***Joe Henderson***

Templejazz

Thanks for the heads up, Jim.  I just ordered a copy.

Hey Conn500 - I'll be curious to hear what you think of this one. I borrowed it from a friend years ago, and at least at that time I thought it was a pretty 'out' date, probably one of the most 'out' things Joe's ever recorded - actually. For some reason or another, I never did pick it up myself - probably just too expensive when I did see it, which wasn't ever that often.

If you find you don't care for it, I'd be happy to provide it a happy and caring home... ...if ya know what I mean. ;)

No prob, Rooster,

If I don't like it (unlikely), it will be winging its way over to you!

I've pm'd you.

Conn

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It IS one of Joe's more "out" dates, but not an inaccessable one if one is not inherently opposed to freer (as opposed to outright "free") playing. Joe's mastery of the instrument and supreme musicality are evident from the git-go, and that alone is appealing to me. Others' milage, of course, may vary considerably. But I personally think it's a stone gas of a side.

And they DO have more than one copy, I'd imagine. ;)

I just remembered Joe is playing on this rare bird:

afrobeat.jpg

Paramount PAS 6061, released in 1973. He fits nicely into Manu Dibango's role on the title track, energetic and wild soloing!

Marvin Stamm and Eddie Bert are the other horns; the album combines Olatunji's afro-beats with some funky shadings provided by Reggie Lucas and Gordon Edwards.

One thing I always admired about Joe is how well he adapted to different, especially more "exotic" contexts: This encounter with African rhythms is as satisfying as his excurisons into Cuban (Canyon Lady), funky (Black Miracle) or exotic soundscapes (The Elements). On the latter I really like his tasteful use of overdubs and electronic attachments. Saw him live in Germany with some flamenco-jazz encounter project. He has an element of Northern African music in his sound and phrasing on these occasions.

Edited by mikeweil

• 11 months later...

Good to see this thread up for more airing yet again. There were so many recorded highlights in Joe's career - he hardly put a foot wrong.

It also reminds me to give the 'Barcelona' CD a spin this weekend.

Two personal favourites - 'Brown Sugar', recorded with Freddie Roach and with Joe playing very much a supporting, late-nite R&B type role. Just shows how incredibly flexible he could be at the BN sessions. Also '49th Parallel' a Concord Jazz session recorded in either 88/89 by Neil Swainson's Qunitet. This one has the added advantage of Woody Shaw also in the front line. Strange that this session isn't mentioned more often !

Interesting to read Mike's recollections of meeting with and hearing Joe in Germany (I guess it was the 1970s, 1980s?). Reminds me of a holiday I had over in SW Germany with friends back around 1982/83. One of these folks was at senior school and gave me a copy of their school newsletter to read over. Imagine my reaction when I noticed mention of a 'school concert' with 'The Joe Henderson Quartet'. About 5DM admission I think - unfortunately it was already over. My friends had absolutely no idea who Joe Henderson was and how huge a name in jazz he had become. :(

A Joe Henderson I had never heard about is the 'Warm Valley' album he recorded in 1991 in Washington, D.C., with the Louis Scherr/Tommy Cecil/Tony Martucci trio. Henderson plays on five of the eight tracks of this What's In a Name release. Nice album.

A Joe Henderson I had never heard about is the 'Warm Valley' album he recorded in 1991 in Washington, D.C., with the Louis Scherr/Tommy Cecil/Tony Martucci trio. Henderson plays on five of the eight tracks of this What's In a Name release. Nice album.

LOTS of cheap copies of "Warm Valley" to be found on half.com, if anybody's looking for one. There's two that are "like new" for only $3 a pop (plus postage).

• 4 months later...

Just listening to "The Kicker" once again tonight. Gotta be one of Joe's greatest "unsung" albums. Some REALLY solid tunes and the group of Grachan Moncur, Kenny Barron, Ron Carter, Louis Hayes is first rate. The only weak link is Mike Lawrence on trumpet, who is competent, but not of the caliber of the rest of the group (as a soloist, that is).

The Elvin Campbell engineering is up there with RVG's engineering on those early CTI albums ("Red Clay", "Straight Life", etc.).

If you don't have this........get it.

d52824856f9.jpg

Just listening to "The Kicker" once again tonight. Gotta be one of Joe's greatest "unsung" albums. Some REALLY solid tunes and the group of Grachan Moncur, Kenny Barron, Ron Carter, Louis Hayes is first rate. The only weak link is Mike Lawrence on trumpet, who is competent, but not of the caliber of the rest of the group (as a soloist, that is).

The Elvin Campbell engineering is up there with RVG's engineering on those early CTI albums ("Red Clay", "Straight Life", etc.).

If you don't have this........get it.

d52824856f9.jpg

Gotta disagree. I don't have anything approaching a "complete" Joe Henderson collection, but out of ten CDs of him as a leader, this one is easily the weakest.

Guy

AncientDynasty.jpg

Joanne Brackeen - "Ancient Dynasty" (Tappan Zee / Columbia, 1980)

Joanne Brackeen : piano

Eddie Gomez : bass

Jack DeJohnette : drums

Joe Henderson : tenor

Spontoonious burned this LP for me (it's never been released on CD, far as we can tell), and I have to give it very high marks. Joe plays very well (as do all the players), and there is quite a bit of through-composed music here, which one rarely gets to hear Joe play (or many jazz musicians, for that matter).

Well worth seeking out. (If it were ever released on CD, I'd buy one for sure.) :tup:tup

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I picked up the Lp version of POWER TO THE PEOPLE.  I like it more than some of the classic BN stuff but for different reasons.  What do you guys think of this one?

Absolutely love it. Other than his BN work, this is my favorite Joe Henderson album, hands down. 5-stars. :tup:tup:tup:tup:tup

Edit: It doesn't hurt that this was one of the very first jazz albums I ever heard (and probably one of the first ten I taped, back in my college days). Had it on a 90-minute cassette with "Mode For Joe" on the flip-side. :wub:

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I thought you dug it; didn't know you liked it that much, however. There is a two-fer that fantasy put out - is POWER TO THE PEOPLE also on that (I think it is)? I think the other album on it is called BLACKNESS or something like that. AMG doesn't give this one a very high rating but that means nothing to me. Anyone have this? Is the Milestone box worth it or should I stick a few of the better single sessions?

I thought you dug it; didn't know you liked it that much, however. There is a two-fer that fantasy put out - is POWER TO THE PEOPLE also on that (I think it is)? I think the other album on it is called BLACKNESS or something like that. AMG doesn't give this one a very high rating but that means nothing to me. Anyone have this? Is the Milestone box worth it or should I stick a few of the better single sessions?

Here's an entire thread about the Joe Henderson Milestone box, if you're on the fence about buying one. My advice is if you find one at a decent price, take the plunge.

CLICKY LINKY

Problem is, some of the Milestones released individually sound better than their counterparts in the boxset. I'm thinking of In Japan, especially, with its more recent remastering. However, I'm keeping the Milestone box until all the albums are available by themselves - the last two titles are only in the complete set, if I'm not mistaken.

My favorite of the Milestone years is Tetragon, BTW, altho In Japan is very strong. And I have a fondness for Multiple (Tress Cun Deo La....)