Miles Davis Quintet w/Coltrane

Sundog

Saw this listed at CD Universe.  Anyone have additional information on this?

Davis, Miles Quintet With John Coltrane

Live In Den Haag  Pre-Order Now! Available: Tuesday, November 01, 2005

It's on the Lonehill label- I don't have time to search, but I seem to recall a discussion here about Lonehill that was not very complimentary, but I'm going only by memory here.

This material has been out several times here and there, I last saw it as "On Green Dolphin Street" on Stash. There are also some extra tracks that were on the Yadeon "Rare Broadcasts" cd from Japan: tracks from the Tonight Show (Steve Allen version) and some Cafe Bohemia tracks.

I believe Lonehill have also released the Manchester, UK gig from October 1960 with Sonny Stitt.

I have avoided anything to do with Lonehill so far but I'm afraid I may have to make an exception on these. All the stuff from the March- April tour with Trane is worth having.

I have the On Green Dolphin Street issue, and the sound is inferior, not nearly as good as the Stockholm and Paris concerts.

This material has been out several times here and there, I last saw it as "On Green Dolphin Street" on Stash.  There are also some extra tracks that were on the Yadeon "Rare Broadcasts" cd from Japan:  tracks from the Tonight Show (Steve Allen version) and some Cafe Bohemia tracks.

I have avoided anything to do with Lonehill so far but I'm afraid I may have to make an exception on these.

Imo, labels such as Lonehill function in a significantly more ambiguous area of odiousness when they release "grey market" items such as this than when they release material that is blatantly pirated from legitmately copyrighted "official" recordings.

It's still a sticky area, to be sure, but it's sort of like the difference between stealing somebody's furniture out of their house and "helping yourself" to stuff that's left out on the curb.

Sort of...

I have avoided anything to do with Lonehill so far but I'm afraid I may have to make an exception on these.

Imo, labels such as Lonehill function in a significantly more ambiguous area of odiousness when they release "grey market" items such as this than when they release material that is blatantly pirated from legitmately copyrighted "official" recordings.

It's still a sticky area, to be sure, but it's sort of like the difference between stealing somebody's furniture out of their house and "helping yourself" to stuff that's left out on the curb.

Sort of...

Agreed, but then today there are means to keep the bootleggers from earning money with this stuff. And it seems that many of these grey market items on Lonehill don't sound better than the version floating around, either, so there's really no reason to pay for this stuff - best would probably be to pay some to the musicians or their estates.

Here's what da Bastards have to say about it ...

Rare live work from the Miles Davis quintet with John Coltrane -- issued here with some even more interesting bonus tracks! The first 5 tracks on the album feature Davis and Coltrane blowing live in Den Haag in April of 1960 -- playing long renditions of Davis-tuned classics that include "So What", "Walkin", "On Green Dolphin Street", and "Round Midnight". These are followed by a Studio 61 TV broadcast of "So What" with the same group from 1959 -- but then go back even further, to 1955, when Coltrane had first met up with Davis -- as the quintet (with Red Garland) plays live on "Max Is Making Wax" and "It Never Entered My Mind", both recorded for the Tonight Show! The last 2 tracks on the set feature the same group a year later, recorded at the Blue Note in Philly -- on versions of "Tune Up" and "Walkin". 10 tracks in all -- and a great document of this important group!

One simple rule: if you don't have the legit Stockholm and Paris concerts, stop.

Then, if you have digested these, decide if you believe in "whatever" or "not me".

In this day we all have to set our own standards.

The Paris stuff should be the first priority.

Fully agreed. Those two were the first I got from this tour.

What about the Jazz Unlimited release of the Zurich set? Is that definitely grey, too, or is that some kind of radio thing with some kind of arrangement? Jazz Unlimited is part of or related to Storyville.

No argument there. At least the blantently pirated stuff is easily ignorable. I'd rather Lonehill didn't get any of my hard earned but the Manchester gig is one I've been searching for for some time now. I try to be fairly principled on these things but I can resist anything except temptation. Bastards.

The Paris and Stockholm concerts are the ones to have of course- magnificent playing from everyone, especially Trane who is just astounding. The best edition I found of the Paris date was the 4CD set on the French Trema label, En Concert Avec Europe 1, 2 discs from March with Trane and 2 from October with Stitt. I believe these may have been issued separately by Laserlight, can't vouch for the sound on those (or its 'greyness').

Slightly more on topic...

The Scheveningen set has already been out in the States on the Unique Jazz label under the somewhat vague title Miles Davis Quintet Live! with John Coltrane, RKO 1037.

The bonus cuts on the Lonehill have all been around on various issues before.

[

What about the Jazz Unlimited release of the Zurich set? Is that definitely grey, too, or is that some kind of radio thing with some kind of arrangement? Jazz Unlimited is part of or related to Storyville.

The JazzUnilimited CD has liner notes by Jan Lohmann, the author of THE Milles Davis Discography book. Doubt that he would contribute to a grey release!

[

The JazzUnilimited CD has liner notes by Jan Lohmann, the author of THE Milles Davis Discography book. Doubt that he would contribute to a grey release!

I know, but he also wrote the liners for the JUCD "Miscellaneous Miles" which includes the whole Newport "comeback"-gig, the two cuts from Bohemia with the Jaspar-Flanagan-Chambers-AT quintet, some tracks with Pres from Europe, fall '56 JATP tour, plus the session with Edelhagen... this is definitely "grey"!

And fegh Columbia for not releasing the full Newport set!

Here's what da Bastards have to say about it ...

Rare live work from the Miles Davis quintet with John Coltrane -- issued here with some even more interesting bonus tracks! The first 5 tracks on the album feature Davis and Coltrane blowing live in Den Haag in April of 1960 -- playing long renditions of Davis-tuned classics that include "So What", "Walkin", "On Green Dolphin Street", and "Round Midnight".

Is this date correct? I have a three track CD titles "Copenhagen - 1960" on the Royal Jazz label and it says "Recorded in Copenhagen, Denmark, March 24th, 1960". The three tunes are "So What", "On Green Dolphin Street" and "All Blues/Theme". Did they record the band more than once in Copenhagen or is the date wrong on one of these CDs?

If these Royal Jazz tracks are the same ones on this Lonehill CD plus "'Round Midnight" from the same concert, I may have to break my vow of non-support for Lonehill as well. Trane is on fire on this and if there's an extra track... well, I wouldn't mind getting that.

Kevin

Kevin, I don't believe any of these tracks on the Lonehill are from Copenhagen. "Den Haag" is in the Netherlands. (Correct?)

Yet another attempt by Lonehill to confuse collectors into considering buying what they already have by shifting title and/or leader credits.

Edited by jazzbo

Kevin, I don't believe any of these tracks on the Lonehill are from Copenhagen.  "Den Haag" is in the Netherlands. (Correct?)

Oh. I saw "Den Haag" and immediately saw "Copenhagen Denmark" for some reason! I guess Denmark and Copenhagen fooled my eyes. Doh. :)

Well then, have the three tracks from Royal Jazz's "Live In Copenhagen" ever shown up elsewhere with extra material? As I said, Trane goes nutso on these three tunes so any extra material would be welcome.

BTW, it sounds like I should look for this Paris material but can you guys recommend the best version? You know: best sound, all of the tunes, good price, availability, etc.

Kevin