them on newly remastered CDs again.

I agree with Chuck, from a marketing standpoint this is a natural. . . they might as well get on the RVG reissue wagon as Blue Note and Verve (and even the Monk Family) have used him . . . There must be some money in it for the labels. Concord might as well come out of the ropes with something new and proven. And I happen to be one of those who likes his remastering work a lot. . . .

I'd be interested in hearing these. . . I'll probably get a few.

Any thoughts?

:tup

What they said!

I've purchased most all of the RVGs that have been issued by Blue Note. This is due, in most cases, to the fact that I don't already own these titles. And, the RVGs are better than the 1980s McMaster re-issues.

In many cases, however, I don't believe Van Gelder is 'the best' at the art of remastering. Yes, I know many of these recordings were recorded, initially, by Rudy Van Gelder. However, I don't believe that Van Gelder is ALWAYS the best at the art of remastering in the modern day. Ron McMaster is better sometimes.

In regard to Fantasy/Concord, I have no desire to purchase RVGs of titles that have already been made available in the K2 format. I believe the K2s are VERY good and, most of the time, better than the RVGs issued by Blue Note.

Please, leave the RVGs to Blue Note. It's been a terrific series. However, I prefer to purchase Fantasy reissues that have been remastered by Tamaki Beck and Shigeo Miyamoto.

Eric Dolphy - Out There

Miles Davis - Relaxin'

All these were released on SACD lately, supposed to be superior to CDs. It doesn't make sense to reissue them on newly remastered CDs again.

I bought some of these SACD hybrids via yourmusic.com. They sound more than fine to these ears...

In many cases, however, I don't believe Van Gelder is 'the best' at the art of remastering. Yes, I know many of these recordings were recorded, initially, by Rudy Van Gelder. However, I don't believe that Van Gelder is ALWAYS the best at the art of remastering in the modern day. Ron McMaster is better sometimes.

RVG wasn't the best at recording, either.

Guy

I'm surprised by the coolness toward van Gelder I see here, because I never see it on the threads about the Blue Note RVGs.

There must be some interest, though, because this thread has over 540 views in less than two days!

I'm looking forward to the Miles Quintet release. I have the four LPs, and I assume that this release will have the songs in recorded order, which I would like to hear.

I wonder if Concord will allow the OJCs of the albums it has remastered to go out of print. It wouldn't surprise me. Why keep on pressing the old?

I'm surprised by the coolness toward van Gelder I see here, because I never see it on the threads about the Blue Note RVGs.

There must be some interest, though, because this thread has over 540 views in less than two days!

I'm looking forward to the Miles Quintet release.  I have the four LPs, and I assume that this release will have the songs in recorded order, which I would like to hear.

I wonder if Concord will allow the OJCs of the albums it has remastered to go out of print.  It wouldn't surprise me.  Why keep on pressing the old?

I think the "coolness" has to do with several (many?) of these sessions being already widely available as regular OJCs, K2s, and SACDS. Do we really need 3-4 different masterings of the exact same material out at the same time? (Though at least the SACDs will likely be cutouts soon.)