C.T. is moving...

Hey, I'm moving to Texas next month to start a Master's in Library and Information Science (Archives and Preservation) at the University of Texas, Spring semester. This will be a big move for me, as well as a return to the academic life - something I'd been missing up here in Minneapolis.

I'll be laying over in Houston for a month with my folks and making trips up to Austin to scour for an apartment, and of course I haven't packed a damn thing at this point. Not that I really have much to move other than records and books, but still...

Anyway, wish me luck and hopefully I'll be seeing some of you very shortly. And yes, Jim, I'll be bringing that copy of "Deuces Wild" so if you come down to Austin, it's all yours!

Cheers,

Clifford

It's a long late night drive back from Dallas after a Quartet Out gig!

The Ellington wing, and the rest of the museum, has very very restricted access and hours due to paranoid spousal residential say so. . . .

But there's a Starbucks, a Chilis and a Chipoltle less than a block away!

I'm moving to Texas next month to start a Master's in Library and Information Science (Archives and Preservation) at the University of Texas

I am hearing more and more about this as a field which is seeing a dramatic rejenuvation in the internet age. Some subfields with in computer science is merging with this.. It looks like you are entering this at a great time. Good luck and all the best.

Given that UT itself has one of the greatest archives in the world (Gutenberg Bible, world's first photograph, original manuscripts of too many world-famous authors to name, and on and on and on . . .), you've picked a great place. But of course, as already mentioned, the most impressive collection in Austin is Lon's.

I don't know why people are saying that because I don't believe it is true.

And it's closed to the public!

Anyway, that program at U T is full of good people as well as wonderful material for jazz fans (Russell, Bird, Tegaraden collections et al) and history buffs in general (with a deliberate bias towards modern American history, which is quite cool!) Good move C T-- I think you'll be happy with Austin in general, though from a JAZZ perspective it's pitiful.

Y'all come on down! (and bring the Deuces!)

Just remember one thing, and one thing only - no matter how may idiots you hear say "jah-la-peen-o", doing so is grounds for justifiable homicide.

Get that right, and you'll be cool. The other stuff, like learning to pronounce "Bexar" like it's the aspirin, has a user-friendly learning curve.

But not the jalapeno thing. No sir!