Blue Note "two-fers".

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

.  Anyway, I still have the Stanley Turrentine twofer with a lot of material (arranged by Duke Pearson in the late 60's) that hasn't been reissued since (not on CD). 

So, was this stuff from Always Something There and The Look of Love?

Or is it possible there's BN Stanley I don't have?

Enquiring minds need to know! :P

Dan, there is BN Stanley that you don't have. :cool: Here's the deal. As I said, there is material on this twofer that hasn't been reissued since (and not before, so it's never been released anywhere else than on this twofer, afaik). Here's the breakdown:

1963-10-21 - cherry point,one o'clock jump (from “A Chip Off The Old Block”)

1964-01-24 - trouble #2 (from “Hustlin”)

1967-02-17 - she's a carioca (ela e carioca),samba do aviao (song of the jet),night song (theme from Golden Boy) - all previously unissued.

1967-06-23 - bonita, better luck next time, flying jumbo - all previously unissued.

1968-04-15 - smile (from “The Look Of Love”)

1968-10-01 - little green apples (from “Always Something There”)

1968-10-28 - those were the days,song for bonnie (from “Always Something There”)

Yes, overall the brown paper BN two-fers were superior in their selections.

All of these are must-have classics, many with some previously unreleased tracks.

Here are the brown paper titles from 1975-76, which weren't in print very long:

BN-LA 451  Paul Chambers/John Coltrane - High Step

BN-LA 453  Sam Rivers - Involution

BN-LA 456  Lester Young - The Alladin Sessions

BN-LA 457  Jackie McLean - Jacknife

BN-LA 458  Cecil Taylor - In Transition

BN-LA 459  Andrew Hill - One for One

BN-LA 460  McCoy Tyner - Cosmos

BN-LA 461  Gil Evans - Pacific Standard Time

BN-LA 472  Chick Corea - Circling In

BN-LA 475  Sonny Rollins - More From the Vanguard

BN-LA 506  Elvin Jones - The Prime Element

BN-LA 507  Fats Navarro - Prime Source

BN-LA 521  Johnny Griffin/Coltrane/Mobley - Blowin'Sessions

BN-LA 529  Paul Horn - In India

BN-LA 530  The Jazz Crusaders - The Young Rabbits

BN-LA 531  Wes Montgomery - Beginnings

BN-LA 532  Gerry Mulligan/Lee Konitz - Revelation

BN-LA 533  T-Bone Walker - Classics of Modern Blues

BN-LA 579  Thelonious Monk - The Complete Genius

BN-LA 591  Art Pepper - Early Art

BN-LA 632  Jean-Luc Ponty - Canteloupe Island 

The producer of these was Michael Cuscuna, with some by Pete Welding.  Charlie Lourie was Project Director of the Blue Note Reissue Series.  (The sharp-eyed observer will see a pattern here.)

You got it, dude.  Most of these became complete Mosaics -- save Montgomery, Rollins, Ponty, Horn, and Tyner. 

The presence of 'Dr.' Jive Butler was nowhere to be found.

The micro-dot sets never grabbed me -- visually or aesthetically.  Maybe I'm a sucker for plain brown paper and the grain of its texture.

This was generally a great series, though the pressings were not very good (to put it mildly...)

.  Anyway, I still have the Stanley Turrentine twofer with a lot of material (arranged by Duke Pearson in the late 60's) that hasn't been reissued since (not on CD). 

So, was this stuff from Always Something There and The Look of Love?

Or is it possible there's BN Stanley I don't have?

Enquiring minds need to know! :P

Dan, there is BN Stanley that you don't have. :cool: Here's the deal. As I said, there is material on this twofer that hasn't been reissued since (and not before, so it's never been released anywhere else than on this twofer, afaik). Here's the breakdown:

1963-10-21 - cherry point,one o'clock jump (from “A Chip Off The Old Block”)

1964-01-24 - trouble #2 (from “Hustlin”)

1967-02-17 - she's a carioca (ela e carioca),samba do aviao (song of the jet),night song (theme from Golden Boy) - all previously unissued.

1967-06-23 - bonita, better luck next time, flying jumbo - all previously unissued.

1968-04-15 - smile (from “The Look Of Love”)

1968-10-01 - little green apples (from “Always Something There”)

1968-10-28 - those were the days,song for bonnie (from “Always Something There”)

Thanks, Jim! Email incoming! :)

Any thoughts on the Paul Horn two-fer?

At $2.50 a slice, why not take a flyer on it?

I picked up the Andrew Hill and Cecil Tayler paper bag 2-fers earlier this month at the local record conv.

The Hill includes three never before release sessions. Anyone know what the eventual releases were titled? Side 1 is OK, the tracks with string quartet on side 2 are interesting, but I really dig sides 3 & 4 with Hill, Henderson, Hubbard, Davis and Chambers.

The Taylor 2-fer includes his Transition sessions (all of them???), a UA release, and one unreleased track... all of it highly enjoyable.

Is the Randy Weston - Little Niles two-fer considered part of a different series? My copy is in a brown paper cover with 1976 date printed on the cover... BN-LA 598.

Yes, overall the brown paper BN two-fers were superior in their selections.

All of these are must-have classics, many with some previously unreleased tracks.

Here are the brown paper titles from 1975-76, which weren't in print very long:

BN-LA 451  Paul Chambers/John Coltrane - High Step

BN-LA 453  Sam Rivers - Involution

BN-LA 456  Lester Young - The Alladin Sessions

BN-LA 457  Jackie McLean - Jacknife

BN-LA 458  Cecil Taylor - In Transition

BN-LA 459  Andrew Hill - One for One

BN-LA 460  McCoy Tyner - Cosmos

BN-LA 461  Gil Evans - Pacific Standard Time

BN-LA 472  Chick Corea - Circling In

BN-LA 475  Sonny Rollins - More From the Vanguard

BN-LA 506  Elvin Jones - The Prime Element

BN-LA 507  Fats Navarro - Prime Source

BN-LA 521  Johnny Griffin/Coltrane/Mobley - Blowin'Sessions

BN-LA 529  Paul Horn - In India

BN-LA 530  The Jazz Crusaders - The Young Rabbits

BN-LA 531  Wes Montgomery - Beginnings

BN-LA 532  Gerry Mulligan/Lee Konitz - Revelation

BN-LA 533  T-Bone Walker - Classics of Modern Blues

BN-LA 579  Thelonious Monk - The Complete Genius

BN-LA 591  Art Pepper - Early Art

BN-LA 632  Jean-Luc Ponty - Canteloupe Island 

The producer of these was Michael Cuscuna, with some by Pete Welding.  Charlie Lourie was Project Director of the Blue Note Reissue Series.  (The sharp-eyed observer will see a pattern here.)

You got it, dude.  Most of these became complete Mosaics -- save Montgomery, Rollins, Ponty, Horn, and Tyner. 

The presence of 'Dr.' Jive Butler was nowhere to be found.

The micro-dot sets never grabbed me -- visually or aesthetically.  Maybe I'm a sucker for plain brown paper and the grain of its texture.

Is the Randy Weston - Little Niles two-fer considered part of a different series? My copy is in a brown paper cover with 1976 date printed on the cover... BN-LA 598.

Mine too. Also missing from the list, I believe:

BN-LA 474-H2 Horace Silver - The Trio Sides

BN-LA 485-H2 Herbie Nichols - The Third World

BN-LA 488-H2 Booker Ervin - Back from the Gig

BN-LA 496-H2 Freddie Hubbard - Here to Stay

BN-LA 590-H2 Milt Jackson - All Star Bags

These I'm unsure of:

BN-LA 473-J2 Art Blakey - Live Messengers

BN-LA 483-H2 Jackie McLean - Hipnosis

My copy of "Hipnosis" is glossy, but I think I've seen a paper bag issue pictured on the web at some point.

Edited by Daniel A

Have you seen those French 'paper bag' single LPs, Brownie? I have a couple of them - there's a Warne Marsh within that batch, I think.

I saw them all and still have several of them, including the two Errol Garner twelve-inchers 'Overture to Dawn' and 'Yesterdays'.

The series was produced by good friend Gilles Gautherin who was working out of the United Artists offices less than a block from the place where I was working in.

The releases of the Garner sides brought him trouble with the head office (probably after Martha Glaser made threatening call to UA over the reissues).

Other reissues from the series which were very welcome because the originals were very hard to get were the Tal Farlow 'Early Tal' (early BN sessions), the Bill Perkins 'Tenors Head-On' (from Liberty) and the Marsh 'Jazz of Two Cities'.

Glossy Two-Fers that I have are:

Art Blakey - Live Messengers

Chick Corea - Circulus

Jackie McLean - Hipnosis

Lee Morgan - The Procrastinator

Stanley Turrentine - Jubilee Shouts

They were the last of the Two-Fers and were all released on the same day. Think that the aforementioned Jazz Crusaders album was the sixth item in the release. Never got that one.

No, Hipnosis was a glossy cover. It just used the same cover photo as the earlier Jacknife.

Right you are, Jim! I was thinking of Jacknife, which I'm sure I've seen as both glossy and non-ditto (maybe in a thread at the BNBB regarding the cover art of the then upcoming reissue - you know the one which said Jacnife, wthout a 'k', before it was corrected).

Edited by Daniel A

• 2 years later...

Not twofers, but I wasn't sure where to post this. I just picked up ten of these still sealed for $38 bucks. Seemed like a good deal. Any comments on this Best Of Blue Note Years Series? Apparently they were for Blue Note's 50th Anniversary, issued in 1989. Is this the full set of them? How is the sound?

post-11085-1225296335_thumb.jpg

BTW - one or two of the brown paper bag series had print in yellow ink - almost unreadable!

The only one I kept is the Randy Weston - 'cause it includes four cuts from the UA LP "Destry Rides Again" that wasn't included in the Mosaic Select upon Randy's request.

I find the remastering for the CDs much better, and the Elvin Jones "The Prime Element" had some ugly audible edits!